New (to me) amp: McCormack DNA-125

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    And one's ability to admit when they're wrong is a rare trait. Drew said he'd let us know if he was at fault on the McCormack issue. That's HONORABLE in my world. I doubt he is BUT he still left the chance on the table that just maybe..

I've worked with a lot of people and I can tell you 7 out of 10 will lie their a** off to avoid any indication of them being wrong or at fault for that matter. I've been fired because of slackers saying I was slacking. I let the matter go since the boss man was an alcoholic to the bone, and I stopped drinking a beer or two with him 1/2 way through my employment with him. He fired those 2 slackers 2 weeks after me when he found out THEY were the slackers. But he never called me back to work. His loss! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Heck, I am wrong all the time and I even admit it in advance.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Tony M
    Maybe I should start doing that. I never thought of that. My wife wouldn't know what to do! :o
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    If there ever comes a time that I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it.
  • Tony M
    Viking64 wrote: »
    If there ever comes a time that I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it.

I used to say that. Then I turned, 16 I think. I had to tell the police, yea, I was wrong. :s
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    tonyb wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ^^^That was sweet :o<3 ...Seriously

lol....Kerry is a big teddy bear. Internet discussions can always take a turn south because you miss that face to face interaction. Kudos to you Kerry.

I've learned you throw a slab of BBQ, or a steak...Kerry's your pal forever ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Viking64

I've got a 6-pound rib roast in the oven this very moment. Would that net me a 5-piece metal band that plays 80's thrash? B):p
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

lol....Kerry is a big teddy bear. Internet discussions can always take a turn south because you miss that face to face interaction. Kudos to you Kerry.

You don't get a body like this by watching what you eat!

• Viking64
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I've got a 6-pound rib roast in the oven this very moment. Would that net me a 5-piece metal band that plays 80's thrash? B):p

Correction: Now only a 3-pound rib roast. :o

yr10yyd8peil.jpg
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Kerry looks like a guy you would cross the street to get away from. Fearing that he would end your life just for fun. Then you turn around to make sure he isn't following you only to see him picking up a litter of kittens next to the dumpster you passed and didn't take notice of.
    He gave them all cute names and made sure they went to good homes.
  • kharp1
    Stop spreading these vicious rumors! I've spent many years working on my serial killer look and demeanor.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Good to note....does it have to be cooked ? Maybe I'll send him a cow....certainly can't throw a whole one at him. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    TMR gets the McCormack today... waiting patiently, I am.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Hurry up and wait:

"I will let you know when I have had a chance to test the amp. I try to get to them as quickly as possible after delivery but many times will take a day or two to properly test everything."
    Tony M wrote: »
    TMR gets the McCormack today... waiting patiently, I am.

• Tony M
    I remembered that reply.

I'm just stating the countdown starts today.

I guess they work on Fed. Gov. timelines.

It will take days to plug it in. ? :/
  • Clipdat
    Hey the sooner they test it the sooner they have to issue a refund to my CC. It's not in their best interests to move quickly :)
    I remembered that reply.

I'm just stating the countdown starts today.

I guess they work on Fed. Gov. timelines.

It will take days to plug it in. ? :/

• Tony M
    LOL...Isn't that the truth, and the most likely outcome.
  • I don't know man, might give them a little credit for taking it back.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Clipdat
    They offer a generous return policy: "Every product purchased at www.tmraudio.com is backed by a best-in-class 45 day satisfaction guaranteed return policy. If you purchased from us elsewhere, the return window is 30 days. In the event that you received a product that is shown to be defective or not as advertised, The Music Room will take responsibility for shipping arrangements and all shipping costs. Refunds for any other reason will not include shipping costs."

So I'll be getting a refund regardless, just waiting to see if it'll include the return shipping costs or not.
    I don't know man, might give them a little credit for taking it back.

• Tony M
    I do give them credit. For standing behind their policy like Drew said above.

I just read an article /review of some amp in Stereophile and the reviewer talks about what this thread has brought to the attention of myself and some others. It blew my mind when I read it. It was a side note the reviewer wanted to expose. It blew me away.
  • Clipdat
    Link?
    I do give them credit. For standing behind their policy like Drew said above.

