infinity RS5b - And so it Begins - a Little Spit & Polish

MrBuhl
MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
edited January 2018 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Received my Madisound order of Clarity ESA and PX caps Friday, so today was crossover upgrade day for my curb find RD5bs. On a free speaker, at Clarity clearance prices I went with what was cheap and didn't worry about mixing lines of caps within the same brand. First a reminder of what we are dealing with:

40bezjdag33z.jpg

17xu1ualybrw.jpg

Next up, organize new caps and remove the offending old caps... I was able to find a 250v 15uf ESA to exactly match the stacked 250v 5uf &10uf from the original xovers, also a 5uf 250v PX to replace the 100v 5uf from the original. For the original 100v 7uf (10%) I selected a 250v 5% 6.8uf figuring it was close enough to tolerance.

ryhkth8l99k9.jpg

pvtzyxsixxii.jpg

Next I loosened one of the inductors and repositioned 90 degrees off axis from the other on the xover board, it should help SQ and also gave the added benefit of more space.

bnvjvyp911qf.jpg

Finally it came down to soldering in the new caps and buttoning things up. I have to say, prior to joining this forum, I would have never even thought to do something like this. More importantly I would have never attempted it. Instead, I tackled this project in a little under two hours start to cleaned up & finished. I'm certainly no pro, but I'm grateful for all the help and guidance along the years that's made me comfortable with "Joe Homeowner" quality repairs like this!

whaeo3uers5z.jpg

ad4fmnzkqtl1.jpg

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
SACD Marantz DV8300
Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
Yamaha YP-D6
Soundcraftsmen PCR800
Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
Pho-700 Phono Pre
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Comments

• MrBuhl
    edited January 2018
    Hmmm - Dang it all.

I should have looked it up first I guess, looks like I need to get back in there and change my "90 degree" axis to the correct 90 degree axis, I just assumed one was as good as another. Joe Homeowner indeed!

edit: Side note - "kill yourself" alignment - LOL.

d7ezuuc1t7xt.png
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    That was from the Factory like that?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

Yeah, somewhere between a "soup sandwich" and a "football bat". :p
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    I had a heck of a time doing my Infinity Rsb's, especially since I bought all new inductors. The low pass coil was about 3 pounds of flat wound copper, and HUGE. Arranging was a pain. I ended up buying some Derlin (recommended by VR3) and construction all new boards, including new Cardas posts, and then ended up doing it three times because of various circuit configurations available.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    Nice job!

That little cigar shaped thing is an inductor also (says mh on it). If you decide to reorient it be careful as the iron core could break if that glue is strong and you have to force removal
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • MrBuhl

Hey David - yep, just like pic #2 above - I'm thinking I need to lay flat that one that I stood up again, and pickup the other one and stand that one on end and rotate, or should I just rotate the one I stood up? I'm uncertain if the third inductor there is iron or air core but either way, seems like moving both may be the best solution?
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Nice job!

That little cigar shaped thing is an inductor also (says mh on it). If you decide to reorient it be careful as the iron core could break if that glue is strong and you have to force removal

Thanks! I'm not going to the inductor replacement level on these "rescue" speaks, hard to believe an iron core could break that easy tho!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    11tsteve wrote: »
    I had a heck of a time doing my Infinity Rsb's, especially since I bought all new inductors. The low pass coil was about 3 pounds of flat wound copper, and HUGE. Arranging was a pain. I ended up buying some Derlin (recommended by VR3) and construction all new boards, including new Cardas posts, and then ended up doing it three times because of various circuit configurations available.

I tried to remove these boards to work on them, looked like just two simple screws holding them on but they are also glued, couldn't even budge them, thanfully removed 10" woofers leave some room to work!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Great job so far, Ed! Godspeed!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Not sure if that's iron core or not, but it's too close to the air core, and the little iron core. Might be better to just move it off the board entirely. I'd also flip one of the corner air-cores on its side for good measure
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited January 2018
    MrBuhl wrote: »

Hey David - yep, just like pic #2 above - I'm thinking I need to lay flat that one that I stood up again, and pickup the other one and stand that one on end and rotate, or should I just rotate the one I stood up? I'm uncertain if the third inductor there is iron or air core but either way, seems like moving both may be the best solution?
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Nice job!

