Best method of transporting vinyl records?

halo
halo Posts: 5,616
Hello everyone,

For those that have moved and have taken their record collection with them, what are some tips or tricks as to getting them there safely?

Best method of packing them? Packaging them?

And no, I'm not selling them or giving them away before I move. lol.

Thanks in advance!
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    FWIW, I just used cardboard boxes, mostly of the Home Despot kind. Fill 'em full.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The best thing is to let the records transport you. Just darken the room, grab an adult beverage and let the music flow trough you....

Oh, you meant move them to another location. I get it now. I used a double walled box that was the same dimension as the record themselves and filled the box to capacity so there was no movement or shifting about.

How many to you have to sell? I mean move... :DB)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    You can get some wooden LP boxes/crates if you're worried about anything. Depends on how many you have and how you value them. If highly collectable, etc. I've seen guys use LP hardcases. (That's what I'd use for my 1st pressing sealed Wildflowers, etc.) Definitely fill whatever box you use to capacity as stated above so no movement or shifting.
  • halo
    Thanks for the input folks!

I don't need anything super indestructible, I just want to make sure the bottom isn't going to fall out of the cardboard box from the weight of the records. The double walled boxes at H.D. sounds like a good idea. I have ~ 70 records now? Some are not in that great of condition. Others are new or limited editions. So I'd like to try and see if I can get them all there safely.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    Dollar for dollar the Home Despot boxes cannot be beaten -- that was feedback from one of my daughter's long-time friends, who has a moving company as kind of a side business (he's a tech guy of some sort). The heavy-duty boxes from HD are.... pretty heavy duty.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    These are tough and good enough for long term storage if necessary. I bought some for my last move a few years ago.

https://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimate-lp-storage-box-p/3strlpbox.htm
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Not inexpensive or of the highest quality, but when I came out here to LA I brought about 200 LP's with me, I bought the LP crates from Container Store, the bigger concern is making sure they don't overheat in transit. Plus side is that these have handles, stack and are easy to carry (because of handles)
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Emlyn wrote: »
    These are tough and good enough for long term storage if necessary. I bought some for my last move a few years ago.

https://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimate-lp-storage-box-p/3strlpbox.htm

I second this motion. I have about 30 of these I used to transport my LPs to the new house. They are real sturdy.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2018
    I just moved our record collection using over 50 boxes from U-Haul they were just right, but I got wore out lifting them completely full so I had to take 70% of the records out of each box near the end. Just about killed me. I could use them over for a couple of times.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I also have some of the Sleeve City boxes. Perfect fit. If possible, and you're driving, I'd maybe consider bringing them with you instead of in a moving truck?

Another idea would be the Container Store's "record crates". They're a little flimsy compared to real milk crates, and they're open, but they'd get the job done, though wouldn't protect against dirt/dust.

The Sleeve City ones fold like a bankers box. I'm not sure whether they've addressed this, but the version I have is designed incorrectly. If you know how bankers boxes work, and they haven't adjusted the design, you'll see what I mean when you go to fold one.
    I disabled signatures.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I used something similar to a milk crate, but they were deeper and wider.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • 12 inch Pizza boxes. Lay enough in to fill the box then tape it em up tight.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I would not go all out for transprting them. I would get some cardboard boxes a tad bigger than 12X12, pack them transport them and don't lay them or store them flat.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    Vertical pack not horizontal.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Hello go to the local 711 and steal all their milk crates out back.....
    It's what we did in the late 70's....
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited January 2018
    ^^ they resized those 70s milk crates. They no longer fit Lps these days! ^^
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited January 2018
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    ^^ they resized those 70s milk crates. They no longer fit Lps these days! ^^

That is somewhat true. Although they don't fit "perfectly" as they once did, you can load them in such a way (angled) where you can get about 70-80% the number of albums in them. Plus, they are a bit lighter than if they were full, AND it gives you space to get your hands inside the "handles". win/win/win :)
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2018
    I think they're metric milk crates ;)

One can still find vintage, LP-compatible milk crates.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" (as Pasteur observed).

:)
  • halo
    I like the idea of the boxes from the H.D. or the Sleeve City boxes. It's a 5 hour trip from Chicago to St. Louis. The move is less than a month away so, barring some freakish heat wave in February, heat is not likely going to be an issue. Thank you for all the replies! Much appreciated!