New (to me) amp: McCormack DNA-125

Comments

• Tony MTony M Posts: 6,506
    edited January 11
    Here is what a minute of testing shows on two systems of mine with amps.

I saw my NAD Int. is a C370. Not a 372.. sorry.

I tested the 555II first. with a Adcom GTP-450 Pre.
    The amp runs silent.
    The pre has issues of bleed through. When you turn the pre on, the tuner is automatically shown in the window.
    I selected the CD source. I turned the Vol. dial to 11:00. I put my ear toward a tweeter. I heard a faint, very faint noise but not hiss. It is even lower than a hiss but then again, my hiss hearing isn't what it used to be either. I got to an inch and it was the radio playing. I couldn't make out any music or words but it was def. the FAINTEST of what a song would sound like if you took it to the weakest level before zero sound. But it was there. Picture the tiniest radio boombox you could imagine. O picture a boombox a mile or more away from you and you know it's playing and you concentrate and can just hear something that sounds like it's coming from it. This is that sound. ;)
    I switched to Video 1. Same very faint noise. same vol. vvvv
    I switched to Video 2. Same very faint noise. Vol. at 11:00 to 12:00
    I switched to Video 3 / Aux. Whoa...NO NOISE. that shocked me. Why not be like the rest? Wierd!

Now to the big rig.

Turned on the NAD. Of course a little soft click at turn on.
    NAD pre. comes on automatically. Vol. at zero.
    Turned the pre to CD and turned on CD player. Vol. to 11:00.
    No hum at all from the amp.
    I go to my SRS2's. No noise or his at all.
    I switch to Aux. since my TT is on those inputs through a Phono pre-amp.
    I see the pre isn't on. I've unplugged it the last Lightning storm and I don't want to move some stuff to plug it in right now.

I will def. test things with emphsis on unit hum and speaker hiss OR radio bleed in the future.

Like I said, I don't want to know there is hiss in my tweeters IF I spent a lot of $$$ on something that permits it to exist. Now I buy everything secondhand and have gotten GREAT deals on things and speakers. I can live with VERY SLIGHT NOISE if I can't hear it from 1" or so from what's making it. I'd try to find out if there is a perticular thing making it and then KNOW exactly which component needs to be replaced if it gets too loud in the future. I have tinitus the past 5 months or so. It sucks. So maybe I wouldn't hear a hiss if there was one at this Frequency in my hearing. BUT the ringing does stop for a second when it wants to and then back to the BS. 24/7.

I'm def. NOT OCD personality. I used to be with dust and dirt in the house but I've mellowed over time due to age and the bad 10 years. I'll still wash my hands after picking up a little dust ball off the wood floor. Dust Mites you know. ;)

That noise, like a very tiny radio playing, was coming from those Cerwin Vega's I refoamed a few months ago. They have horn teeters and are very efficient. It doesn't take much to get them loud. So to have the lowest of noise coming from that tweeter shows the bleed through from the Adcom pre is very, very low. But it IS bleeding the tuners sound to some other sources.

Pretty interesting!

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,963
    edited January 11
    That's interesting that you didn't hear any hiss from the tweeters or transformer hum from the NAD. Sounds like you got a high quality unit there.

Oh also that the 555II had no hum. Go ahead and drop that in the mail to me if you would.
    edited January 11
    Got it from a Pawn Shop YEARS ago and it is like new. I've been using it pretty much since I got the set, I guess I've kept the guts energized and didn't let them get dried out. Man did it sound BEAUTIFUL when I switched to tuner and turned the vol. up a bit. Those SRS2"s are MAGNIFICENT! Thank you POLK AUDIO. <3
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,165
    Slight hum or hiss is not a trait of what makes a piece quality or not. Some just by design will have a harder/easier time with it's playmates and cabling hooked up to it. Too many variables with hum or hiss to blame one thing.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    edited January 11
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's perfectly normal to hear a slight hiss with your ear an inch or two from a tweeter. When using tube gear it's a guarantee you will hear it.

No guarantee on tube gear. That is one aspect that blew me away (along with several clients) with the MastersounD gear. No hiss, no hum... even the background is black. I've now heard a half dozen different amps in my house and they all share this same quality.

I would expect most, if not all tube amps produced in China to have some form of hum or hiss. Companies that build quality transformers its not as black and white on.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    Clipdat wrote: »
    That's interesting that you didn't hear any hiss from the tweeters or transformer hum from the NAD. Sounds like you got a high quality unit there.

