2 channel system

I've read several times that the Pioneer SP-B22LR were very good speakers for their price
For music only listening, what would be other alternatives (even if they cost slightly more) to hear a noticeable difference in sound quality?
Reading the forum, I saw MA Bronze 2, Focal Chorus 605, Polk S20, etc...
What 2 channel receiver would be a good match for those? Same thing, trying to keep the price "decent" and aligned with the speakers......Saw the Pioneer Elite A-20? But can't find too many reviews.....probably not a good sign !!!

Thanks
RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
No surround...yet

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    The winds have shifted (far) away from those Pioneers, and to the next generation of loudspeakers designed by Andrew Jones and marketed under the ELAC brand.

Reports from the field on the ELACs are excellent, though I've not heard a pair.

http://www.hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/wharfedale-diamond-225-elac-b6.2915/

http://www.hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/elac-vs-my-wallet-both-win-a-review-of-the-uni-fi-ub5-standmount-speaker.2080/page-3#post-57862
    (this latter thread is of a "higher-end" ELAC, with a coaxial driver, broadly/vaguely similar to the KEF LS-50)

Pioneers or the ELACs -- both are of fairly low sensitivity and (perhaps paradoxically for cheap, small loudspeakers) both would benefit from good quality, high-ish powered amplification.

HTH (as they say).
  • Saw a pair of Focal Aria 905 - apparently new - for $400 in my area
    Is this a good deal?
    No surround...yet
  • French_guy
    French_guy Posts: 338
    edited December 2017
    Assuming I can get a Parasound HCA-1000 (used), is it going to be a good match, and what pre-amp should I look for?
    No surround...yet
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    If you can, try to get matching Parasound gear, and you will have one slamming system.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Like Zpre2 or Zpre3?
    No surround...yet
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I don’t think there is much reason for marching gear other than aesthetics is there? B&K, rotel, Cambridge, nad, lots of good used pres out there that would go just fine with that amp.

And if those focals and 8 ohm and fairly efficient an HCA 750 is also a great little amp that is like 98% of the HCA1000.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2017
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I don’t think there is much reason for marching gear other than aesthetics is there? B&K, rotel, Cambridge, nad, lots of good used pres out there that would go just fine with that amp.

And if those focals and 8 ohm and fairly efficient an HCA 750 is also a great little amp that is like 98% of the HCA1000.

Yes there is the aesthetics piece to the whole, but mostly I recommended a matching Parasound because they do so well with bringing out the best with Polk speakers. But any of the other names you mentioned would also do a great job. What's important is that he has the power to properly drive whatever speakers he gets.

If you like silver faced gear, here are a Parasound prepro and amp you could look into.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-parasound-halo-p-3-2017-11-15-preamplifiers

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-parasound-a-23-stereo-power-amplifier-near-san-francisco-2017-12-04-amplifiers
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • French_guy
    French_guy Posts: 338
    edited December 2017
    rooftop59 wrote: »

they are 8 ohms, but 89 db....not super efficient. Would an HCA-750 suffice?
    No surround...yet
  • cfrizz
    It depends on how heavy you go on the volume knob.

I personally subscribe to the more power you can afford to buy is the way to go. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I always recommend starting with 200wpc at 8ohms and go up from there.

Most people can hear a clear and distinct improvement in their speakers no matter where the volume knob is, especially at lower volume.

There is also the fact that the amp can stay with you through all other upgrades to your speakers, and if you get a pair of 4ohm speakers you will have enough power to drive them and not worry about it or have to upgrade.

The bottom line is to make sure your speakers are operating to their full potential, which is what an amp will do for you and a receiver won't.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    French_guy wrote: »
    Saw a pair of Focal Aria 905 - apparently new - for $400 in my area
    Is this a good deal?

Buy those 905’s. I have a pair and they’re really good for 400.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    The Parasound PLD-1100 is a nice match for the HCA-1000A. The PHP-850 is also a good choice and included a phono pre-amp stage.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    @Cathy...

Even if you think you are not using all your amp’s power, many times you really are. Transient peaks come up all over the place in music, and especially movie soundtracks. It is best to have that power stored and ready to be released when needed than to not have it and clip something.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cfrizz
    Thanks John that's a good point that I don't think about, I just know that everything sounds great and nothing has blown up yet regardless how loud I go. :D
  • So Cfrizz must be Cathy............Nice to meet you :)
    No surround...yet
  • cfrizz
    Yes French Guy, I'm Cathy, it's nice to meet you as well. :)
  • I'm Xavier by the way
    No surround...yet
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I've read several times that the Pioneer SP-B22LR were very good speakers for their price
    For music only listening, what would be other alternatives (even if they cost slightly more) to hear a noticeable difference in sound quality?
    Reading the forum, I saw MA Bronze 2, Focal Chorus 605, Polk S20, etc...
    What 2 channel receiver would be a good match for those? Same thing, trying to keep the price "decent" and aligned with the speakers......Saw the Pioneer Elite A-20? But can't find too many reviews.....probably not a good sign !!!

Thanks

Any of the 3 speakers you mentioned would be an improvement over the Pioneer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Am I wrong by saying if the speaker by itself is important, the pair speakers - amp is even more important? So a "good" speaker with the "wrong" amp might not be as good as a "simpler" speaker, but paired with the right electronic?
    With that being said, which pair would you recommend?
    No surround...yet
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I'm Xavier by the way

Get a room... <3:p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cfrizz
    Having good speakers AND good electronics/power is important to have a good system.

I only have one system that has to handle both HT/music, so I picked good speakers first then got good electronics to bring out the best out of the speakers.

I recently got the Polk Signature S60 speakers as my main speakers after having the Polk RTA-8Ts for 27 years.

These speakers are terrific. They do justice to both music and movies, I have gotten back into listening my cds in 2 channel mode since getting them.

All this will boil down to how much you want to spend. If you want new speakers or are willing to go used for your gear.

You will need to plan for the speakers, receiver or separate amp/prepro, speaker wire and IC's to hook it all together. This will get you started.

At a later point, you will need to decide if you want to add a sub to the mix for 2.1 sound. I highly recommend getting a sub because there really isn't any speaker whether book shelf or tower that can reach the levels that some music and especially movies can go down to. It is simply putting a strain on your speakers trying to do everything and then the sound gets muddled with nothing being very clear.

My 60s go lower than my RTA's but until I put a sub on either of them, I didn't realize how much I was missing and how well the mid bass cleared up with having the low bass handled by the sub.

Take your time, do your research, and put aside more money so that you can get good gear the first time around. We will be here to help you every step of the way.

• cfrizz wrote: »
    I'm Xavier by the way

Get a room... <3:p

Jealous?
    No surround...yet