Is this "Monster Signature Refrence Power Cleaner / surge protector " worth 200.00 ?

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,009
edited December 2017 in The Clubhouse
Here is an Ebay ad of the same .

Any opinion on this thing would be appreciated .

After posting this, I said to myself, I should go to the web and check if there are any reviews. Sure enough, Amazon had a couple with some follow-up comments. I don't like what I read. This might be 10 years old and already blown or ready to, even though the lights are on.

If you think it's a good risk if I get the person to prove it passes power, reply for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312024756274
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Not a fan of Monster products for various reasons. There are much better products out there.

I vote look elsewhere.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Is that some new, overpriced beer I haven't heard of?
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Clipdat wrote: »
    00a0a_94CP88tDdQ2_1200x900.jpg

Speaking of Monster, look at this honking monstrosity.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/d/monster-mpachannel-home/6393864363.html

A friend of mine had one of these. He ran a 5 channel lsi set up off one. We frequently saw the clipping light come on during heavy movie passages. Monster is junk.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Tony M
    Thank you all for letting me know to pass. ;)
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    I've done just as well for my uses with much cheaper products.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited January 2018
    All these power companies do a fair to good job. If you have dirty power in your area, a good quality surge Line conditioner makes a huge difference in retaining your systems performance. Again these products do not make your system better, they retain the abilities of what your system can do.
    For $200.00 your not going to get a very good quality unit. They usually start getting good around $399 and up. What your willing to spend and what they cost could be very 2 different things.
    The Monster products I have seen failures. I don't think they are very good units. Some of them are good quality and I have seen them perform very well but I have also seen them not protect and not clean up the noise floor.
    The HTPS7000 is a very fine unit. I have owned one and it works really good. yes it's worth $200.00 used as long as it's MOV's have not been compromised. Over time MOV's get worn out and the surge section of the unit doesn't perform as well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Again these products do not make your system better, they retain the abilities of what your system can do.
    I have also seen them not protect and not clean up the noise floor.

So, if they can't make a system better then what difference does the ability to clean up the noise floor make?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    edited January 2018
    I know I def. need a better power outlet design. I'm now using a cheap 5.00 power-strip. Blasphemy, I know. :s

I'm def. listening to all advice given here! Thanks!

I do plan to get my act back together this year. ;)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited January 2018
    This is something I'd eventually like to address in my system as well. I'm currently using this: 61aD-R1RovL._SY450_.jpg

Tony M wrote: »
    I know I def. need a better power outlet design. I'm now using a cheap 5.00 power-strip. Blasphemy, I know. :s

I'm def. listening to all advice given here! Thanks!

I do plan to get my act back together this year. ;)

• Clipdat
  • Tony M
    Yup. We admit it in advance.
  • Tony M
    edited January 2018
    Wow is right. I like the clear outlets though.

Rhodium plating must be expensive. ;)

I really need this one though. :s
    https://www.tweekgeek.com/furutech-e-tp4/

I have an industrial quad box made by some quality Co. but one of the double outlets doesn't work. I looked into it and saw NOTHING wrong BUT there were some resistors in there that must be broken. I've yet to diagnose them since I am a embryo in the world of electrical problem diagnosing.
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2018
    I don't know what that is but it sounds expensive based on how "acoustic" is spelled.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Any interest here in Mudra Akustik? I've been in talks about importing his gear as I like the design. It's modular so you can add on what parts you want to.

• Tony M
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I don't know what that is but it sounds expensive based on how "acoustic" is spelled.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Any interest here in Mudra Akustik? I've been in talks about importing his gear as I like the design. It's modular so you can add on what parts you want to.

Those definitely are Medical Grade power distributors! I guess if we have to ask how much they cost, we can't afford them. :(
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2018
    I have a Panamax M8-AVPRO you can have on the cheap if you need it. Nothing spectacular but better than nothing I would think. If you have a use for it and are in need, PM me.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Tony M
    edited January 2018
    shawn474 wrote: »
    I have a Panamax M8-AVPRO you can have on the cheap if you need it. Nothing spectacular but better than nothing I would think. If you have a use for it and are in need, PM me.