Oh also that the 555II had no hum. Go ahead and drop that in the mail to me if you would.

I have 3 of them now. I could.

What YOU need is the Nelson Pass designed Adcom GFA-555 original.
  • StevieBStevieB Posts: 232
    edited January 11

deleted
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • StevieBStevieB Posts: 232
    edited January 11
    tonyb wrote: »
    StevieB wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the McCormack. My new to me DNA-1, kicked the Parasound A23's azz all the way from Florida to New Hampshire! B)

LOL, glad to hear this. I don't push them for no reason. On the used markets now, they are a few steps up from the Parasounds and B&k's we all love. All good amps in their own right too.

The McCormack sounds very good with the 3.1's. Honestly the best $800 I've spent in a long time.
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 4,323
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the McCormack. My new to me DNA-1, kicked the Parasound A23's azz all the way from Florida to New Hampshire! B)

LOL, glad to hear this. I don't push them for no reason. On the used markets now, they are a few steps up from the Parasounds and B&k's we all love. All good amps in their own right too.

I have 2 of them although only using the deluxe.

Have an Adcom, B&K reference, and the other McCormack sitting on a rack.

Sitting on a rack ??
    Send the McCormack to me and I'll let it sit on my rack actually doing something. :) :D

Send me a filled medium envelope.

B)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,628
    edited January 11
    DSkip wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's perfectly normal to hear a slight hiss with your ear an inch or two from a tweeter. When using tube gear it's a guarantee you will hear it.

No guarantee on tube gear. That is one aspect that blew me away (along with several clients) with the MastersounD gear. No hiss, no hum... even the background is black. I've now heard a half dozen different amps in my house and they all share this same quality.

I would expect most, if not all tube amps produced in China to have some form of hum or hiss. Companies that build quality transformers its not as black and white on.

It's not the trannies that make the hiss, it's the tubes, commonly called tube rush. I don't know how a tube amp would not have it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

I have 2 of them although only using the deluxe.

Have an Adcom, B&K reference, and the other McCormack sitting on a rack.

Sitting on a rack ??
    Send the McCormack to me and I'll let it sit on my rack actually doing something. :) :D

Send me a filled medium envelope.

B)

Dagos and envelopes are like pb&j....I can send ya one. Can't guarantee what it will be filled with though. :)
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    It had been since last week Wednesday that I requested the refund, and I still hadn't seen it as of today.

So I emailed them and asked how many business takes it typically takes to process a refund. Got a response stating "It was processed on our end but sometimes it can take a while to show up in your account"

1.5 hours later, I get an email from Paypal stating I've received a refund. Coincidence? They can take your money instantly, but you gotta nag them after 5 business days have passed to get it back.

Whatever, it's over. I'm out $55 for the return shipping, I'll never do business with TMR Audio again, and let us never speak of this thread again.
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 657
    It had been since last week Wednesday that I requested the refund, and I still hadn't seen it as of today.

So I emailed them and asked how many business takes it typically takes to process a refund. Got a response stating "It was processed on our end but sometimes it can take a while to show up in your account"

1.5 hours later, I get an email from Paypal stating I've received a refund. Coincidence? They can take your money instantly, but you gotta nag them after 5 business days have passed to get it back.

Whatever, it's over. I'm out $55 for the return shipping, I'll never do business with TMR Audio again, and let us never speak of this thread again.

Maybe its just me but I'll state it again. I think you are being a bit "hyper sensitive".
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,929
    This is the thread that never ends...
    Yes it goes on and on my friends!!
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,966
    Come on everybody...Join in....It's the Song

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,467
    lightman1 wrote: »
    This is the thread that never ends...
    Yes it goes on and on my friends!!

Just Iike herpegonasyphilaids you just never get over that stuff...
    They relisted it with the exact same description as before: "Functional Notes: Operational condition of this item is excellent, fully tested and no issues found."

That's strange that it says "no issues found". I sure found an "issue", and I reported it to them.

Let's just hope the next person who buys it doesn't mind a humming amplifier. Caveat Emptor.

http://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/mccormack-dna-125-stereo-power-amplifier/
  • VSAT88VSAT88 Posts: 590
    I just sent them an e mail asking if they would sell it to me for 899.00 without the hissssss.
    LOL, if you really did, they are gonna get mad.
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    I just sent them an e mail asking if they would sell it to me for 899.00 without the hissssss.

They relisted it with the exact same description as before: "Functional Notes: Operational condition of this item is excellent, fully tested and no issues found."

