Viking64 wrote: »
    It's nice having a TV that's too heavy for someone to steal. :p

Bring back the CRT RPTV. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    What's refresh rate matter when most media is at 24 or 30 fps(Hz)??
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    A lot of sports are now available at up to 60fps

Why have a 400 watt amp :/B) ...Headroom
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • FestYboy
    Ok so 60 fps native, I get that. But now we're at 1:1. There's no such thing in the realm of audio signal as it is truly dynamic, where a tv is a fast cycling still picture...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Ok so 60 fps native, I get that. But now we're at 1:1. There's no such thing in the realm of audio signal as it is truly dynamic, where a tv is a fast cycling still picture...

Really????

Some sets it is not unusual to see the white trail behind a hit baseball. And forget car racing it gets all blocky and pixelated in the corners and the crowd above. Never a problem with my plasma.
  • FestYboy
    So what exactly is happening there? Latency? Poor post processing?
  • Even though the plasma can refresh at 600hz the image is still only displaying 24fps or 60fps depending on the source. It’s just repeating frames. Some 120/240hz sets with motion technology in led/lcd try to predict and create frames rather than repeat them. Most of time the result is very unnatural and should be turned off. 24fps is considered filmed and is still ideal for movies. Sports are considered video broadcasts which video is 60fps.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • FestYboy
    ^ exactly what I'm getting at... What's the point of extreme refresh rates if 1:1 is superior?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Really????

Some sets it is not unusual to see the white trail behind a hit baseball. And forget car racing it gets all blocky and pixelated in the corners and the crowd above. Never a problem with my plasma.

You must be looking at cheap sets then. Everything with motion is about the processor. Just like a slow processor in a computer. Sony and Samsung have the best processors in my opinion. Pixelation and other junk simply doesn't happen on the better sets displaying a HD signal.
    Where even the good sets start getting wonky is when they try displaying a non HD signal. Personally, if it's not in HD, I don't bother watching it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2017
    tonyb wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Really????

You must be looking at cheap sets then. Everything with motion is about the processor. Just like a slow processor in a computer. Sony and Samsung have the best processors in my opinion. Pixelation and other junk simply doesn't happen on the better sets displaying a HD signal.
    Where even the good sets start getting wonky is when they try displaying a non HD signal. Personally, if it's not in HD, I don't bother watching it.

Nope everyone's eyes are different. Even though i wear glasses. When i look at DLP stuff as i scan across the screen i see little rainbows of color out of the corner of my eye's. Look it up its an artifact some people see. Same with LCD for me i see blur trails on some. True upper sets are much less but i still see them on some. Once you see it you cannot unsee them. Like a too bright set it gets fatiguing.
  • tonyb
    That's called an uncalibrated set then Ivan. Especially if it's a store display. Newer sets have a display mode that makes them run hot so they pop. You don't really think Timmy at BestBuy, who doesn't even know he works there, is actually skilled at calibrating sets.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2017
    Tony i know all about calibration. Yes i spent good money for it to be done on my pany plasma. That sets color kelvin rating to be more in line with the standard as well as gray scale.
    Yes i agree they set them to torch mode for stores
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I recently moved to a Sony 900E. I've got the brightness on 16/100 and I still watch with a dim light on in the background. I could have spent $500 more and gotten an OLED but I didn't feel like I needed that much TV. The Sony got me 90% there, at least as far as I can tell. 4k content is nuts. I thought the QLED TVs were overpriced.
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited December 2017
    I haven't contributed to the conversation since I threw out my initial salvo... but appreciate all the perspectives/input/opinions. Its made for a lively thread!

Still happy with my Panny Plasmas... but one day I must move on... I've staved off 4K upgrades for ~1year.. me thinks 2018 won't bring any reason to join the 4K crowd yet.

Even with the 'in-house display surprise' between OLED & QLED fundamentally I know Organic should be the better technology by all the specs and science behind the technology. Too much $$ invested in normal DVD's and BlueRays that look (sufficiently) great in 1080p and 1080i to worry about the expense and choices of 4K for now.

I gots Italian cars (Alfa Romeo) to take care of. Long live my plasma sets! lol
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • I also am on the fence about upgrading to 4K. If I do, it would be OLED. QLED, to me is just another version of an LED.
    Here is my concern with the best OLEDS - The screen producing the sound (as opposed to separate/attached speakers) might be cool to some people. But to me, it's something to be concerned about. What if the sound built into the screen craps out. Maybe it might even cause some other unforeseen problem with the tv as a whole.

For now, despite all my questions on the forum, I'm standing pat, and won't be making any changes to my ht setup.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Would probably go LED if I upgraded. Still have concerns about longevity. Last I checked, it was said, that the blue pixels have a10k life span. Figure half that.
  • tonyb
    Does any consumer product made today have a lifespan of older products ? Seriously guys, your splitting hairs. You are not going to get a lifespan in consumer electronics these days from anything. Some technologies may be worse than others, but as a whole, they all suck.

LED has been around for a while now and most the bugs have been worked out, it is what it is these days. Oled is still fairly new, so if I was to buy one, an extended warranty wouldn't be a bad idea.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    OLED :)
    Plasma :)

LCD (QLED, LED) :#
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Does any consumer product made today have a lifespan of older products ? Seriously guys, your splitting hairs. You are not going to get a lifespan in consumer electronics these days from anything. Some technologies may be worse than others, but as a whole, they all suck.

Items would last longer, but what is easier to do in today's society?
    A-Pay the high repair costs
    B-Throw away and buy new
    C-Try and repair it yourself

I'm all for "C", but there are scenarios that are beyond ones capabilities ie. dead pixels.

I repaired, a couple of years ago, a TV i bought new in 07. 4 replacement caps cost me $10. She's still my daily driver. Only when i CAN'T repair it will i think about getting a new one.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tonyb
    If dead pixels are a concern then, Oled is more prone do it than LED. Most are not up to the task of TV repairs themselves and the cost to outsource those repairs negates the cost of the TV in a lot of cases. So yeah, depending....they are throw aways. Most consumer electronics are these days.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    mrbiron wrote: »

B-Throw away and buy new

I'm all for "C", but there are scenarios that are beyond ones capabilities ie. dead pixels.

I repaired, a couple of years ago, a TV i bought new in 07. 4 replacement caps cost me $10. She's still my daily driver. Only when i CAN'T repair it will i think about getting a new one.

I think you can buy jars of bulk-packed pixels on eBAY...

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Someone needs to buy a bag of 500 and then sort them into bags of 50 and give them out as karma. :p
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    mrbiron wrote: »

B-Throw away and buy new

Next to the liquid squelch, above the left handed shelf stretchers.
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302

Someone needs to buy a bag of 500 and then sort them into bags of 50 and give them out as karma. :p

I had a few extra quantum dots, but they shifted into other universes.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I'm at that point where I want to go 4k. I have looked at new TV's for years and never bring one home. The reason is I still have my 60 inch Pioneer Elite Kuro. The Picture still is incredible for 1080p. 4k goes much further but most of the tv's I've looked at all kinda suck.
    But the Sony XBR models are probably the closest thing I have seen to a natural picture.
    Currently I'm looking at the 930/940 models and the Z9D but that's last years model and a new one is probably gonna hit around spring.
    The 900 and down do not beat the Kuro for 1080p so they will not be considered.
    I'm pretty impressed with the 75 inch xbr75X940E. It's pretty badass and 1080p stuff looks very good. I gotta do a full ISF calibration and really dig into the TV but so far I'm very impressed.
    Even the 65 inch model is very nice. It's a 930E and man it's so awesome. 4K stuff looks crazy impressive. It's like when HD came out over SD.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Honestly, it's sometimes hard to tell 4k vs 1080p on our 55" 900e. If you know, it's easier to tell but the difference was surprisingly less than I thought it would be. Sony's up conversion algorithms are really good. We're VERY happy with it. Black levels were the major difference between the Sony and an LG OLED. With local dimming though, it's not as bad as older edge lit sets. If you want black black, OLED is the way to go. But if pretty black is acceptable, then an array backlight with local dimming works pretty well.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Honestly, it's sometimes hard to tell 4k vs 1080p .
    This is way more correct than most people realize. And beyond 8 feet or so, virtually impossible to tell the difference.
  • tonyb
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Honestly, it's sometimes hard to tell 4k vs 1080p .
    This is way more correct than most people realize. And beyond 8 feet or so, virtually impossible to tell the difference.

Somewhat true, I agree. I think what some miss is though the clarity that 4k presents gets lost at distance, to my eyes their color rendition is better than 1080p at any distance. They are just more lifelike in 4k, while some led 1080p sets make colors seem a bit cartoonish. Know what I'm sayin' ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's