MW6511 / 6503 Anyone Using Modern Replacements - Update ?

I found an older post (2012) on this subject and was wondering if anyone has any more experience with the 6503's?

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/130086/mw6511-6503-anyone-using-modern-replacements

I found an issue on my 1C's that are in the middle of an overhaul.

The left channel has three MW6510's and only one MW6511 !!! (!@#$%&!!!) Looks like someone replaced a MW6511 in their previous life.

I'm finding the MW6511 are difficult to find, and understand the MW6503 is an exact replacement. True?

@westmassguy does this affect my XO board project?

I wanted to get some feedback on this subject while not getting lost in my current rebuild post:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179960/another-1c-upgrade-path#latest

Any and all comments are welcome !!!
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited December 2017
    The 6511 is 4 ohm, the 6510s are 8 ohms. You can either look on fleaBay for a salvaged 6511, or order the new replacement from Polk Customer Service.
    It must be the MW6511, no other driver can be used.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I recently picked up a very nice MW6511 off eBay, do a Saved Search, they do do come up for sale every so often.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    So I called Polk today about a replacement for the MW6511. They told me that they now have a direct replacement:

RD6110-1 (confirmed 4ohm)

However, the guy said that he recommends replacing them in pairs on my 1C due to the fact that they sound "a little different" than the MW6511's ?!?!?!

Does that sound right? No pun intended :smile:

Anyone have experience with the RD6110-1's ???

Thanks.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • westmassguy
    He's correct. They do blend well, but Doing mirror pairs is always better. Either two older 6511s, or two replacements.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • verb
    Thanks David. Always appreciate your prompt replies. So I bought 4 new MW’s !!!

List was $71 each but with CP discount and further haggling got em for $48 each with free shipping.

They’re on the way !!!
  • verb
    Yeah !!! My new MW's arrived today from Polk. Was all little worried as they came with no individual boxes, only in bubble wrap !!! WTF? After opening one I was relieved that they at least had a plastic shipping cover on the cone side.
    bq69ryqm2l9j.jpg
    Weird that the cover was hand cut. Most likely warehouse storage trays of some sort. No boxes though !!! Gotta check for magnet shifting !!!
    y3ysbw764ngm.jpg
    Another interesting thing is the part number. Polk claims that these are the RD6110-1's, but as you can see clearly it is marked MW6511. And another number RD6511.
    Anyone else have this experience?
    Are they RD6110's or MW6511's ???
  • verb
    Cone side of MW below:
    w4ezekpfaxps.jpg
  • verb
    Magnet side. Everything is good on all 4 MW's. Interesting looks like the seal has been replaced with an open cell foam:
    avinu8vlgecc.jpg
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    verb wrote: »
    Yeah !!! My new MW's arrived today from Polk. Was all little worried as they came with no individual boxes, only in bubble wrap !!! WTF? After opening one I was relieved that they at least had a plastic shipping cover on the cone side.
    bq69ryqm2l9j.jpg
    Weird that the cover was hand cut. Most likely warehouse storage trays of some sort. No boxes though !!! Gotta check for magnet shifting !!!
    y3ysbw764ngm.jpg
    Another interesting thing is the part number. Polk claims that these are the RD6110-1's, but as you can see clearly it is marked MW6511. And another number RD6511.
    Anyone else have this experience?
    Are they RD6110's or MW6511's ???

I would speculate the RD6110-1 and RD6511 are some sort of stock or ordering number, where the MW6511 is what we consider the model number.

Also, is the forum collective recommending these new MW's have glue added around their magnets?
  • westmassguy
    No glue on the magnets is required on the new woofers. You'll need to trim the rubber surround where it overlaps the mounting holes, otherwise, you'll pull and tear the rubber tightening the screws.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • verb
    No glue on the magnets is required on the new woofers. You'll need to trim the rubber surround where it overlaps the mounting holes, otherwise, you'll pull and tear the rubber tightening the screws.

Thanks Dave - I noticed the rubber overlaps. You have answered my question not yet asked !!!
  • westmassguy
    Be very carful cutting!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • verb
    Be very carful cutting!

Yep. Plan to use an X-acto knife. New blade.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Looks like they took notice of my no-nipple mod hehe.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    xschop wrote: »

If you are talking VC leads that happened way before you were here.
    I have a 1994 mw6501 that way
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Interesting looks like the seal has been replaced with an open cell foam

Once screwed down it won't be open any longer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I was referring to the extra stamped steel basket nipples, but I clipped those extra lead tabs as well and bent the mount further out of the air-flow path.
  • verb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I was referring to the extra stamped steel basket nipples, but I clipped those extra lead tabs as well and bent the mount further out of the air-flow path.

There's only one now on these babies (if that is what you are referring to):
    jtwefk3450qg.jpg
  • verb
    Another interesting thing I noticed it that the frame looks to be much stiffer than the original.
    They changed the cross section of the frame legs to include a structural channel.
    In engineer vernacular, a hat section. Much stiffer than the previous "flat" design.
    Also the magnet interface profile adds a "L" shape to it.
    All structural goodness.
    007uly25416y.jpg
    Taken from one of the many venerable @F1nut posts for comparison. Flat sections at the legs and magnet interface.
    dkom35v8zul3.png

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Yeah !!! My new MW's arrived today from Polk....

And how do they sound? Any discernable difference? Do tell!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Yeah !!! My new MW's arrived today from Polk....

And how do they sound? Any discernable difference? Do tell!

Haven't finish the build, yet, but can't wait !!! Others on this thread including @westmassguy have opined that they are good replacements, but do sound a little different. He recommended matched pairs, but I went ahead a bought all 4. Got em from Polk $48/each including shipping.

Got my 2B's running in the meantime.
  • verb
    I recently picked up a very nice MW6511 off eBay, do a Saved Search, they do do come up for sale every so often.

Scored a pair of MW6511's on fleabay. Saved search worked great. Bought em after being listed for less than an hour. Now I got some spares. Thanks Mike.
  • xschop
    If you are able, can you do a comparison between new vs. old 6511 in low freq reproduction? From my experience the older 6511's have too much excursion.
  • verb
    If you are able, can you do a comparison between new vs. old 6511 in low freq reproduction? From my experience the older 6511's have too much excursion.

Everything's in pieces as I'm doing a complete rebuild right now. @westmassguy is doing the XO's and everything else.

David - You had mentioned there are differences between the original 6511's vs. the modern replacements, as you recommending replacing them in matched pairs. Can you elaborate? Thanks!!!
  • westmassguy

Everything's in pieces as I'm doing a complete rebuild right now. @westmassguy is doing the XO's and everything else.

David - You had mentioned there are differences between the original 6511's vs. the modern replacements, as you recommending replacing them in matched pairs. Can you elaborate? Thanks!!!
    They may, I repeat, may sound slightly different, which is why I always advise doing them in mirrored pairs. If you original woofers are very old, or were heavily used, their suspensions will be worn. The new woofers will not be worn, and will go through a mechanical break-in.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited February 2018

Kinda late to the game, but in the experience I had with the one MW6511 driver I purchased from Polk verses the original MW6511's I had the driver "bottoming out" (i.e being overloaded) compared to the original MW6511's. The replacement driver I purchased was about 8 or 9 years ago now so things might be different in the last few years. That was my experience, however.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • verb
    headrott wrote: »

Kinda late to the game, but in the experience I had with the one MW6511 driver I purchased from Polk verses the original MW6511's I had the driver "bottoming out" (i.e being overloaded) compared to the original MW6511's. The replacement driver I purchased was about 8 or 9 years ago now so things might be different in the last few years. That was my experience, however.

Thanks for the insight! I'll keep a lookout!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I'll keep a lookout!
    I didn't keep mine, but I ordered one on eBay! :p

vzj9jqzg2o4s.jpg

• verb
    edited February 2018
    Good to see your library is replete with the classics! :smiley:

Edited for grammatical, punctuation, and syntax errors!