Where do you draw the line?

Does a man have to watch insufferable sappy movies with his woman just to shut her up and keep the peace, and I guess make her happy in some sick perverse way? I tried to watch "Dirty Dancing" with her, what a steaming heap of road apples that film was. She only relented when I started to tie an Alcatraz ascot to the ceiling fan. Seriously that film sapped me of my will to live. Anyway, she wants me to watch "Titanic" with her, should I just kill myself instead of coming home from work?

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Give Rumpelstiltskin a try. Maybe you'll both enjoy it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHVNkKdz8bo
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Me thinks someone is being unreasonable......and it's not the woman here.

A relationship takes 110% from BOTH SIDES in order for it to survive the long haul. Being this convoluted over a couple of rather "decent" movies suggests something that goes well beyond just watching what she would like to watch. Either change your views, outlook and how you feel you want to be involved in this woman's life or get a new woman.

The fact that you are posting something as minuscule and irrelevant (in the whole scheme of things) is a serious issue. One that you should not spend more than 5 minutes contemplating. Either she is worth your time, effort, devotion and love or she's not. From this post? I can only gather one conclusion.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Me thinks someone is being unreasonable......and it's not the woman here.
    Tom

In defense, Tom keep in mind that Titanic is 20yrs old, and 3:15hrs minutes long
    My wife wouldn't expect me to endure the movie...just saying

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Bruce, seriously, get out of this relationship, NOW. You're not even married & can't stand her. Get out before you do something you'll regret.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Danny Deckchair is a great little romantic comedy with Miranda Otto and Rhys Ifans
    The storyline might not convey the right message, though.
    Then again...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337960/
    5nio36goavzi.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    If you don't pay too much attention to the love story in titanic, there are some pretty redeeming qualities. For starters, it has great audio, and is a real workout for your sub in the sinking sequence. It also has some amazing visuals, and it also plays pretty straight on the historical sequence of events.

You could be asked to suffer through far worse chick-flicks. My advice? Watch it, then tell her due to the length of Titanic, she owes you a John Wick double feature.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    There are **** in Titanic...and she chose to watch it which means you are exempt for any scowling.

Winning!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I think someone needs Thorazine
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I believe etiquette dictates that you as the man are required to suit through the chick.

Although allowances are made to accommodate the situation so as it doesn't stray into torture.

You are allowed to spend 5 of every 20 minutes in the bathroom or going to the kitchen to get a beer. This is only applicable to beer as any other adult beverage constitutes enjoyment of said chick flick, and you have one demerit on your man-card.

You are allowed to sleep through said chick flick so long as you remain in the semi upright position and do not snore. Your job is to spend quality time with your partner so lying down, covering your head with a pillow, and snoring at volume levels at the start of a NASCAR race are strictly forbidden. Violation of this rule will reinstate two demerits to your man-card, but entitles your significant other to hold this over your head, and mention it each and every time she looks at you for a period not exceeding 104 years for any real or imagined transgression you may commit, even in her sleep.

You may not speak unless addressed by her, and must only answer in agreement with whatever she just said, and you paid no attention too. Violating this rule will result in having to not only watch, but pay attention to the dialogue to the next 3 movies that your significant others. Your significant other is forbidden to select any movie starring J-Lo, Btittany Spears, Ashton Kutcher, and Ben Afflack in a super hero movie. In addition she is allowed to complain about your behavior for a period not exceeding 288 hours from the time of said infraction.

Theses rules only apply to men who currently have or a perusing a relationship with one they deem a significant other.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I think someone needs Thorazine

Ding Ding Ding!! Winner winner, chicken dinner!!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Smother her in her sleep with a pillow. When you get paroled 20 years from now, you'll thank me.

Best to use a My Pillow for this as they are said to be 'unsmotherable' because of the spacing between the relatively large pillow stuffing materials. Then you can say, "It was all in fun!" B) And....she might get your point! :#

• maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Titanic is a pretty good 30 minute movie with a 2.5 hour filler. If you can keep from going crazy for the first 2.5 hours the remainder is good. If you skip completely then make sure to at least Google "Titanic Propeller Man".
  • txcoastal1
    Titanic is a pretty good 30 minute movie with a 2.5 hour filler. If you can keep from going crazy for the first 2.5 hours the remainder is good. If you skip completely then make sure to at least Google "Titanic Propeller Man".

Agree...start with disc 2
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    Watch Wonder Woman with her :)

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Smother her in her sleep with a pillow. When you get paroled 20 years from now, you'll thank me.

LMAO.....my thoughts also.

Spot on Tom.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    I wanted to give my share. I liked and loved all the responses. Perfect. Lol.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Ok I have the perfect compromise: you make it through Titanic (pillow biting optional), and she has to watch Dune (sci-fi channel version).
  • Good suggestions all around so far.
    But I might suggest a little "aversion therapy".

It might take a little searching on your part but get yourself a copy of the 1981 movie, "The French Lieutenant's Woman", starring Meryl Streep and Jeremy Iron".
    I say that it might take a little searching because it's my understanding that it's been banned in 38 countries on charges of "crimes against humanity".
    A brief summary from IMDb:
    "A story, set in 19th century England, about Charles, a biologist who's engaged to be married, but who falls in love with outcast Sarah, whose melancholy makes her leave him after a short, but passionate affair."

2 hours and 4 minutes but time will slow down as you watch this movie.

Afterwards, your girlfriend will never want to watch another chick flick.
    This will give you both time to resolve any other issues that exist in your relationship.

Sal Palooza
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I'm disappointed in you guys. I resisted Titanic for a long time, refused to go see it in the theater only to walk in to my wife crying in front of the TV. I asked what was wrong and she told me she had started watching Titanic. Well, I sat down and watched the last 45 minutes with her and then had to go back and watch the whole thing.

Short story long, it's a great movie. If you haven't watched Titanic you are short changing yourself. Dirty Dancing, IMO was a ****!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Wow, that was supposed to read Dirty Dancing was a T U R D! and it got censored...
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    ^ that's what I've been saying!!! Vanilla is censoring G rated language. Can't type F A R T either, or variations of the word scr-ew, among others.
  • txcoastal1
    kharp1 wrote: »

Short story long, it's a great movie. If you haven't watched Titanic you are short changing yourself. Dirty Dancing, IMO was a ****!

Yes Titanic was a good me for first couple times, 20yrs later...been there done that

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    msg wrote: »
    Watch her reaction during the scene where Rose pushes Jack off the ice to save herself and get away with the jewel.

This makes Titanic a great character litmus test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDqsgbtpDLk