problem with polk audio dra 12

Hey. I bought a pair of speakers POLK AUDIO DRA 12. there was a problem with crossovers. Someone did not do a professional job with a soldering iron and now do not work tweeters. I ask you to send a diagram or photos of the correct crossover board.

Best Answers

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited September 2017
    There is no such model. How about you post some photos of what you have.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• on the crossover board it is written POLK AUDIO DRA 12 . what exactly is the model I do not know. I send photoszsqk6y3x9n7v.jpg
    yhbwm598garw.jpg
    dgfnrjmx7rpc.jpg
    idv6z2qcykkx.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited September 2017
    It clearly says RTA 12 on the crossover board, so your model is the RTA 12.

In your 3rd and 4th photos it appears one lead on the fuse is broken. The cause is the previous owner over drove their amp resulting in enough heat to melt the solder joint.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I also ask you to send either a diagram or photos where it is seen how correctly it should be that I am corrected on my crossovers. here is another photonq5pdyl95plg.jpg
    jcbwddx3po4l.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited September 2017
    You need to solder the leads back onto the fuse block.

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited September 2017
    I have blown a fuse or two in the day........but cranking it up till the solder melts sounds awesome! :D

Wish I was there to hear it (his speakers, not mine)
  • thanks for answers . I need photos of the bottom of the crossover board with the correct location of the contacts so I can fix it on my own
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    fireserzh wrote: »
    thanks for answers . I need photos of the bottom of the crossover board with the correct location of the contacts so I can fix it on my own

Then you need someone else to do the work. You have two speakers correct? Do both have the same problem? If not then your picture is before your eyes. Each side of the fuse block should have a wire coming to it find the wire and resolder it back to the side without a wire. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at the disconnected wire in your pictures pull it up wrap to the block the flow solder to the joint.
    If this is something you can't do its ok to admit that but all the pictures in the world will not fix it.
    This is a very simple fix
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited September 2017
    See the wire on the right that comes up through the hole in the board and is soldered to the fuse block? You need to make the broken wire on the left that is just poking through the board look like the right side.

dfhaf1r0tzcl.jpg
  • thanks for the photo. from the plug out three wires, black must be pierced through the hole in the board and soldered to the fuse contact? I understand correctly?
  • pitdogg2
    It's your photo....
    LOL

Look at the other speaker for conformation it really is THAT easy
  • Viking64
    I have 1000 memes for this, but sadly none of them are in Cyrillic. :p
  • pitdogg2
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I have 1000 memes for this, but sadly none of them are in Cyrillic. :p
    You noticed that to? License plate gave it away ;)
  • Viking64
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You noticed that to? License plate gave it away ;)
    Exactly. :D

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    It looks like you have 3 holes in the passive on the right speaker that needs some attention also.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Viking64
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    It looks like you have 3 holes in the passive on the right speaker that needs some attention also.

He is going to need photos of the passive on the right speaker that needs some attention with the correct location of the holes so he can fix it on his own. Thank you in advance. :p
  • F1nut
    dkfreebird wrote: »

If those puncture marks are limited to the outer layer the PR will not leak air.

President of Club Polk

• about the passive membrane, I thought but for now I want to end with crossovers. not a professional soldering on both columns, so I can not compare how it should be properly done. spread more photos. From the bottom of the board under the fuse you can see that the piece of wire was soldered and closed straight. I'll clean it up. but I do not know which wire to solder to the second fuse contact. black wire from a three-core connector?c8udayj7vgng.jpg
    wvay1ge0wn2r.jpg
    v71fapy4gkfu.jpg
    rob0r7wa1uum.jpg
    ri9uc7gvywhk.jpg
    7m51mlwoj6mk.jpg
  • I apologize for my language, I write through a translator :);)
  • Viking64
    It looks like someone bypassed the fuse on both crossovers. With a short blue wire on one and with a short white wire on the other. If this was done previous to when you made this thread, I would guess that the fuse block not being properly attached was not your issue. If this is something you did AFTER getting our advice....

gnoxfnamejz7.jpg
  • I bought the speakers in this condition. they were packed. now I want to remove all traces of non-professional repair and do as it should be.
  • pitdogg2
    I bought the speakers in this condition. they were packed. now I want to remove all traces of non-professional repair and do as it should be.

And this is where we should of started.
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2017
    Yes unless you have good quality high current amplification i would keep the fuse in the circuit. Most stereo/home theater receivers just do not have the amount of current needed for the RTA 12 speakers.

Just my opinion
  • which amplifiers do you recommend? what do you think, 80 watts per channel will suffice? Now I have AKAI AM 2800 and the kit HITACHI HMA 7500+ HCA 7500.

• F1nut
    Here are the schematics for the RTA 12 series.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/434476/#Comment_434476

President of Club Polk

• send please the photo from the bottom of the fuse so you can see what and where soldered

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    send please the photo from the bottom of the fuse so you can see what and where soldered

The first 2 pics show the bottom solder points
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a