I just read an article /review of some amp in Stereophile and the reviewer talks about what this thread has brought to the attention of myself and some others. It blew my mind when I read it. It was a side note the reviewer wanted to expose. It blew me away.

• Tony M
    edited January 2018
    It was in my new Stereophile Magazine I believe. 99.9% sure. I have a lot to do today I can't re-read the articles just yet. Maybe tonight I'll find the exact article. I had planned on finding it again anyway to pass it on. ;)

I want to wait until this matter from this thread is through. But if somebody has this newest issue, read the amp reviews. It might say what I read. I have a stack of Stereophile and Sound & Vision Mags. that I read some parts almost daily. Sometimes I'll sit and read from cover to cover the night I get them. But I still like to return and re-read the reviews of movies and the articles from the editor and what ever chaches my eye looking at the various covers.

I don't want to say what I dicovered just yet. But maybe you can find what I'm talking about within a couple of days if Stereophile is online or you have the Mag. to read.

I won't leave this a mystery. I can't. ;)
  • Clipdat
    OOooOOOOooOOOOoooO! A mystery!

I subscribe to Stereophile so I'll see if the latest issue is waiting for me when I get home!
    It was in my new Stereophile Magazine I believe.

• kharp1
    Does it mention McCormack, or, amps in general? McCormack amps haven't been made for several years so I'd be curious why they're talking about them in that sense.
  • Clipdat
    Official response from TMR:

"I received the amplifier today. I've tested it out and I have been unable to find anything defective about the amp. There is an extremely small amount of noise difference between completely unpowered and powered up when I'm pressing my ear against the top. This is 100% consistent with normal operation. I'm not sure if it was different with your system or not but based on what I'm seeing I can't call it defective.

I'm still happy to proceed with with the refund but as previously discussed that would be minus the shipping costs. "
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Well you knew that was the most likely option
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Of course, but it's just his opinion that "This is 100% consistent with normal operation".
    Well you knew that was the most likely option

• Clipdat
    Doesn't matter Skip, it's "100% consistent with normal operation".
    DSkip wrote: »
    Next time take a video.

• Tony M
    I felt this answer would be coming from them.

NOW, he didn't mention the hiss coming from the tweeters,

or your wife's comment on the hum issue.

He didn't mention that he took the top off to see where the hum was coming from.

A doubt a real re-check was thoroughly done. He didn't address ALL the issues with his version of answers as to why the amp did what it does.

Did they state Satisfaction Guaranteed? Yes. ;)

BUT the small print is where their true guarantee lays. :#

At least the amp didn't get destroyed in shipment. B)
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2018
    It was a weird frequency, very weird. You could hear it with your head a few inches from the amp, but you could also hear it across the room if you listened for it. When I was doing my testing and trying it on various sources of power, even after I switched the amp off and unplugged it, the hum of the frequency was in my ears still! It was a very unpleasant frequency.

Is my hearing more sensitive than his? Probably. I have extremely sensitive hearing.

Did he test it in a quiet listening room, or in a warehouse? I'm guessing a warehouse.

Why was he "pressing his ear" against the top of the amp? If anything, pressing one's ear against a solid surface would cut off the amount of sound that's able to enter the ear drum, resulting it being actually more difficult to hear the hum.

What does "100% consistent[with normal operation]" mean? How is a percentage value being used to quantify whether or not a noise during operation is acceptable? If the hum was 2db louder, would that mean that then the noise was only "90%" consistent?

What exactly is "normal operation"? Is he saying that this is normal for all McCormack amps? All power amps? All amps that they sell on their site? If I purchased the most expensive power amp(s) currently listed on their site for $15k and it produced a hum, would that also be considered "normal operation"?

Maybe "normal operation" just means whatever they want it to mean, based on if the situation will save them some money on shipping costs.

In my opinion it's still a case of the item not being as advertised. Because if the advertisement/description for the amp said "There is an extremely small amount of noise created when the amp is powered up" I would not have purchased it.

Lastly, just to be a jerk, "based on what I'm seeing I can't call it defective." - Doesn't he mean "based on what I'm hearing"?