Thanks! I'm not going to the inductor replacement level on these "rescue" speaks, hard to believe an iron core could break that easy tho!

Ferrite is very fragile. It can shatter very easily.
    What Aaron is talking about is the little one between the iron core inductor and the rheostat thing marked 5ohm 5w.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Is there a butyl surround available for those cones?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • MrBuhl
    Not sure honestly, I did end up buying foam replacements. I'd be afraid changing the surround material might change the compliance of the woofer?

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• pitdogg2
    Not sure honestly, I did end up buying foam replacements. I'd be afraid changing the surround material might change the compliance of the woofer?

It would yes
    The new foam for it will last longer than the last as they are made out if different stuff than 20 years ago.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2018
    This is the Co. I use. The glue gives you a working time before it hardens. Great directions and a video on-line to instruck you and shows how easy it can be.This is JUST a SAMPLE of their ads. They should have one to match exactly! I have done a few Infinity's last year with 100% sucess.

I just looked for your exact model and didn't find it. You can also call them and see what they have for you if they do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITY-RS-5-SPEAKER-Parts-6-1-2-Woofer-Foam-Edge-Repair-Kit-FSK-6-5-/140666291953?hash=item20c05d46f1
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • xschop
    I was thinking in terms of longevity of butyl and the possibilty it's slightly stiffer compliance makes up for the deteriorated compliance of the spider in the axial plane.
  • Rick Cobb is often recommended as a good supplier of foam. Always recognized as providing the correct foam too. He has an eBay store, under the name "looneytune2001". Send him a request, and I'm sure he'll have suggestions.

stores.ebay.com/looneytune2001/?_dmd=1&_nkw=infinity
  • MrBuhl
    edited January 2018
    Much appreciated gents - I had already purchased (arrived today in fact) the replacement surrounds from a vendor I used on the last two sets of woofers that I refoamed, (a set of ARs and a set of Infinitys), hopefully they will do the trick! And as pointed out by @pitdogg2, the new foams will last longer than I'm going to own them, and probably longer than the original.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• xschop
    edited January 2018
    Good deal...any Dynamat in the mix?

Also at what crossover point would a woofer need some soundfoam to do any good?
  • MrBuhl
    ^^ yep, Dynamat definitely in the mix ^^

Soundfoam? Assuming you mean BH5 or similar? Not sure honestly, the cabinet is stuffed chock full of damping though!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• xschop
    Yes BH5 or similar on back wall. Those look like large enough cabinets where you could experiment with dacron etc. and get the bass just right. Good job on those X-overs. The factory sent them out looking like rats' nests.
  • MrBuhl
    edited January 2018
    Another step done, Dynamat Xtreme applied to woofer baskets and rough clean of degraded surrounds is complete. I still need to remove final glue residue and then start the foam surround replacement. I was able to save the foam baffle rings which is great, as someone once told me, they complete the look and perhaps provide some small protection for the surround.

qlzlo6cr42mm.jpg

qvfg3gfreahi.jpg

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• pitdogg2
    The one thing i hate about doing foam on infinitys is putting that foam on the back side of their woofers. Total pita!! I did some 6.5" infinity drivers and swore off any others smaller than 10" after the 6.5" just not enough room to work back there. Many had said to just put them on the front but shoot it don't look right and it is not the way they came. Some of their graphite like cones you had to be real careful as they can split towards the phase plug easy if not careful.
    It is real easy to get foam debris down in the VC as well. I always cut index cards to shove down into the VC to help keep it out if there.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    What an Ambitious Undertaking! Looking forward to the Finished Project!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Great job. Not having glue visible is a good job indeed!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited January 2018
    oegflvfr0r8a.jpg
    On that bottom woofer, near the bottom, is that old glue, or new glue that's separated?

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • MrBuhl
    ^^ Good eyes!! ^^ That's old glue, I got to the point inside those tight rims where I was peeling paint, and that is now covered completely by the baffle gaskets, so I didn't worry too much about that.
    Tony M wrote: »
    Great job. Not having glue visible is a good job indeed!

Thanks - on those opaque drivers, it required a little extra love, but worth it!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre