Audioquest Ocean VS Audioquest Forest HDMI cable what's the difference?

Just got the Sony UBP-X800 at Best Buy for $149.99 what a deal needed 2 HDMI cables seen the Audioquest Ocean for $39.99 for a 4 footer it is the same Price as the 4 foot Audioquest Forest that Crutchfield offers what's the difference? I'm assuming the Ocean is branded for Best Buy only the specs are the same as the Forest what gives? Went with the Ocean as this baby is getting hooked up in the morning, just makes me wonder if Audioquest is now making cables specifically for Best Buy and not for Magnolia stores.
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    It's not even listed on AQ site. BB states its .25% silver plated copper. Forest is long grain copper no silver i believe.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Thanks will hook the Oceans up to the UBP-X800 then swap them out with the Audioquest Chocolate's that are hooked up to the OPPO and see if I notice a difference. Will report back.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    cool been looking for that BD player for that cost... Awesome
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • pitdogg2
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Thanks will hook the Oceans up to the UBP-X800 then swap them out with the Audioquest Chocolate's that are hooked up to the OPPO and see if I notice a difference. Will report back.

Do i have been trying to get some chocolate or vodkas at rock bottom price. Its how i roll :p
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited November 2017
    The forest is .5% silver and the chocolate is 2.5% silver. I seriously doubt you would notice a difference. Unless your system is very revealing audio wise.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited November 2017
    One Easter I went walking through the forest while listening to Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean" on my great-great-grandfather's Walkman and I found a bunch of chocolate eggs wrapped in .5% silver wrappers.

mind = blown
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    "In other news, Police found a man passed out in the woods with brown stains on his pants. The man was delirious, suffering from dehydration and exposure. Nearby was a nest of melted chocolate eggs."
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Whatever is in the coffee you guys are drinkin' this morning....I want some. WTF...you went from HDMI cables to melted Easter eggs in record time. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The difference between the ocean and the forest? One is filled with water and the other with trees. Didn’t they teach that in school?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Ocean is not a Standard Audioquest cable. Never heard of them and I have been a Audioquest dealer for over 14 years.

Stick with the normal stuff. The Forest is a wonderful HDMI cable. Priced right and ready to go.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gudnoyez
    edited November 2017
    0za7wtgko4t3.jpg

The Ocean and Sky were produced for Best Buy exclusively by Audioquest, I had to go back this morning and get a 8 footer. There was a lot of people there helping out for the Black Friday rush. I spoke to a guy that works at one of the Magnolia stores, and apparently Best Buy has sold more Audioquest with these two lines than what Magnolia sells.

Anyway swapped both the Ocean and the Choclates out between the OPPO 105D and the UBP-X800 and honestly I see nor do I hear a difference between these Oceans and Choclates nor does the wife or my daughter. The 4 foot Ocean was $49.99 the 8 footer $69.99 at that price I will just stick with these instead of spending more on two more Choclates. Not starting a debate on HDMI cables just stating what I experienced with Best Buys line of Audioquest offerings.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    My source at BestBuy tells me they use only the finest quality recycled coat hanger wire when constructing their cables, which are then hand dipped in the last remaining vat of cryogenically treated black paint for darker backgrounds and less coloration.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Ive done plenty of HDMI shootouts with other brands and then climbing the ladder with Audioquest. Honestly there is little difference as you go up. Depending on the level of your equipment there are points where there is no difference at all.
    This is why I say the Forest HDMI cable is perfect for most systems. Unless you have an extremely high end system and even then you will spend a lot of money on higher end HDMI cables and not get back the same level of performance in the amount of money invested. I don't care how much money you have or not. What I'm stating here is you could spend $1000.00 more for HDMI cables and get maybe a 1% increase in performance and thats very hard to see or hear.
    I use all Carbons in my system and the increase in performance over the Forest at retail prices in my strong opinion is not worth it. I get my cables at a discount so what I pay for them is worth it.
    But even then it's so small I could re wire my entire system back to forest or cinnamon and not miss the Carbons. They honestly just look cooler.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrloren
    Hi There,

Just put in my UDP-X800 with a forest cabel. Nice unit, a lot nicer than my Panasonic it replaced. I went through and did the normal movie seen, Netflix and MKV (from my NAS). Was thinking ok this is a nice step up. I dropped in an SACD, oh my now that is what a Sony does best audio. I kept switching the SACD between my Oppo and the Sony with no difference at all. Maybe a little to the Sony. So I went back to a great movie demo MI5. OK so the Sony can play SACD better, My older BDP-93 has a better picture and DTS-HD audio.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • gudnoyez
    edited November 2017
    mrloren wrote: »
    Hi There,

