Star Wars. whats your favorite of them all

Mine, Empire strikes back.
Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    The Last Jedi.

Just by a hair though.

You have to see this new one. I doubt you'll be disappointed .
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I've seen all of them... Still think ESB is stronger (for now). I'll be giving TLJ another viewing next week, but I doubt it will change my mind because Rogue One sits at #2 for me right now.
  • Tony M
    I hope to do a marathon viewing next year or sooner.

TLJ is fresh in my mind and the unanswered questions this movie left to the viewers to ponder is brilliant.

But those scenes that surround Luke Skywalker at times in TLJ is pretty friken amazing ! That scene where Luke is fired upon....monumental !!!!

And those scenes are what takes this to the front and to have Rey as the one to watch next is another reason. Who IS she ? I love it !
    And the budding relationship between 2 characters surely HAS to continue. They are made for each other some how. ;)

And the boy and the broom at the end....Brilliant !
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I like them all. Having seen the last one yet, since it hasn't been released yet on HD BR.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I liked them all but my favorite was Empire Strikes Back.
    I haven't seen the new one yet so.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Empire Strikes Back here, have yet to see TLJ.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I just watched them all about a month ago. The 1977 film was alright, but it seemed to lack substance. I thought it was great when I first saw it that summer, but I was only 12 at the time. But still, I NEVER liked Chewbacca, even then. :p When "Close Encounters" came out that November, I forgot all about "Star Wars".

I didn't see "The Empire Strikes Back" or "Return of the Jedi" until several years after their initial release. "Empire" was okay, but the last 45 minutes or so when they were at Billy Dee Williams' castle/palace/"whatever it was" bored the life out of me.

For me, the most entertaining scenes of ANY SW film was the part in "Jedi" where Luke and Leia (I think it was them) chased the stormtroopers on those "hover bike things" through the forest. Not only was that cool, but a breath of fresh air from all of the space and desert stuff. I also like those treehouse set-pieces, although those bear-looking forest-dwellers were particularly infantile. A Lucas trait that reached it's low point with Jar-Jar Binks.

When I first saw "Episode One" and "Episode Two" a few years after their initial releases, I was bored and disgusted by all of the teenage romance shite. There really wasn't anything memorable about those then (early 2000's). After watching those and also "Episode Three" last month, I was shocked to find that I enjoyed them more than the original 1977 film, "Empire", and "Jedi". I really loved the Lake Como, Italy location used for Natalie Portman's home planet.

I also watched an animated film that takes place between E2 and E3. It was okay. Nothing special. I also watched "The Force Awakens" (Episode VII?) and "Rogue One" in chronological order (meaning "Force" after "Jedi" and "Rogue" after "Episode 3"). They were both alright. I liked "Rogue" better than "Force", I think.

Please forgive my lack of memory regarding what the actual film titles are. The nerd/geek is weak in this one. :p

All-in-all, every "Star Wars" film has something to offer. I think different SW films appeal to different people and over time, the same SW film changes it's appeal to specific individuals.

Technically, I see a whole butt-load of editing errors throughout the series. Certainly some of this is due to cutting for time constraints, but often the cuts are quite jarring. (binksing?) :p Also, much of the humor just wasn't funny.

The newest film has just hit the streaming sites, albeit only in "theater-shot" versions. I took a quick peek at it last night. I have yet to decide if I want to watch it now or wait until there is a DVD rip.

I may never be able to decide which George Lucas film I think is best. "American Graffiti" or "THX1138"?

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited December 2017
    For me it is Ep IV, A New Hope.

This film was a defining moment in the way science fiction was filmed, and marked the return of the “saturday serial” concept. Today, we call them sequels, but the idea of individual self contained stories coming together under an over-arching theme that ties each element together. The Lone Ranger films come to mind.

The other films all have their place, but the 1977 original is the one each pays respect to, and as such, it stands above the rest.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited December 2017
    I'm going to have to say Star Wars because it was the first and it had the biggest WOW factor back in the day! I want to say The Empire Strikes Back and it very well could be the best but come on, remember when you first went to see Star Wars and what you thought when you walked out of the theater.