Thanks Shawn. But I'm pretty sure I have a Panamax similar to yours but a 4 or 6 outlet strip. Thanks for reminding me. I have so much stuff, things get buried or hidden behind something else and my memory has been challenged the past 10 years. :(

I found 2 subwoofers about a year or less ago I forgot I owned. One was in the front room against the front wall. The other in the back room against the back wall. Now that's bad! And they are nice subs too!

But you did remind me to look for that OK Panamax outlet block I have. I think I know just where it is. Man!, I think I'm using it to hook up new to me electronics. It didn't get used too often except for the past couple of months. I bet it is a Panamax! I'll find out after a while when I go out there to put my battery charger back inside.
  • Tony M
    edited January 2018
    I just looked at my testing power outlet strip / pad and it is a Belkin Surgemaster. It's nice and the LED's arent flikering so maybe it has some life in it. But as a main stereo power outlet strip, I don't know. :#

6t6xacist4sz.png
  • Clipdat
    I've always thought the coaxial and phone line "protection" on these things were so stupid.

The one time back in the dial up days that I actually tried running the phone line through it, I got random disconnects and packet loss.

I believe it does more harm than good to ever run your cable or telephone wires through these things.
    I just looked at my testing power outlet strip / pad and it is a Belkin Surgemaster. It's nice and the LED's arent flikering so maybe it has some life in it. But as a main stereo power outlet strip, I don't know. :#

6t6xacist4sz.png

• Tony M
    edited January 2018
    I always wanted to run cable and phone through a surge protector but have read from years ago, Surge protectors of any kind rarely work on a direct hit.

I have ALWAYS unplugged my stuff when a lightning storm is predicted. That's the sure way of getting protection unless the bolt jumps out of the socket and hits the equipment that way or something like that.

I'll be unplugging my stuff out in the cave tommorow because we're scheduled to get a lightning storm tomorrow night or Fri. . Lightning hits close to my house once a year at least. So far so good.

I just heard a transformer blow in the distance. I hear them ALL the TIME. Ours at our pole blew one time. A squirrel I think caused it or I'm getting the 2 events mixed together. The squirrel was turned to a carbon shell. I doubt and hope he didn't feel it. I saw the line-man toss the shell of it off of the transformer. :#

It's been 16 min. and I just heard a closer transformer blow. It's Crazy.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Whoa - Lighting in January @Tony M ? Where do you live?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Not only do they rarely work on a direct hit, most will drop the signal anywhere from 1-3db that can be enough to really furbar the signal at the display. On my OTA tower antenna i bought lightning arresters that the inside house cable/Dish went through at the grounding block. They didn't drop signal at all but like a fuse went toast before anything made it to the TV or am/fm tuner. Parts express sold them cheap enough I'd buy several at a time. My Dish Network guy turned me on to them after he about pulled his hair out trying to figure my loss of signal at the box. When he seen the cable going through my surge suppressor behind the TV stand he was like dude why didn't you tell about this a half hour ago... whoops lol
  • Tony M
    edited January 2018
    verb wrote: »

Wilmington NC.

The lightning didn't come over my house this time. I heard some bad thunder rolls but never heard a crack of lightning. It must not have built up strong enough. But man did it pour.

Storms come up the coast from the gulf all the time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    F1nut wrote: »
    Again these products do not make your system better, they retain the abilities of what your system can do.

So, if they can't make a system better then what difference does the ability to clean up the noise floor make?
    It retains the ability of the equipment.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    mantis wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

It retains the ability of the equipment.

Want to try again?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    verb wrote: »

Wilmington NC.

The lightning didn't come over my house this time. I heard some bad thunder rolls but never heard a crack of lightning. It must not have built up strong enough. But man did it pour.

Storms come up the coast from the gulf all the time.

Better than freezing your arse's off in SE Michigan !!!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    I have a Father and Mother in Law right at the base of S.E. Michigan and a Sister in Law on the east side of the mitten thumb. They've been dreading every winter sice I met them but they still choose to live there. They've long since been able to move but probably never will.

They all say they wanted to move here but now it's so expensive to buy a house, I doubt they will.

I wanted them to buy this condo they used to come down here for vacation and stay at each time for the last 7 years or more. I even told my wife, let us kids buy it for them. It was 60,000.00 back then + ownership dues 150 a month. Now it's 250,000.00 with 350 ownership dues. Supply and demand, right?