What Adcom amp for my SDA/SRS’s?

bbmhmt1grudn.jpeg

So I have finally purchased the “dream speakers” of mine from back in the day when I was a young man just becoming interested in high-end audio. I had planned on powering them with some Adcom amps run in mono (either vintage GFA-565’s or new GFA-555se’s), but have read some posts that gave me the impression that running mono amps with these speakers doesn’t work because of the IC cable. Any help would be much appreciated. Thx...Randy

Answers

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I can't answer your question, but that picture is awesome. Those speakers look amazing.
  • I think Jesse is one of the resident experts on common ground amps. Maybe he'll see the post and chime in. Personally, I use two Yamaha stereo amps and have them bi-amped. Not quite the same effect as running mono but it seems to reduce stress on the amps.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited December 2017
    In regards to Adcom GFA 565 amps
    F1nut wrote: »
    Anyway, there are two circumstances when you can use mono block amps with SDA SRS speakers. One is if your serial numbers are above 5001 on both speakers. If so, you can use the special AI-1 interconnect cable, which you'll have to make as it's no longer sold. The other is if you can tie the negative outputs of the amps together to create a common ground. You'll have to check with Adcom to see if that can be done with those amps.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Those appear to be the original 2nd/3rd Generation SRSs. You MUST use a common ground amp. You cannot use an AI-1 or Dreadnaught, with mono-blocks, with that model.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    The GFA 555 and the 555II are common ground amps.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • A GFA 5802 works great too as will a 5500. I have both in storage and have used them with blade-blade SDA's. They just need a jumper between the grounds at the amp.

Where are you located?
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I asked a similar question when I first posted here 7 years ago. The first 10 responses or so were very informative.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/108053/bi-amping-2-3tls-with-adcom-555-ii/p1
  • slenda
    slenda Posts: 2
    edited January 2018
    bbmhmt1grudn.jpeg

So I have finally purchased the “dream speakers” of mine from back in the day when I was a young man just becoming interested in high-end audio. I had planned on powering them with some Adcom amps run in mono (either vintage GFA-565’s or new GFA-555se’s), but have read some posts that gave me the impression that running mono amps with these speakers doesn’t work because of the IC cable. Any help would be much appreciated. Thx...Randy

I have Polk SDA-1Bs on Adcom GFA-555 amp (circa 1989) with a Adcom GTP-500 II pre amp and the sound is incredible. I can play records all day the sound is that good.
  • i0armxsalnxl.jpeg

I added a pic of the serial number, if that helps. I was really hoping to run GFA565’s, in keeping with the vintage theme. I guess even a 5802 would be ok, but I’m not sure about jumping the grounds. Would that be the same as the negatives? Anyone else have a suggestion? Thx again
  • I have GFA-565's connected to my SDA-SRS's since 1991. The grounds can and must be jumped together. I have a GFA-5802 that I have used intermittently with the same speakers. The 5802 is not common grounded internally, so you will need to also jumper the grounds. If you decide to go with the 565's. I would have them serviced by an Adcom repair facility to make sure the leaky cap issue has been addressed and bias adjustments are correct before connecting them to the SRS's. They are great amps, but due to their age, components due fail and can destroy speakers. Mine have already been serviced twice and will do it again if needed.
  • Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still not sure what jumping the grounds means. Is this done internally or externally? Any chance someone could post a pic to clear things up for me??
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still not sure what jumping the grounds means. Is this done internally or externally? Any chance someone could post a pic to clear things up for me??

On my GFA 5802 I just wire the speaker grounds together at the amplifier.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Anyway, there are two circumstances when you can use mono block amps with SDA SRS speakers. One is if your serial numbers are above 5001 on both speakers. If so, you can use the special AI-1 interconnect cable, which you'll have to make as it's no longer sold. The other is if you can tie the negative outputs of the amps together to create a common ground. You'll have to check with Adcom to see if that can be done with those amps.

It should be noted that tying the negative outputs does have a negative effect on the sound quality.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484

It should be noted that tying the negative outputs does have a negative effect on the sound quality.

Absolutely agree with this.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • TNTsTunes

It has no negative effects on a GFA 5802 or 5500 however.

• F1nut
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

It has no negative effects on a GFA 5802 or 5500 however.

Have you tried those amps strapped and then with the AI-1 or Dreadnought?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TNTsTunes
    Have you tried those amps strapped and then with the AI-1 or Dreadnought?

Yes. Both have been used strapped with a pin/blade interconnect and then with my 1000VA Dreadnought when strapped and unstrapped plus used strapped with blade/blade SDA's too.

