Blade Runner 2049

Got to finally see this last night. I liked this movie alot! I can see why it's not doing that great in the theaters though, kind of like the original Blade Runner. The 2.5 hour run time along with the sort of "artsy" type style of filming and story telling no doubt turns people off, especially these days. We're in the days of comic book movies and people wanting lots of stuff blowing up without having to think much. Thats a darn shame in my book!

With all of that said, the movie is flat out gorgeous! I've been hearing alot about the cinematography of the movie and how it's Oscar worthy, and it absolutely is! Story wise, I loved it!

This is going to make for one seriously stunning Blu Ray, especially for 4K TV owners. The sound should be equally as stunning. It'll be a release day buy for me.

If you skip it in the theater, be sure to atleast give it a whirl rental wise at home.
No excuses!

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    We're in the days of comic book movies and people wanting lots of stuff blowing up without having to think much. Thats a darn shame in my book!
    ^^^^ This x infinty
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    I saw the movie this week at in 3D on Thursday. I agree it's a fantastic movie for scifi lovers and those of you who liked the first movie. There was a good story in this movie which is unusual in this cartoon, super hero's era of films. A lot of cool and weird stuff just like the first movie. Highly recommended!
    Carl

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    My wife & I saw this movie a few days after it opened.

Afterward, we both looked at each other and said that it was the best movie either of us has ever seen. The soundtrack/score is phenomenal in the way that it moves with/throughout the film. As Carl states above, I cannot recommend it highly enough.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited October 2017
    Saw this movie with my lovely lady in 3D ultra AVX and we both loved it. Great sound and visuals. Can’t wait for the Blu-ray to blast my dual PB ultras. The bass In the theater was actually impressive!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Yeah, saw it in 3-D, really good work of art. Liked the first one I also saw that in the theater and I seem to remember it wasn't widely attended in the theaters, but became a cult classic. This one is really good!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    edited October 2017
    I enjoyed it a lot also. But I think you have to enjoy the pacing, cinematography and characterization in the first movie, in order to like this one. I can see it as very "polarizing". Not a lot of in-between love and hate on this movie.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Not as good as the original, but still a good movie.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    I went in with low expectations with this movie, but exited with a great feeling. The direction was similar in style to Ridley Scott's, even though it was only produced by him. As others have said, it similar in style to the original and, IMO, if you like the original, you will like this one. But I have to agree, it's not on par with the original. If the original had a 10/10 score, this one would be an 8/10, IMO.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Viking64
    Finally HD rips are replacing the crappy theater-shot versions of this film online. I am only halfway through (I needed a break after 1:38:00), but I am really enjoying it. It is slow-moving but it is getting really interesting and has an amazing (although quite gloomy) visual style.

This is the fifth excellent film in a row from director Denis Villeneuve. His previous effort, "Arrival" (2016) was one of my favorites of the last several years. Hollywood, keep sending this guy money to make films, please. Thank you.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Waiting for the 4K UHD release on the 16th.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    This movie will give your rig a work out! Saw it in theater, and though enjoyed the entire experience, thought the best part was the soundscaping. I can't wait for the 4k release.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Viking64 wrote: »
    This is the fifth excellent film in a row from director Denis Villeneuve. His previous effort, "Arrival" (2016) was one of my favorites of the last several years. Hollywood, keep sending this guy money to make films, please. Thank you.

Totally agree with this! One of the top directors today!

No excuses!
  • Viking64
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Waiting for the 4K UHD release on the 16th.
    FestYboy wrote: »
    This movie will give your rig a work out! Saw it in theater, and though enjoyed the entire experience, thought the best part was the soundscaping. I can't wait for the 4k release.
    Just a week away. I'm tempted to buy an Oppo UDP-205 to play this disc, but having to spring for a huge 4K OLED is a no-go at this point. :p
  • FestYboy
    Well aren't you Mr Fancy-pants!

Personally I'm holding out for a new projector (4k of course)
  • Viking64
    Well aren't you Mr Fancy-pants!

Personally I'm holding out for a new projector (4k of course)

My Vr3 crossovers for my 2.3TL's will be here in a few days. Adding those, plus my dradnought and my RDO148's is going to be a major change for the coming week. If I buy the Oppo and use my MIT Shotgun MA's to connect it, I won't even recognize my own rig. HAHAHAHA
  • FestYboy
    But isn't that a good thing?
  • Viking64
    But isn't that a good thing?

I was using witty hyperbole.
  • FestYboy
    Ah, like sarcasm, that is also lost in interwebs translation.

Pug pictures however, are universally translated ;)
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Grabbed this on blu ray tonight. And was surprised to see they made a 3D version. I thought 3D was dead. Great sound on this one, my PB ultras were digging deep tonight!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Picked this up on Blu Ray as well. The sound on this is phenomenal! Like most movies, I liked it even more after watching it at home. Top notch all the way around!
    No excuses!
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    edited January 2018
    Saw this when it first came out and thought is was great. Just ordered my 4K copy, should get it in a couple of days to a week. Needed a disc to check my new 4K components.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • BlueFox
    My 4K UHD version arrived Wednesday. Will try to get to it Saturday night. Unfortunately, my Shunyata Sigma speaker cables arrived Thursday, and I need to spend Friday, and maybe Saturday, evaluating them. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Has anyone checked out the 4k UHD disc yet? I got it the other night and this thing is a sub killer. I'm having to dial my sub way back to prevent it from destroying the room and itself. The first 2 minutes or so will blow your pants off and then there are scenes scattered about that will as well.
  • BlueFox
    Watched the 4K UHD a few months ago. This is movie I need to watch again to pickup on things I missed the first time around.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Has anyone checked out the 4k UHD disc yet? I got it the other night and this thing is a sub killer. I'm having to dial my sub way back to prevent it from destroying the room and itself. The first 2 minutes or so will blow your pants off and then there are scenes scattered about that will as well.

Yes, no doubt about it. I got the 4k when it first came out and I agree, this movie is loud. It's loud enough to test and perhaps exceed your equipment's limitations. If you should decide to give it a spin, I suggest you be prepared. I also got a 4K version of the original Blade Runner, and there may have been a little improvement, sound and video wise, over the Blue-Ray version, but probably not enough to notice if I wasn't looking for it.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    It has helped me dial in my sub better. I’ve got the processor on -7db and the volume of the subsonic filter at 1.5/10. I had it around 3 and the roof nearly came off. Heard the sub bottom a little bit and knew instantly I had to back down. This is with an SVS 20-39 ultra and a crown amp bridges to something like 1kw. Overkill in my tiny room but after setup a little better I could crank the main volume and really enjoy good, clean, loud bass. No butt kickers needed.