Netflix...pppffffttttt

2»

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited October 2017
    9 Bucks a month,
    Well worth it.

Who truly expects First run movies, that cost like $5.00-$8.00 each on other services to be had for 9 bucks a month on Netflix?
    No company could survive doing that, let alone be able to buy the rights to the movies...
    We find hundreds of great movies from the last 2-7 years all the time.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited October 2017
    In SD which I have no use for.

I Just looked at there movie lineup and I don't see what I would consider "first run".

There are mostly movies I wouldn't even watch

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,942
    I almost made it through “Bloodline” on Netflix....it started off decent enough but then then the storyline and acting became so hoaky I gave up.
    Just started Schitts Creek with Chris Elliot....Chris Elliot rocks.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Well, you could get HBO go for a few bucks more and have access to more current stuff. I don't mind old stuff, as long as it's quality old stuff. Netflix has some quality stuff but the majority is garbage in my opinion. As far as movies go anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    We rarely go to the movies anymore. Too loud, ignorant people and no pause button :)
    Still getting dvds in the mail, so we are not getting the latest and greatest but they are still fairly recent. Saving a lot of $$ on theater tix and snacks...and our snacks at home are better anyways!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Mikey081057
    At this point anything that isn't on 4KUHD I don't want to watch it. HD for tv. SD and DVD.... Meh.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,306
    At this point anything that isn't on 4KUHD I don't want to watch it. HD for tv. SD and DVD.... Meh.

There isn't a large amount of content yet, but Netflix does have 4K shows. You have to pay for the top tier which is, I think, $12 or $13. If you have a 4K TV, they show up on the Netflix menu with a separate row.

It also allows you to use Netflix on up to 4 screens at the same time, so there's a lot of people sharing their logins.
  • Mikey081057
    I had it when I had my sub... it was meh...

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I still haven't seen anything 4K. Mainly because i don't have anything in my home that is 4K compatible and haven't been in a best buy for at least a year.

I am more than happy getting Bluray's through the DVD service. The new releases are only behind by a month which doesn't bother me a bit. With the 2 DVD plan, i can receive up to 4 movies a week.

The price increase is so small in the grand scheme. Most people see a 5% raise every year. For netflix to raise their price by a couple of dollars is more than reasonable since it happens every other year. What does that equate too...an extra $20 a year...
    If that increase is out of line, you may want to rethink your priorities.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Watching the Defenders this week in 4K while the wife is out of town. I am not sure that it is better than 1080p blu ray, but it does look awesome!

Basically all of their original content - which is just voluminous at this point - is in 4K and what I have seen looks really good...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,306
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Watching the Defenders this week in 4K while the wife is out of town. I am not sure that it is better than 1080p blu ray, but it does look awesome!

Basically all of their original content - which is just voluminous at this point - is in 4K and what I have seen looks really good...

There was a chart I saw today that shows how distance and size of the screen affects whether we see a 4K difference or not. For instance, I have a 55" screen and would have to sit 4-6 feet from the screen to see the difference between it and 1080p.

Sitting about 11 feet from it, like I normally do, I can't tell any difference between the two resolutions.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

There was a chart I saw today that shows how distance and size of the screen affects whether we see a 4K difference or not. For instance, I have a 55" screen and would have to sit 4-6 feet from the screen to see the difference between it and 1080p.

Sitting about 11 feet from it, like I normally do, I can't tell any difference between the two resolutions.

Sounds like you need a bigger screen :wink:
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

I think that is probably right, and I have a 49 inch screen and sit about the same distance away. Looks much different a few feet away!

However, on the other hand, I am a little skeptical of these claims because they used to say the same thing re: 720p vs 1080p. However, now that our eyes are trained, I think that many of us could tell the difference between the resolutions on a screen that is "too small" to be able to tell.

Its the same with music, right? Lots of people will say that no one can perceive differences between amps, cables, 320 Mbps MP3 vs FLAC, etc., and that's true for most people. But for someone who has had enough exposure and trained their ears, they can tell the difference fairly easily...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Netflix is awesome, IMO.

TONS of stuff to watch especially documentaries and original programming; Jessica Jones, Dare Devil, House of Cards, Luke Cage, Ozark, Narcos...

Add on how great it is for my kids, Netflix is a no-brainer in my house.

At this point, ONE streaming service is not going to cut it. I currently have; Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime and Hulu. Between them all I'm more than happy and I'm still paying way less than cable.

Plus my Mother and Father uses most of my accounts so we are both no longer forking over all of that money for cable...

Ozark is AMAZING, I am almost done with Mindhunters which I feel is great as well. For movies, meh. For series and original content series they are pretty high up there in my opinion.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    The thing that bugs me the most about Netflix is their user interface. You basically have to know what you want to watch and search for it.

I like apps like the Amazon Prime app for example that gives you categories to scroll through. Netflix just gives you ideas based on what you've watched before, but with kids (they use both our profile and theirs)....all I get is kids shows recommended!! So if I'm not sure what I'm in the mood to watch, I basically just exit the app.

But I agree with @DSkip and @rooftop59 , it is well worth it for the kids.

On a cord-cutting side note. We did a 6-month period where we got rid of Dish and strictly streamed everything. Via a Roku we had Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and Sling TV.

I think streaming is the wave of the future, but not quite ready yet. Sling TV was always a little jittery especially with live sports. And we have rock star internet..

Plus, where we live we couldn't get local networks via an antennae so that was tough.

We signed back up for dish for another 2 years and I am happy. I need my live sports and local channels.

At the end of this contract I'll probably look at the streaming landscape again.

Netflix has Genre collections. When you log in have to scroll up.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,160
    It's just ok.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,158
    edited November 2017
    Netflix has become more of an original programming source over the last few years. Many of their shows are award winning (House of Cards, Stranger Things, The Crown, Orange is the New Black, etc).

If you want a one stop place for older movies, forget about it. It doesn't exist anymore. Everyone vies for exclusive rights to certain studios now. You need to have multiple services if you want to have "everything." Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. For the new releases, nothing beats a $2 RedBox rental and a BD-Rom drive (hint: MakeMKV)
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    billbillw wrote: »
    ..... The Crown...

The wife and I anxiously await season 2, in Dec IIRC.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited November 2017
    I like Netflix, for sure...just shocked a little that pretty common movies weren't available. We already "binge-watched" the entire new season of Stranger Things...LOL we suck.

I like "Burn Notice" also.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2