Help with Pioneer SX-850 with 2 HPM-100 speakers.

Hello to all,

Ok, I'll throw in a bit of background to get started. The radio used to be my grandfather's, and when I received it, it wasn't working (one didn't hear the "Clic" of the relay when you turned it on).

I took it to a friend to see if he could fix it, and we changed four transistors (two NTE-280 and to NTE-281. I understand that those transistors are one channel). After that the radio worked fine for some time, and all of a sudden the relay just started going on and off, cutting the sound at the speakers. It started gradually and by the end the speakers gave dirty sound (like the sound of a very old movie).

Since then I didn't use it again, until now. I changed the same transistors as I did before, and now that sound is clean. The relay still cuts the sound every now and then, but at least I don't have dirty sound any more.

I have basically two questions: the first one is, how can I stop that damn relay from activating? Ok ok, it is doing its work (apparently) but it sucks when your listening to music and all of a sudden it stops :)

Second question is, one of the speaker lacks the cable clips (maybe that ruined the first change of transistors?) Does anyone know where I can get new ones, or if there is an upgrade I can do to better the system?

I appreciate an help you guys can share.

Thanks!coj9nr5ppwuc.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited December 2017
    The relay probably needs replacing.

Transistors should be matched and adjustments should be performed after changing them.

Those are called binding posts. Judging by the amount of rust and barn dust the binding posts may be the least of your problems.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jumoe
    jumoe Posts: 3
    F1nut,
    Thanks for the quick answer. Ok, I'll check for a relay. Is there some type of test that I can do just to be sure that the relay is the problem? Or I'll just change it and see if it works...

Sadly the radio and speakers were stored in not so good conditions for some time... So the wear definitely shows.

Is there like an upgrade for the binding posts that one can do?

Thanks again

J
  • F1nut
    Sure, you could put a DVM on the relay to check if that really is the problem, but you'll likely need the schematic.

Of course, there are better binding posts. Some TOTL WBT's will set you back around $500.00, but I suggest you look at what Parts Express has to offer.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited December 2017
    Judging by that picture (their condition) I'd just buy some banana clips. ;). You might ask Mr. Hardy where to buy those.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Judging by that picture (their condition) I'd just buy some banana clips. ;). You might ask Mr. Hardy where to buy those.

:)

The OP can get 'em from Parts Express, too...

38062009456_b0a3ed4481_b.jpgDSC_9646 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Doc is in alligator clip heaven....
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Looks like part of Frankenstein's lab
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • F1nut
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Looks like part of Frankenstein's lab

They don't call him Doc for nothing.

President of Club Polk

• jumoe
    jumoe Posts: 3
    Thanks to all for the replys. What I'll do first is throughly clean the whole unit. I read elsewhere that that sometimes fixes the problem. If not, then I'll start with the relay.

After that I'll start with the binding posts ^^

I'll post an update once I get it done.

Cheers and happy New year.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Why'd I say banana clip? I definitely meant gator clip. I think I'm going retarded.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited December 2017
    Why'd I say banana clip? I definitely meant gator clip. I think I'm going retarded.

When I lived in Gainesville, Florida, I would constantly slip and fall after stepping on gator peels. :p

Sometimes I would fall during the day. And other times would be....wait for it...."Nightfalls". :o