edited December 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Hello Fred
    Hello pdogg.

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I wouldn't go throwing it away. ;)
    Yeah its not going anywhere. :) Even with the basic IVY analog stage it still oozes loads of musical goodness from the 1&0's it's fed from a Raspberry Pi music server.
    The new analog stage looks interesting. I will await impressions of you early adopters and at some point I may want to try one.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Progress! Arduino DUE, Dimdim shield and 4.3 tft screen.

5jga7fi9uuec.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Jeebus! You geeks should get a life. I'm looking at you, Rich.
  • lightman1
    FTGV wrote: »

Yeah its not going anywhere. :) Even with the basic IVY analog stage it still oozes loads of musical goodness from the 1&0's it's fed from a Raspberry Pi music server.
    The new analog stage looks interesting. I will await impressions of you early adopters and at some point I may want to try one.

You too, Fred....
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    lightman1 wrote: »

You too, Fred....

Says the super electron jockey

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2017
    Oh no, :# say it ain't so Rich. My DAC has been rendered obsolete. :'( The 9018 is a great chip but looks like the clever fella's at ESS have raised the bar. I look forward to your build and your impressions of the new DAC board and that new analog stage.

Hey Fred!

Yes, ESS has learned and applied improvements. Russ's Mercury I/V stage is also very impressive. The 9028 is higher current but will work with IVY/Legato output stages. The 9038 has four times the current so it needed a new output stage. The 9038 will be the up to 8 channel offering. Russ claims there isn't that much difference for the complexity you have to deal with. Again, chasing that additional few % or so. I want simpler now.

Check out the Mercury thread in the TP forum at diyaudio. He hasn't released a schematic as of yet. I remarked how impressed I was with it. His response...

"Believe me - this is by design - I have been working on this output stage for more than a year - and it started out discrete... Mercury is essentially Counterpoint but using OPA1632 where I have been using discrete components. It sounds as good as it does - because I was meticulous about designing and testing it... over and over and over.... "

No common mode DC to worry about like with Legato discrete balanced out, barely detectable. I had lifted the ground on my Legato balanced out so I could get rid of the coupling caps and the flavor they bring along with having the corner frequency to figure/deal with. As you'd know, true balanced gear can work with the ground lifted.

At one time he was reluctant to release the Counterpoint as folks would copy it. Now it's in the spirit of diy. Things change...lol I know one look and you'll have it figured out.

cpc14o4y48vf.jpg

Rich, will the ESS9028 (or 9038) work with some SRPP I/V tube output analog stage(s)? I would like to upgrade my DAC board in my DAC and am definitely thinking of the ESS9028 (or 9038) board(s). Thanks Rich.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • SCompRacer

I'm being worked to death, hardly any geek time at all! lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • lightman1
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

You too, Fred....

Says the super electron jockey

Electons flow on the outside of the conductor and just below the insulating jacket...
  • SCompRacer
    edited December 2017
    headrott wrote: »

Rich, will the ESS9028 (or 9038) work with some SRPP I/V tube output analog stage(s)? I would like to upgrade my DAC board in my DAC and am definitely thinking of the ESS9028 (or 9038) board(s). Thanks Rich.

Good question! The 9038 puts out gobs of amperage compared to the 9018 and needs the new Mercury output stage. Folks are still waiting for more info in the thread at diyauido. The 9028 is higher amperage but compatible with the older IVY/Legato I/V stages. They have a basic page up for the newer DAC's but little specific info. You might ask and get better info in the TP 9028/9038 thread at diy.

You ought to check out this fellow in China. They are using 9038 pro with tube output stage. Group buy at diyaudio for tube i/v.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/315474-pure-tube-es9038pro-9028-9018-akm.html

The web site. IIRC new tube output DAC with remote like $2600. Loos like they sell parts too, like remote, LCD screen boards.

http://quanghao.com/

6moons had a look at it their DAC though I haven't read it.

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    headrott wrote: »

Good question! The 9038 puts out gobs of amperage compared to the 9018 and needs the new Mercury output stage. Folks are still waiting for more info in the thread at diyauido. The 9028 is higher amperage but compatible with the older IVY/Legato I/V stages. They have a basic page up for the newer DAC's but little specific info. You might ask and get better info in the TP 9028/9038 thread at diy.

You ought to check out this fellow in China. They are using 9038 pro with tube output stage. Group buy at diyaudio for tube i/v.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/315474-pure-tube-es9038pro-9028-9018-akm.html

The web site. IIRC new tube output DAC with remote like $2600. Loos like they sell parts too, like remote, LCD screen boards.

http://quanghao.com/

6moons had a look at it their DAC though I haven't read it.

Thanks Rich for the extremely helpful reply. I will check out the links you posted.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    The display screen is nice! Color?
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited December 2017
    schwarcw wrote: »
    The display screen is nice! Color?

Yup. TFT screens are much nicer than LCD I've used. It's up to me if I want the touch to work. That means code. I hate writing code.....

ewyakcj5zpby.jpg
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Is it your plan to display album cover art?
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Is it your plan to display album cover art?

That would be complicated for me.