• F1nut
    Very good. I don't recall the model of Adcom I heard strapped and then with the AI-1, but the improvement was not subtle.

President of Club Polk

• TNTsTunes
    On the 5500 or 5802 you can measure resistance between the grounds before they are strapped unlike two separate mono amps.

Here's a good post about it.
    stogie wrote: »
    My Adcom 5802 has the neg terminals strapped and plays my SDA SRS's without a problem. Before strapping the resistance was 200ohms, after strapping .3 ohms. Below is some information I saved from a post by DK- in quotes.
    "My email to Adcom on 11/12/2000:
    Subject: Adcom GFA-5802 with Polk Audio SDA-1B speakers
    "Is the GFA-5802 a "common ground" amplifier? My speaker specifications state that only common ground amplifiers must be used. I just purchased a GFA-5802. The sound from the speakers seemed "echoey" and out of phase. When I removed the interconnecting phase array cable from between the speakers, the sound was normal. I was previously using an Adcom GFA-555 amp and never experienced this problem. Any ideas on what is causing this?"

Adcom's response on 11/14/2000:
    "There are 2 options for you to do. You can get a cable from Polk for those speakers, the AI-1 cable. This connects the 2 speakers and deals with the common ground problem. The other option is to take a piece of speaker wire and run it between the 2 negative terminals of the amplifier that you are using. This will not hurt the amp at all so dont worry about that. This a problem that has been common with the 5800, 5802, and 5500, all our newer amps and those model speakers.
    Thanks and good listening Adcom" "

In my case the AI-1 cable was not an option but strapping worked fine. According to Adcom's reply, it is ok to strap the 5800 too.

• Leaning towards a 5802. I'm in the Milwaukee area. If anyone has one they are interested in parting with, let me know. Thx
  • TNTsTunes
    PM sent.

• To each his own, but I prefer the authority (bass) and detail (highs) of the Adcom GFA-585 (Big Sky Audio upgrade) with my SDA SRSs. I use the Adcom GFA-565 mono blocks (currently traveling to Big Sky Audio for their upgrade) with my 2.3TLs, but unfortunately I cannot use them with the SDA SRSs as they are not common ground, and I don't like tying the negative terminals together.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • Think I may have been talked into a 585...lol.
  • I need to pull the trigger on a 5802 or 585. 585 seems to be more fitting in my vintage setup. Any feedback?? Thx
  • I prefer the GFA-585, paired with the GFP-565, or preferably the GFP-750. Definitely will provide excellent sonic character with that classic vintage look and vibe. Later you can send the amp and pre-amp to Big Sky Audio for their outstanding upgrade, to take it to the next level. You will not regret it.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • TNTsTunes
    I like the nelson pass design GFA 5802 sound better then the GFA 585 but I've never heard a 585 after big sky does there thing to it. I'm local so if he wants to hear a 5802 power his speakers that could probably be arranged.

• I am a fan of the NP designs as well. I have a GFA-555 that was my second amp ever (it replaced my Hafler DH-220 some 28 years ago!) and I still use it today. Its an exceptional sounding "budget" amp IMO. NP always endeavored to minimize what was in the signal path, and he achieved it in spades with the GFA-555.

I find that the Class A GFA-585 (triple Darlington design) has a lower noise floor than the GFA-5802 (MOSFET design). The GFA-585 also has the capability to provide up to 60amps at its output stage.

Signal to Noise ratio:
    GFA-585 - 110dB
    GFA5802 - 105dB
    (Per ADCOM's spec sheet)

I find that the GFA-5802 sounds grainy at times.
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • Noob here with my eye on a pair of what I think are the original version of SDA SRS' (blade/blade on the SDA IC). I've tried to get a clear answer on whether my Meridian 559 (300WPC) is a common ground amp, but haven't yet. Anyone?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Gofastr wrote: »
    Noob here with my eye on a pair of what I think are the original version of SDA SRS' (blade/blade on the SDA IC). I've tried to get a clear answer on whether my Meridian 559 (300WPC) is a common ground amp, but haven't yet. Anyone?

Hey @gofastr you may want to start a new thread, as the title of this one as you know refers to Adcom. That way you may get some more response.

Have you reached out to the manufacturer? BTW welcome!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Thanks for the recommendation, verb - will do. I have called Meridian US, and while they tried hard to get a concrete answer out of the UK, it was a little fuzzy for my $. Have a call out to their go-to repair shop in Atlanta, founded by a couple of guys with 40 years of Meridian experience between them, so hope to get it right from them.