Netflix...pppffffttttt

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited October 2017 in The Clubhouse
Finally jumped in the Netflix pool about 2 months ago. Pretty disappointed---I thought Netflix was suppose to be the "video store on the net"-- hardly. Some recent searches:

Sound of Music: NOPE
Halloween (Original): NOPE
Hocus Pocus: NOPE
Justified: NOPE

There's a couple others that I can't recall at the moment. WTH?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Netflix sucks camel ****s!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2017
    $8.99 a month, don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Yep--been watching Stranger Things, very good.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Cancelled them a year ago.... It does suck and I hear they have a price increase coming.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • motorhead43026
    edited October 2017
    Cancelled them a year ago.... It does suck and I hear they have a price increase coming.

Increase from $7.99 to $8.99 a month.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I still do the Netflix DVD rental and have no issues with that.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    I like them and do physical DVD and streaming. Between these two there's plenty of stuff on there. I also get new movie releases within a month or two after releasing the DVD to retail.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,457

...then why is mine at $10.99/month?
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Netflix + Hulu + Amazon Prime (for access to movies & music)....

Thats what we have, but we have to keep a basic cable package or our internet gets capped because they know you don't have cable because you stream...

We've found a lot of things that WERE on Netflix show wise moved to Hulu as NBC, Fox, etc basically own Hulu.

CBS regular TV shows are on CBS All Access.

For us we barely turn to the Uverse Input on the TV once a day as we just watch the DVR'd shows (all regular basic network channels) on Hulu, and once in a RARE while we rent a movie from On-Demand.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    DSkip wrote: »
    Netflix - for those with children and without cable. Well worth the $$$ for a family of 6.

x100. Same boat here, totally worth it with SIX EFFING kids. Why did we do this to ourselves, Skipper???

I also don't know why people even expect movies on Netflix streaming anymore. I mean, yes, flix is in the title, but the focus in CLEARLY on original content (including BBC shows as "original"). And on that front, they have a LOT of choices. I don't have much time for tv, but I think that even if I watched a couple hours a night (which I don't) Netflix would keep me happy for a good long time. Of course, YMMV...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,270
    edited October 2017
    Netflix's streaming catalog went down the tubes years ago in the early stages of their streaming service before it grew to be what it is now. This seemed to coincide with when they they stopped working with Starz for streaming films. Back then, most people were still using the DVD service.

Yes, their streaming catalog pretty much just plain sucks. With a few exceptions, it's best for binge watching old tv programs. I do have to say, they do seem to be coming on strong with some of their originals, some of which look interesting. But yeah, most of their streaming catalog - Amazon's too - is crap, and the films offered wouldn't even meet a good Michael Madsen-ish B-movie rating.

Sad thing is, this is all some people know and use, so, limited catalogs from Netflix and Amazon are sort of resetting the bar on content evaluation. If you take all the good stuff away, and there are a ton of people viewing what's left, that leftover content will still get rated. People are determining their favorite flavors of garbage. People just don't know what they don't know, what they haven't been exposed to. They don't know that there's better out there. These streaming models from Netflix and Amazon are banking on ignorance, and making a ton of money shoveling crap and calling it innovative. At least Amazon gives you the option to rent other stuff. You just gotta pay between $3 - $6 or more for it.

I just recently added back in the Netflix DVD plan which gets you access to a proper catalog of films and programs. I use Netflix streaming for old shows and stuff.

It's kind of funny to me sometimes now - there are people out there who didn't even realize that Netflix had a DVD service, let alone started as a DVD rental service. It's not obvious when you go to their site.
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorhead43026
    edited October 2017
    smglbrth wrote: »

My bad $9.99 to $10.99.

I think there is a $7.99 option.

Post edited by motorhead43026 on

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    The thing that bugs me the most about Netflix is their user interface. You basically have to know what you want to watch and search for it.

I like apps like the Amazon Prime app for example that gives you categories to scroll through. Netflix just gives you ideas based on what you've watched before, but with kids (they use both our profile and theirs)....all I get is kids shows recommended!! So if I'm not sure what I'm in the mood to watch, I basically just exit the app.

But I agree with @DSkip and @rooftop59 , it is well worth it for the kids.

On a cord-cutting side note. We did a 6-month period where we got rid of Dish and strictly streamed everything. Via a Roku we had Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and Sling TV.

I think streaming is the wave of the future, but not quite ready yet. Sling TV was always a little jittery especially with live sports. And we have rock star internet..

Plus, where we live we couldn't get local networks via an antennae so that was tough.

We signed back up for dish for another 2 years and I am happy. I need my live sports and local channels.

At the end of this contract I'll probably look at the streaming landscape again.

2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @hochpt21

We setup kids profiles for that reason, also we can control what they watch rating wise (I think)....

But more importantly, their list is theirs, and mine is mine....

I also went through the list of played shows and deleted the stuff that wasn't me and then it adjusted my list accordingly.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    So I guess they are going to go up by a buck/mo

v97jqnwdoz4w.png
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Netflix is awesome, IMO.

TONS of stuff to watch especially documentaries and original programming; Jessica Jones, Dare Devil, House of Cards, Luke Cage, Ozark, Narcos...

Add on how great it is for my kids, Netflix is a no-brainer in my house.

At this point, ONE streaming service is not going to cut it. I currently have; Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime and Hulu. Between them all I'm more than happy and I'm still paying way less than cable.

Plus my Mother and Father uses most of my accounts so we are both no longer forking over all of that money for cable...
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    Netflix streaming service is terrible for movie selection and I'm not interested in watching series'. Dumped them more than a year ago & don't miss it one bit.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    To each their own I guess,

I still get the DVD/BD service and the kids stream a ton. Narcos and Stranger things are awesome shows.

Other than football I mostly don't watch normal TV. It's either spinning a disc or stream it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Upstatemax
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Netflix streaming service is terrible for movie selection and I'm not interested in watching series'. Dumped them more than a year ago & don't miss it one bit.

Netflix stopped being all about movies a long time ago. Too much competition and narrow margins.

WAY more money in exclusive and original content while peppering in some movies here and there...
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    I would much rather way a great series with strong multi dimensional characters and good plot development that most movies anyway. And Netflix lots of great series’s.

TV used to be terrible. Now there are great shows all over the place. Netflix is one of the top producers along with hbo and showtime imho...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited October 2017

Seen you coming :pB)
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,457
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Seen you coming :pB)

Yup, no kidding..., but it was this or back to Amazon Prime...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    I dropped netflix when they had their big price increase a longggg time ago.
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Marfly
    Marfly Posts: 66
    Steve, I gave them up years ago when they split their DVD/Streaming Service and hiked their rates. Pretty crappy that they did that to their customer base that helped build them, IMO.

On another note, I prefer amazon. They have a decent selection of free streaming included with prime.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,628
    edited October 2017
    There are so many free streaming sites that have all of the best movies, that I hardly ever watch Netflix. Plus, I pretty much hate every damn TV show from the last few decades.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    edited October 2017
    DSkip wrote: »
    Netflix - for those with children and without cable. Well worth the $$$ for a family of 6.

Yep, I think you hit it right there. Also for adults who want to catch up on seasons of old TV shows like Greys Anatomy. Nothing is first run on there except for their own Netflix produced stuff. Kinda like a music service that plays only B sides of records.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    A family member gave me his password to use his account. Glad I never subscribed. It's pretty tough to find a decent movie. Only watched the Narco's series which was so so. It's kind of a low budget type of series which I would rate it about a 6 out of 10.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    I enjoyed Stranger Things and wasn't really looking forward to the 2nd season as I felt the story had kinda endd in the 1st season, but USA today and other critics are saying it's as good or better than the 1st season. Releases in a few days.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Upstatemax
    edited October 2017
    Some of guys are forgetting that if Netflix did not change to its current form, this thread would have been called, “Remeber that Netflix company?”

They were bleeding money thanks to crazy high licensing fees and people did not want to pay a fair price for access to that content.

IF there was a streaming service that offered all of the latest movies and TV shows it would cost the same, if not more than your cable bill.

We will always have two choices; pony up the cash for current, high demand content, or wait a awhile to get it for less money.

Make your choice!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    We will always have two choices; pony up the cash for current, high demand content, or wait a awhile to get it for less money.

Make your choice!

Good point, and waiting awhile with Netflix could take years for some material. Pony up, life's too short to wait around.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable