2000 Year speaker capacitor replacement?

13»

Comments

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    The only mods I have done to my 3 sets of speakers, have netted positive results.

What would my RT800's have retailed for if they were loaded with Duelund VSF caps?

I loved my RT speakers for HT and even music, sure there are worthwhile upgrades, but Polk assembled them in a fashion that sounded great out of the box.

If you want to take on further R&D to improve the sound...make no mistake, that will come at a cost to you. Polk already did that for us and the price reflects that when sold at high volumes.

Some upgrades may not improve the sound, some may improve it greatly.

I think my RT800's sound good after the upgrade. Looking for that last bit of top end sparkle....again, may not be a desirable effect. You get used to the sound from the stock setup, but after some higher end crossover components, you likely get to hear the music more accurately.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    F1nut wrote: »
    Cool, now I know one.

It wasn't a mock

The Zu superfly are on my efficient speaker list, that I may pair up with my 12watt Unison Simply Italy tooby integrated ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I didn't take it as one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• back to my original comment. If this is true, caps must be broken in before installed in new speakers. Otherwise many new speakers would sound like ****. Never heard a salesman say "these $5000 speakers sound like **** now but just wait until they have a few hundred hours on them" lol

Either way, you guys have made me terrified to mess with my stuff now. hahaha

Many of the speaker reviews in The Absolute Sound or Stereophile, note burn in time, or mention letting the speakers play for X amount of time, before beginning the actual review process. And when I worked in high end audio as a salesman, we tried not to sell our demo speakers, because they were broken in. The demo models were sold when they were replaced with a new series or model, from the manufacturer.

And don't fear the upgrade. After, you'll wonder why you waited so long!
  • DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 15
    edited January 2018
    F1Nut: "Do you really expect anyone to believe you swapped out 30 year old electrolytics for new electrolytics and nothing changed? How do I know you only used new electrolytics....."

Now your changing the subject. Electrolytics degrade over time. The subject is with new caps doing some mythical burn-in or not to make their sonic signature change.

PDog: " So capacitors are capacitors are capacitors? No difference in sound between any of them from any company at any price? So then why does jantzen have several price points and market them as better going up their line or price point.....??
    So they are admitting their cheapest is no better that their most expensive?

Tell you what just save your money buy all Solen's and be done.

There is a difference between brands and price points and yes I've recapped many and heard differences as they break in."

Where did I say that? Now you're making things up and putting words in my mouth. Still waiting to hear what changes in the capacitor to make it sound different.

GMan: "However based on your posts in this thread, I found this quite ironic...taken from the Jantzen website.

Interesting what one "Audio Expert" stated about the "mythical burn in".

My quote is from from a direct email correspondence from with Michael Jantzen on the subject.

If you want to believe in a myth that's fine but the changes are happening between your ears.

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739

This thread started out constructive and informative then you came here to completely de-rail the OP's quest for upgrading components, regardless of the fact you state the changes happen all at once as opposed to over time.
    DavidR wrote: »
    If you want to believe in a myth that's fine but the changes are happening between your ears.

Rest assured, the changes between my ears are not from your own mythical beliefs.

I have no idea what your agenda is on this thread other than to spread some sort of your own mythical beliefs onto others and tell people what they experience in terms of how something sounds and how it changes.

Apparently you have re-written the book on capacitor burn-in and the changes different caps make, and no other person after countless listening sessions, has ever heard any change.

Also, after the numerous threads of capacitor burn in, why did you choose this thread after approx 3 years to tell people what they can or cannot hear?

If you want to state your opinion that you dont believe there is a change, then that's your choice...you're completely entitled to it. But you don't get to tell people what they hear or don't hear, as well as thousands or more other people that they can clearly hear a difference...because someone emailed you stating they don't think they should change.

I respect Mr. Jantzens opinions but that doesn't mean I don't hear a difference..or anyone else for that matter.

I never heard much of a difference in my gear until I started using higher quality components, then the resolution of the source material started to unfold in greater detail.

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 15
    Still waiting for evidence on what is happening (changes) to the capacitor that would cause a difference in sound.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    DavidR wrote: »
    Now your changing the subject. Electrolytics degrade over time. The subject is with new caps doing some mythical burn-in or not to make their sonic signature change.

Nope, it's you trying to song and dance out of what you said, which was after changing caps in speakers and amps that you never heard a difference. Since everyone knows electrolytics degrade it stands to reason changing them after say 30 years will result in a change of sound. Yet, you never heard a difference. Let me repeat that, YOU NEVER HEARD A DIFFERENCE! Therefore, your credibility is zero.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Who wants a cute bunny gif?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Who wants a cute bunny gif?

fdbnqkvwbzzl.gif
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    So how much of the burn in process of a freshly rebuilt crossover change is created by the the caps and how much is due to replacing the resistors at the same time?

Do new inductors change during burn in also?

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553

F1nut wrote: »
    You do not want Solen caps.

I agree but what’s your take on Solens? I used them when I first started rebuilding cheap speakers but I also used “bad” speaker wire. I’m using Sonics or Clarity's depending on budget now. Went through Mundorf but they seem to take years to break in.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    From my experience Solen's in the high pass are very shrill.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    It would be an interesting experiment to give an experienced audiphile a pair of well burnt in speakers but tell him they are newly capped.

See if he notices any "harshness" at first but raves about the speakers after 100 hours.