Acoustic Panel Build

Comments

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited May 2017
    I've got a few yards of burlap purchased from ATS if anyone wants to pay shipping. Otherwise no cost to you. Came rolled up so no creases. I'll just need to figure out how to ship it. It's 56" high and yards long. I bought mostly the Natural but also some yards of Ivory.

https://www.atsacoustics.com/lightweight-burlap-fabric.html

My DIY builds in the natural.
    v5yity2kdal5.jpg

I also used this stuff on the back boards. It's a very interesting "paint".
    https://www.parts-express.com/acry-tech-acoust-x-1-gallon-absorption-coating-paintable-damping-material--260-105?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Here are some I built for LSAF. Stands are made with black pipe and base filled with lead shot.
    mm7uyb0wpi7k.jpg
    p5ebmfpn74fz.jpg
    jjxfnl006xt0.jpg
    06o6k2a8ge2c.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    edited June 2017
    I added clouds this weekend.
    Really helped focus the image.
    It just keeps getting better and better. :)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • machone
    More info on the clouds.

I used hardware from HD. Dipped the hooks in black Rustoleum. The chain came black. The plastic toggles are great because they do not fall apart when the screw is removed (in this case the screw is a 10-24 J-hook).
    I mounted the frames before attaching fabric and fiberglass.

With the addition of the clouds the image feels more solid. I am noticing things like two voices where before I thought it was one voice. The same with instruments. Also there is better depth and separation between voices and instruments.

I guess now that I don't have as many sound waves bouncing around the room I can hear what is actually coming out the the speakers.

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    Very nice work y'all!
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    machone wrote: »
    More info on the clouds. I mounted the frames before attaching fabric and fiberglass.

zta9b3a1h6js.jpg

How on Earth did you do that??? Drywall lift? I honestly can't figure out how you added the insulation and fabric once the frames were on the ceiling. I had a hard enough time doing it on the floor.

Nevertheless great job! A+
  • machone
    Bad description on my part.
    I pre-installed the frames without fiberglass and fabric.
    I then took them down finished them and reinstalled. B)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Gotcha! Makes much more sense now. I seriously thought you were some sort of spider mutant with eight appendages to be able to do that, even with a drywall lift. Great job.
  • machone
    Thanks
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    I added two more 4" bass traps to the upper left hand side of the room.

ciy6bgyhvwza.jpg

They attenuated the top end too much so I ran a quick test by covering them with plastic bags to kill the top end absorption.

6scheoz2e2h5.jpg

This worked like a charm so I took them down, disassembled them and covered the outside fiberglass surface with FRK.

cbhhppv2g0pz.jpg

Reassembled, rehung and everything is good now.

I also built removable panel/screens for the hot water heater and water softener to hide the mess.

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Thanks Skip,
    My garage rig is my only rig!
    It would not be possible without the knowlrdge and support of this forum. B)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    I added a 9ft tall x 2ft wide x 4in thick corner bass trap to my room.
    I have been holding off because the Hafler upgrade has been burning in and I wanted to change only one thing at a time. The Hafler has several hundred hours on it and is pretty stabile so I went ahead and added the bass trap.
    I only listened for maybe an hour tonight but it really helps imaging.
    I am very happy with my progress with this room. I have 4 first reflection panels, 6 bass traps and they have completely changed the room for the better. :)

35fl5fubspqc.jpg
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    4t4y6ho1kiro.png

I tried something new last night.

See all of the doors on the wall to the right. I cracked them open a few degrees to act as diffusers. Some open horizontally and some vertically so they really redirect any sound coming their way.

The result is the room sounds different. It's kinda hard to explain but music seems to be more detailed with a sense of space. Bass seems faster with lower bass stronger but some mid bass softer.

I am not sure where this will end but for sure they change the room acoustics.

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    It's all about the room. Very nice work!
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Very nice work. I had planned to build my own panels, but living in L.A. there are several builders who sell for not much more than my cost would be. Honestly, your work is as good / better than what I purchased from a pro! Enjoy.
  • machone
    Thanks guys.
    Here are some photos of the cabinet doors cracked open. I used old hinges to hold the vertically hinged doors open. The horizontal
    ones just rest on the opening.

This really is an improvement. Without the diffusion I must have standing waves that cause a heaviness that hurts image detail.
    An example would be that I can now hear two voices where I though it was one voice.

7kyyudtw3745.jpg
    09uzkh3nkakv.jpg
    t18aqy0iz13s.jpg

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    I added 12 ft of 2 ft wide by 4 inch thick bass traps above the garage door. Also two small traps in each corner.

Continuing to tweak the panels. Some are 703 but most are 705. IMO 703 kills the highs and needs to be used carefully. I have un-wrapped, swapped fiberglass, re-wrapped until I am blue in the face. I think I am very close with one future set of panels to go.

The room has been transformed. I did notice I need to raise the volume a little to get the same db but this is a good thing.

My ears are happy! B)

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    I built a 12x24x1 inch panel and placed behind my rack to soften the Hafler 500 fan noise. Now it is barely perceivable from the listening position.
    j3etdisy7tjc.jpg
    6p7t6ro6ms1z.jpg

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone

cj1u58e0zgmc.jpg
    4tchtjhf0i2c.jpg

I now have enough panels to make this room very good, but up until last night I was not quite all the way there.

I have been tuning the two panels above and to the sides of the TV. Fiberglass with a fabric cover results in the imaging and bass being slightly muffled. Covering the face of the panels with plastic does wonders for the imaging but is a little bit bright.

So I covered one half of each of the two panels.

Bingo! Superb imaging with great bass.

I will add aluminized paper under the fabric to finalize.

I find it amazing that I can use a piece of garbage bag to tune my room.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    cn0gbupdcpaq.jpg
    Currently the back wall corners look like the photo. The room sounds great but I don't like the look so I moved the larger panel 1 ft towards the center of the wall. Looks better but that little adjustment hurts the imaging.
    So I decided to remove the small panel in the corner and move the larger panel all the way to the corner. To do this I needed to add another eyebolt.
    So I drilled a hole through the wire going to the outside carriage light. Naturally this circuit is on the same breaker as the sound room, utility room and hallway. Nice!
    Now I get to spend seveal hours cutting drywall, finishing drywall and crawling in the attic pulling out the damaged wire/s and replacing them.
    Ye Ha!
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    BTW
    The reason the photo is dark is because there are no lights!
    HA HA HA HA HA HA
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• ALL212
    I've got 2 2x4 panels and 1 2x2 panel left over from a fairly recent creation. I think I'm going to put them on the ceiling. How do you determine placement? These will go roughly above my speakers. Centered over the speakers? Biased to the back? Biased to the front?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • machone
    I put mine at the 1st reflection location. I taped a small mirror on a stick and had my grandson hold up to the ceiling until I could see the speaker from my listening position. I noted the location and used the 2x4 panels.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• ALL212
    Great idea...can you send your grandson over?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • machone
    I asked my wife first but she gave me that - are you insane look :p
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Originally I had planned to have three bass traps across the front wall but I got impatient and installed my new rack first. This blocked access to wall and I decided not to install the center bass trap. I installed it on the back wall and ended up with an asymmetrical arrangement.

Earlier this year I got the Mojo Audio DAC and have been really enjoying it especially at medium volumes. But at higher volumes it's superb imaging suffered. So I asked myself is it equipment or is it the room?

My man cave is a repurposed garage and when I open the garage door the acoustics improve so I kinda knew it was the room and not the equipment.

I decided to move the asymmetric bass trap to the front center and to my surprise the image that had been a little recessed was now in my face but the image was strong and stayed together at reference volumes.

I listened for couple of nights and decided to move the speakers back towards the wall. I moved them 1/4" and the results are great! The image no longer in my face is where I think I should be and the bass is stronger but remains tight.

The imaging is outstanding.

Having fun here...

rjocxsb66vq2.jpg
    tqd8wg2sen58.jpg

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Is that a HO slot car track?
  • machone
    Yep.
    Built it for me and the grandkids.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Thanks Skip
    It is nice to play music at any level without bothering the wife. :D
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    DSkip wrote: »
    That's quite a dog house you've built there. I still really dig your rig and think it might be one of my favorites because of the location.

Without question, the "Garage Rig" of the decade. I love this space, you've done a heck of a job machone, you've got a lot to be proud of!