Corner subs for my theater build

So I have been working on getting my basement finished and decided to take a break from the standard construction work to start building the rear subs for my theater.
The front stage will have 4 SI HT18D2s in DIYSG 4cf sealed enclosures stacked.
The rear subs will be in the back corners of the theater in custom built 4cf (after driver and bracing) corner cabinets housing 2 more SI HT18D2s.

The enclosures will be hidden behind fabric covered panels. I will finish them in black but I am not worried about them being perfect.
That being said, I am happy with how the first one came out. I still need to do the driver recess (waiting for my rabbet bit to show up), drill the hole on the top for the speakon and then shoot it black...after I complete the second one...
q1187vf5f4cg.jpg
alckkeoa1h0b.jpg

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Impressive.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I see a LOT of sheetrock.
    Can we get a glimpse at the rest of the space?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Lol. That's only half of what's left. The rest of the 5/8" sheets are still in the garage.
    Theater is getting 2 layers of 5/8" while the outside wall between the bar and theater is getting 2 layers of 1/2".

I will see about getting some pics today but it is currently very messy down there.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrbiron
    It's not messy, its organized chaos. ;)

Why not stick with a single layer of 5/8 on the bar wall? I'm not really UP on my STC ratings but i wonder what the difference between 2 layers of 1/2" and 1 layer of 5/8 would be? If you soundbatt the cavity, i think the extra 1/2" is moot.

You're looking at a rating of somewhere in the 60-65 area which means you could be listening to 100db in your HT and only 30db would escape....That's going to be preeeeeetty quiet. :p
  • ZLTFUL
    I will have a total of 6 18 subs running off of a possible 14,000 watts of class D amplification. The rear wall is a staggered 6" bar side stud, 3.5" theater side stud clip isolated wall. There is R19 batts on the bar side, R11 on the theater side with a ~2.5" air gap between.

My goal is an STC in the neighborhood of 70-73. And my wife was adamant about the bar and theater not interfering with each other's enjoyment.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I will have a total of 6 18 subs running off of a possible 14,000 watts of class D amplification. The rear wall is a staggered 6" bar side stud, 3.5" theater side stud clip isolated wall. There is R19 batts on the bar side, R11 on the theater side with a ~2.5" air gap between.

My goal is an STC in the neighborhood of 70-73. And my wife was adamant about the bar and theater not interfering with each other's enjoyment.

Holy kcuf!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Holy kcuf!

Still not enough subs IMHO........ Need a front baffle wall of nothing but 21's or 32's... THEN we are talking lol.....

Ryan.... when you get ready for opening night, give me a heads up. I will see about coming out for it, and also throw together a invite for you to print/mail/post for others....

Make it a red carpet event.... I could even print out a fake backdrop like the Oscars to take photos with hehehe....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrbiron

Wow....i know whose basement i'm going to when i want to start hacking people apart. :p
    I thought my quick math was pretty close but i might be missing something. Are you doing one wall or two? Are you fully installing acoustic panels to cover the 100% of the walls?

Sorry for the questions. I just want to have something to fall back on when the time comes for me to build a better HT room. ;)
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2017
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Sorry for the questions. I just want to have something to fall back on when the time comes for me to build a better NURSERY room. ;)

Fixed it for you @mrbiron

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775

And she'll beat mine and Ryans beehind for building it wrong. She's got knife skillz too.
  • mrbiron
    Sorry for the questions. I just want to have something to fall back on when the time comes for me to build a better NURSERY room. ;)

Fixed it for you @mrbiron

No more children my friend.....at least not that have my genes.
    Remember, you and i share a common bond with being in the "Two Daughters Club" or as i like to call it...F^&*3d.
  • EndersShadow
    Agreed lol....
  • ZLTFUL
    Room within a room.
    2 walls are adjacent to outer concrete walls. The other 2 walls are essentially 3 walls thick with staggered studs and double drywall on both outer faces. Green glue between layers in the theater, both walls and ceilings.
    The subfloor above the theater is getting 2 layers of drywall with green glue between both subfloor and drywall and then both layers of drywall in each joist bay. R19 in the ceiling.

Room treatments will be a best of scenario once the "bunker" is finished and I can measure the response of the room. But a combo of absorption and diffusion.

Doors will be a pair of solid core communicating doors with weather strip and mechanical thresholds.

The risers and stage will be configured as bass traps. With both rows of seating being suspended and only the "pit" between the first riser and the stage being on top of the concrete (although, I will most likely do dricore for that.

• mrbiron
    w00f.
    We do separated demising walls in our buildings as well. One big difference is in between the 2 studded walls, we have a layer of plywood but that is primarily for "shear" forces on the building. You can't hear anything when complete.

Sounds like fun. Pun INTENDED!

The only two changes i would have made would be to add resilient channel to the ceiling to decouple the drywall from your floor joists for noise/bass transmission, AND don't buy into drywall glue, on your next go around of course.

POSTS MORE PICTURES DAMNIT!!!! :p
  • lightman1
    Resilient channel is in the house, Fredrique. Fancy little de-couple system.
    Looks like neoprene isolation boots to hold the track in place away from the bottom of the TGI joists.

Ryan can elaborate.
  • ZLTFUL
    Clips and channel is on the menu for the ceiling. I am doing it a bit differently so as to not give up the head room...clips recessed so that the drywall is ~1/2" below the original joists.

Doing a layer of plywood inside the walls...or any "sealed" mass really would cause a triple leaf effect.

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Holy Cow. Hope you have a good dental plan and chiropractor because that room should jar everything loose and in the wrong direction. How big is the room?
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • mrbiron
    Clips and channel is on the menu for the ceiling. I am doing it a bit differently so as to not give up the head room...clips recessed so that the drywall is ~1/2" below the original joists.

Doing a layer of plywood inside the walls...or any "sealed" mass really would cause a triple leaf effect.

Nice!!! Isolation clips on the RC1 channel is legit. Glad to see you know drywall screw spacing. Can't wait to see your corner bead :p

We need the plywood for structural requirements on our end. Would be a little overkill...

Pictures...don't make me ask a 45th time.

Lightman, I'm holding up a finger for you and no, it's not NOT my middle finger.
  • ZLTFUL
    Sorry for the delay on pics. Working this evening so I have been focused on that.

You can check out the weak start to my build thread here...
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/2831929-blank-slate-cinema-macgillvray-pub-build-thread.html

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Looks like a sweet build!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Pfffft... build a REAL sub Ryan...

ctzmf49s29ol.jpg

;)
  • ZLTFUL
    I don't have an air hole or I would!

• ZLTFUL
    edited October 2017
    Spent the last week prepping and painting all 6 sub enclosures, 6 DIYSG Volt 8LXs in slanted ported enclosures and 4 Volt 6LXs in sealed Atmos enclosures.

81uhml3v05er.jpg
    w5oibrvwvxwj.jpg
    wtiw6jklgmhq.jpg
    sqptz5lkk683.jpg

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    ^^^ That looks like some enemy alien army building up to attack Earth.
  • EndersShadow
    Looks great.... know it sucked balls lol...

Understand why you needed a fancy night out on the town!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Very nice!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mrbiron
    I just want it done!!! :D
  • ZLTFUL

You and me both.

• lightman1
    I'm sitting right next to you, dipstick. Grab a hammer.

You and me both.

• ZLTFUL
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I'm sitting right next to you, dipstick. Grab a hammer.

You and me both.

I will throw a hammer at your stupid face!