Polk Audio Command Bar - Official Discussion

13»

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    tonyb wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Yes... and through Bluetooth, can real time relay that info to manufacturers, police or spy agencies. Soon, they will be able to use it to shut down a vehicle rather than chase it.

Say goodbye to my bank robbing days then....dang it.

Snowshoes and balaclavas, my friend. Snowshoes and balaclavas.

You'd make a lousy bank robber Professor. :)

"Will Polk consider making both lines of products? That is, a majority of products that produce high quality sound (which is what Polk Audio was founded on). And, products that are produced for the "mass market", "ease of use/convenience" crowd? I hope so."

Hmm...thought they already did that. You have lifestyle products and speakers to match higher quality sounds.

They have Tony. I should have made it more clear that I am thinking about into the future and the direction that Polk Audio will go. Thanks for making me clear this up.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Personally I think they'll continue on the same path. Lifestyle products to address the changing times and good sounding speakers to stay true to their heritage.

The forum is a different animal though. Lifestyle products don't necessarily entice people to join audio forums. In my view, audio forums are for music lovers first and foremost, followed by the HT crowd. Just my opinion on that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Agreed Tony.

Regarding The Forum. What happens if (in the future) you need Alexa (or a similar device) to interact on The Forum? I am trying to think if the forum crowd dynamic would be changed, and what would bring that change (including decreased interest in the forum). I am not saying that this will happen by any means, and again I hope it doesn't.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • shawn474 wrote: »
    Here’s a legitimate question for the 50 or so members of this forum who have a problem with this product and how it was rolled out. Do you really think that a company as big as Polk and its parent company are going to introduce a product that doesn’t interest a proven target demographic? It’s hilarious that there are some on here posting that Polk should not have gone this route and that it won’t be of any interest - the Alexa modules have been flying off the shelves and not everyone is an audiophile. The sound bars are a HUGE market share for ease of use, low profile, and functionally superior to TV speakers. We may not be interested in the Alexa integration or the sound bar technology, but WE represent less than 1% of the demographic.

I would have shut the thread down as well. This forum came off as a bunch of holier than thou whiners over a product release.......if you want to be heard, start new threads to Polk CS about what YOU WANT TO SEE, not moaning about the things that are already available. Maybe, just maybe, Polk will listen. And if thy don’t there is probably a good reason for it - what you think as genius, they may perform the market research and figure out that they would lose their shirts on your great idea. It’s comical that people think in such narrow views - money and the potential for profit will drive EVERY company or they’re doomed to fail. Polk is no different in that regard.

And anyone suggesting that “censorship” was at play and that their rights were infringed upon because a thread was shut down, please understand that your participation in this forum is completely voluntary. If you feel this way, you may exercise your right not to visit or post on the forum. Otherwise, stay and positively contribute. This forum has never been about censorship - but it has been about respect, no brand bashing, no foul or suggestive language and certain topics are off limits. Many of us frequently toe the line in that regard with no repercussions......I usually side with POLK - if a thread is shut down, which is not often, they will get the benefit of the doubt from me

Very well stated! I agree 100%.

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Dodge brought back that Charger and now there's one on every corner. Maybe Polkazon should take note....Where's that dead horse animation.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2018
    shawn474 wrote: »

I just censored you. Ah, much better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    F1nut wrote: »
    shawn474 wrote: »

I just censored you. Ah, much better.

And you have every right to do so.....I generally agree with many of your viewpoints and stances on the forum. The beauty is that in some cases we can agree to disagree and move on

Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    MSN reporting today that US Automakers retooling iconic trucks.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I'm pulling for the Bronco reboot myself...

14803393032_89de782588_b.jpgbronchusspiffed by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mhardy6647
    sort of back on topic...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ces-was-full-of-useless-robots-and-machines-that-dont-work?ref=home

(source: https://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/73/732931.html)
    The FoldiMate fit right in with the other “smart home”-type products at CES, where the primary innovation in the past year seemed to be adding Amazon Alexa to absolutely everything.

The word "innovation" has finally lost any sense of meaning in 2018, methinks.

• dromunds
    Mhardy, I think the Bronco reboot was one of the ones mentioned.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    The word "innovation" has finally lost any sense of meaning in 2018, methinks.
    The term does seem thrown around rather promiscuously these days, doesn't it?
    - "Innovative Solutions"

I think I'd prefer if people just said "Neato Fixie Things"
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    dromunds wrote: »
    Mhardy, I think the Bronco reboot was one of the ones mentioned.

Yes, there is one comin' from Ford. I don't expect it'll have the panache of my '74, though.

Rubber floor mats and an AM radio -- and I want a horn ring on the steering wheel, too.

:)
  • dromunds
    Be nice to drive a new re-tooled [74] Bronco home with a pair of re-tooled SDA's in the back.
  • mhardy6647
    dromunds wrote: »
    Be nice to drive a new re-tooled [74] Bronco home with a pair of re-tooled SDA's in the back.

Naah, Polk Mini-Monitors! :)

(A pair of most of the SDAs would never fit in the back of an original sized Bronco)

• dromunds
    Don't the rear seats fold down? I can't remember. May have to get a re-tooled VW microbus. Lol
  • mhardy6647
    On mine, the rear seat unbolted and could be taken out.
    It reminded me of the back seat in a Cessna Skyhawk.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    First and foremost I must say that since I joined CP a little while ago I truly love this forum. I have received many comments and expert advice, and many opinions during my tenure. Laughed a lot, scratched my head a bit, but continued to dive into the volumes within this treasure trove of information.

During one trip deep in the archives, I was reading through a interview with Matthew Polk in this forum, during which he was reflecting on the fact that SDA technology initially was not eagerly accepted by the Audiophile community. What - how could that be? Mostly because I believe it was a smack in the face of the status quo. Also, commercially a lot of audio sellers were not on board for a variety of reasons. Eventually they did break through, became a commercial success, and IMO are amongst the best speakers ever developed.

Mr. Polk opined on the demise of the larger floor standing speakers, due to lifestyle changes and the push for small satellite, separate sub boxes. Not my first lifestyle choice, but the choice of a bunch of people out there.

My point is that any new technology introduction is always an experiment. Not all of it takes. I'm reminded of the Apple Newton. Utterly a commercial disaster, but look now everyone has smart phones.

Look at the race to develop autonomous vehicles. Not for everybody, but there is a market.

I am no way near being an early adopter but I love the evolution of technology and having the ability to make lifestyle changes in the future.

I am a big fan of the vintage 2 channel setups. I'm rebuilding a set of 1C's and been running a set of bone stock 2B's for many years on my vintage rig.

But I do have a separate 11.2 setup (was originally a 5.1, then 7.1) with all Polk RT satellites. And yes 2 Polk sub's !!!

There is a place for both, IMHO :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    I've got a Newton in the basement.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I've got a Newton in the basement.

Just one?

m0vh6lomf3sy.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Got a whole pack of that kind in the pantry.
    Strawberry.
    mmmmm.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Nice post Verb.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Nice post Verb.

Concur.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    You mean.... Alexa, please order more Humalog, Metformin, and whatever statin that's on clearance this week.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    52hz9ti1bszp.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Alexa....goto Polk Audio Forum.
    cepqkwlxkw78.jpeg

What’s great movie!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.