Just put in my UDP-X800 with a forest cabel. Nice unit, a lot nicer than my Panasonic it replaced. I went through and did the normal movie seen, Netflix and MKV (from my NAS). Was thinking ok this is a nice step up. I dropped in an SACD, oh my now that is what a Sony does best audio. I kept switching the SACD between my Oppo and the Sony with no difference at all. Maybe a little to the Sony. So I went back to a great movie demo MI5. OK so the Sony can play SACD better, My older BDP-93 has a better picture and DTS-HD audio.

So did you get the $149.99 deal on it? I agree with you its no slouch at SACD playback and its in the same rig as my OPPO 105D and it almost equals what the 105D can do. The Sony UBP-X800 is pretty hard to beat at that price you did good.
    Post edited by gudnoyez on
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• mrloren
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »
    Hi There,

So did you get the $149.99 deal on it? I agree with you its no slouch at SACD playback and its in the same rig as my OPPO 105D and it almost equals what the 105D can do. Did you get the Audioquest Oceans for your USB cable? The UBP-X800 is pretty hard to beat at that price you did good.

Yes I got it for $149 from Amazon. The Panasonic it replaced already had a Forest HDMI so I just used it. So far I like it.
  • dannylightning
    dannylightning Posts: 233
    edited November 2017
    u know i have a unknown brand hdmi hooking my roku to my television.. and a set of audio quest evergreens going from the tv to the stereo.. sounds pretty dam good and looks pretty damn good.

i have never tried a higher end HDMI if my amp took HDMI cables i would give it a go.. i am sure the ocean is a nice cable.. the low end 30 dollar audio quest interconnect cables sound better that allot of other brand cables i have heard that cost a bit more..

i am sure that ocean is going be alright.. its surprising how best buy gets company to make product lines just for them. they got klipsch speakers made for them. now audio quest. and who knows what else.. i don't go in there much
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• mrloren
    edited November 2017
    Went to my local BestBuy in Chula Vista. No Ocean cables there...

Oh but I'm liking this Sony player a lot
  • gudnoyez
    Yeah me to the Sony player was well worth the price. Do you live in Chula Vista? I lived in El Cajon, and La, Mesa. We will have to get together next year on my annual San Diego trip.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• I bought.a set.of forest. And a set of pearl. Just some entry level **** before I had the cash to get some.wireworld HDMI cables. Now.

My.pearl.and forest have arrows on them. On the box they say point arrows towards tv and or avr. Well.if I have an HDMI going from tv to avr do I point the arrows towards avr from tv or vice versa?
    Home theater:
    -Samsung 65" Q7F Qled - XboxOneX
    -Marantz 9.2 Channel SR6011
    -Tech 1200's
    -Polk S60 Towers

Car Audio:
    -4500 wrms cresendo mono block amp
    -Fi SP4 v2 18" sub (3000 wrms)
    -hertz 1000watt 4 channel
    -hertz mille component speakers
    -hertz spl 10" 600 wrms sub
    -370amp mechman alternator
    -2xs power 3300 amp batteries
    -2/0 gauge ofc everything
  • pitdogg2
    Go with signal flow
  • Ok so signal source would be tv. So point to receiver. Very good
    Home theater:
    -Samsung 65" Q7F Qled - XboxOneX
    -Marantz 9.2 Channel SR6011
    -Tech 1200's
    -Polk S60 Towers

Car Audio:
    -4500 wrms cresendo mono block amp
    -Fi SP4 v2 18" sub (3000 wrms)
    -hertz 1000watt 4 channel
    -hertz mille component speakers
    -hertz spl 10" 600 wrms sub
    -370amp mechman alternator
    -2xs power 3300 amp batteries
    -2/0 gauge ofc everything
  • pitdogg2
    there are several things here If coming from DVD/BR to receiver then arrows will point toward TV from receiver. If incoming signal is over the air TV channels then signal will be going to receiver UNLESS you are sending that voice signal through optical cable. IF using you receiver as the hub to distribute then arrows point towards TV

DVD/BR arrows point toward to receiver
    Receiver to TV arrows point to TV

Always follow signal flow in most cases.