That's strange that it says "no issues found". I sure found an "issue", and I reported it to them.

Let's just hope the next person who buys it doesn't mind a humming amplifier. Caveat Emptor.

http://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/mccormack-dna-125-stereo-power-amplifier/

Not totally correct there pal. You found an issue, but you did not determine if it was the amp or something else within your system.

You have to be willing to problem solve when dealing with new or used gear. Even new amps can cause the same things.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    Tony, he did a fairly decent job determining it was the amp. He did as well as anyone not so electronically inclined could do.... what more do you want?
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    DSkip wrote: »
    Tony, he did a fairly decent job determining it was the amp. He did as well as anyone not so electronically inclined could do.... what more do you want?

Maybe I missed something then Skip. I don't recall him doing anything about the incoming power at the wall, ground loops, or trying a different pre amp, different cabling. All things most of us would try before kicking a piece to the curb....at least some of those things anyway.

Granted, noise in ones system is aggravating and we all have different levels of tolerance for it. Personally I have none myself, but I do my due diligence to remove it as best I can. Blaming the seller solely in this instance just doesn't seem right.

Plus the 55 buck shipping fee....c'mon man. If the amp was faulty I'm sure they would have covered the shipping. Regardless, in the end....it cost the man 55 bucks to try something out, didn't work out for him and he got a refund. I'd love to try a bunch of different gear for the measly cost of 55 bucks. I'm just not seeing the big beef he has with this company.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 657
    and let us never speak of this thread again.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

edited January 19
    I took it to my office building and thus tried it on a completely different source of power.
    Maybe I missed something then Skip. I don't recall him doing anything about the incoming power at the wall

We're not discussing this abortion of a thread, just following up about how they're relisting an arguably defective item and trying to make another quick sale on it. They're not fully disclosing it's condition accurately.

Nobody is forcing you to continue posting in here @tratliff , so move along if you don't have anything to contribute
    tratliff wrote: »
    and let us never speak of this thread again.
    Technically it cost me $110 because I spent $805 and got $695 back.
    Plus the 55 buck shipping fee
    55 bucks to try something out
    measly cost of 55 bucks.

• kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,585
    edited January 19
    I'm not sure what else The Music Room is to do...they took it back in, hooked it up and they found no problem. Should they have to post on their ad that a customer previously bought the item and believed there was a problem with it, returned it and now it's being relisted though we found no problem with it? You're making it sound like they are an underhanded company trying to pull something over on the audio buying public and I don't see that. They have a pretty good history. I realize your butt is sore from the shipping costs you have lost, but, to tarnish a fairly reputable company because of that is a bit petty.

As far as "the thread that won't end" goes, people, if you don't want to read it please, PLEASE, don't go to the trouble of moving your cursor over the thread link and then clicking on it. Unless you just want a reason to complain. Seems like there's a lot of that going around, must be the cabin fever from the bad weather.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

^^^^^^
    You will accept an amp that hums and lets hiss get to the tweeters.

Drew will not accept those issues, especially since said Co. doesn't state it in either ad they've posted on it.

Drew has opinions and you do and we all do.

Why degrade him. He tried his heart out to get rid of the HUM short of sending it in for a repair that might not have been a repair that could've fixed that hum. Maybe it's inherent for that amp to hum. I don't know, Drew doesn't know. Drew was respectful the whole time as were some others on this thread. I noticed another has that same amp but I didn't hear if that amp hummed or let hiss through to the tweeters. Any other McCormac owners want to weigh in on their amps hum and hiss topics?

Maybe that Co. DOES know it hums, therefore says nothing is out of the norm for it. Maybe.

110.00 is a lot of money for a lot of people and if that Co. was as good as you and others say it is, they should've AT LEAST covered one shipping charge. Maybe Drew would've then tried another one of their amps out.

I'm sharing factual occurrences, events, and real email conversations - and then sharing my personal opinions on them. I'm not sure how that means that I'm "tarnishing" a reputable company.

Never did I say "I will never again do business with this company, and neither should YOU!". Everyone can freely decide on their own if they want to deal with this company.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what else The Music Room is to do...they took it back in, hooked it up and they found no problem. Should they have to post on their ad that a customer previously bought the item and believed there was a problem with it, returned it and now it's being relisted though we found no problem with it? You're making it sound like they are an underhanded company trying to pull something over on the audio buying public and I don't see that. They have a pretty good history. I realize your butt is sore from the shipping costs you have lost, but, to tarnish a fairly reputable company because of that is a bit petty.