I haven't seen The Last Jedi yet, but hope it tops all the rest.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Tony M
    edited December 2017
    This just happened . :D

At check-out at the grocery store, 2 guys ( a cashier and a manager I believe ) were talking about tying a balloon to some other employee or themselves and having to walk around as a Holiday Cheer for moral. I mentioned I'll take the SWs TLJ balloon. ( the store was the slowest I've ever seen it so the atmosphere was very relaxed and we ( the cashier and I )were able to talk a minute or three about TLJ movie compared to the others. He's seen them all too but he's young, at about 26 or so.
    The cashiers eyes got big and he said YEA !!! I'd take that balloon too.

I told him we saw it yesterday and loved it. He said back to me,,( no kidding ), "The Last Jedi " was the best of the series I think " . I told him "I'm glad somebody agrees with me too so soon" . I told him about a couple of scenes and he agreed with a bit of excitement, that he thought they were AWSOME too.

Does Dreadnaught ring a bell ?
    There's one in this movie but it's not a cable ground manipulator.

The special effects were really good in this movie .
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited December 2017
    I liked the earlier ones best, and I'm going by release date, not that weirdo prequel sequel stuff.

I like the action and effects of the newer ones too, to an extent. Loved the first new one with Ewan McGregor (excellent at capturing Obi Wan) and Liam Neeson. Loved Darth Maul too. That dude was BAD. I could have done without JarJar Binks. Wish I could have gotten rid of him like an option in a Choose Your Own Adventure book, maybe having him miss getting on the ship or something.

I feel like the earlier ones focused more on the story and acting (ha) over the use of effects to capture attention and imagination. Of course, like The Goonies, these earlier Star Wars films were a part of my childhood and youth, so there's a bit of bias.

Darth Vader - a pretty bad-a bad guy. Imposing character, and JEJ was perfect for the role. Look at the respect he commanded. You never knew when you were gonna get air-choked for inadvertent disrespect.

"Hi Darth! Your helmet looks extra shiny today! You must've been up all night polishing it!"
    [Darth turns, raises hand, c o cks head slightly, squeezes air]
    "(choke, choke, cough)" Dead.
    I disabled signatures.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    For me it is Ep IV, A New Hope.

This film was a defining moment in the way science fiction was filmed, and marked the return of the “saturday serial” concept. Today, we call them sequels, but the idea of individual self contained stories coming together under an over-arching theme that ties each element together. The Lone Ranger films come to mind.

The other films all have their place, but the 1977 original is the one each pays respect to, and as such, it stands above the rest.

This makes a solid case for A New Hope, have to agree, but ESB will always be my favorite!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• I like all of them but If i have to choose the best one, I think it is The Last Jedi. There is not really a specific reason, it is my feelings and thoughts.
  • Tony M
    I just looked up the approval scales for TLJ on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB.

They both have it rated by critics and viewers at 92% approval.

I'd say it has been approved by us SW fans! ;)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Battle for Endor and An Ewok Adventure...it's a two-fer.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Tony M
    edited December 2017

I read your link. I think I understand his view on his latest part.

Maybe that's why he was looking so mad or serious all the time. But the look worked for me. A serious Luke and the reason why was done well.

Hamill said maybe a year to work out a Jedi personal problem was within the code of Jedi's . How long was he secluded on that Island ? I missed how long AFTER him and Kylo Ren had what they had.
  • Tony M
    edited December 2017
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Battle for Endor and An Ewok Adventure...it's a two-fer.

"Imagination run rampant " the trailer spokesman says about BFE. He's right ! :p
  • Tony M
    For those who haven't seen it yet... :p

https://youtu.be/TYRy5bCsWF8
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Sure, just show us the whole movie! :p
  • Tony M
    edited December 2017
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Sure, just show us the whole movie! :p

That trailer doesn't even begin to show the many , many unbelievable awesome parts ! B)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Tony M wrote: »
    That trailer doesn't even begin to show the many , many unbelievable awesome parts ! B)
    My trailer is full of many unbelievably awesome body parts. :o
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    I like them all. New hope or Empire are my favorites. They blew me away as a kid at the theater. Rogue One didn't thrill me. The characters really weren't terrific. What did Forest Whitaker's role really add to the movie? In contrast, I liked the force awakens mostly because of the characters and acting.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics