Soooooo......I did a thing

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    House? More like "Estate"
    Congrats. Lots of work ahead, but it should be well worth it in the long run.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Irish Spring soap is a recommended deer repellent.
    Just thought I'd mention that.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Jstas wrote: »
    Might actually have borrow his expertise. I'll have to buy extra beer and a bar of soap so he can take a bath in the lake. I hope he likes 30 year old Irish Spring. I found most of a used bar in a camping kit from when I was a teenager. Still smells ok. Can't imagine soap goes bad.

Does it?

Whatcha need buddy? I'm in Pottsville PA for a few months.
    I took a bath this morning.

I'm not 100% sure yet. I got lots of odd power runs everywhere, none seem hooked up.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Might actually have borrow his expertise. I'll have to buy extra beer and a bar of soap so he can take a bath in the lake. I hope he likes 30 year old Irish Spring. I found most of a used bar in a camping kit from when I was a teenager. Still smells ok. Can't imagine soap goes bad.

Does it?

I'm not 100% sure yet. I got lots of odd power runs everywhere, none seem hooked up.

Roger that. Hit me with a PM when you get a chance.
  • mhardy6647
    sounds like the place my daughter & son-in-law have here in NH; there was some -- interesting -- wiring to the outbuildings :/

All ameliorated mow (AFAIK).
  • That is a terrific looking place you got yourselves. :)
    Any place is going to have some work, new or old, but ..... wow ! Nice !

Some folks may be wondering, do you have plans on stocking the lake ? I think Catfish Newton may be curious. o:)

Straight up, niiiiiiiice.
    Sal Palooza
  • So funny story @lightman1 will enjoy. My facts may not be 100% accurate, but the outcome sure was.....

We had a case where someone wired 240 from the main house breaker to a chicken coup, then to a outlet located outside where their RV was.... Old RV really busted up and nasty. They knew it wasnt grounded and shouldnt be 240 but didnt care.

Somehow the RV got polarized, and long story short, guy was up drinking late, stepped out of his RV, barefoot and peed on the side of the metal RV.... and POW, completed the circuit and no mas heartbeat...

We even had an engineer take a look to prove it was legit.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Jstas
    edited September 2017
    That is a terrific looking place you got yourselves. :)
    Any place is going to have some work, new or old, but ..... wow ! Nice !

Some folks may be wondering, do you have plans on stocking the lake ? I think Catfish Newton may be curious. o:)

Straight up, niiiiiiiice.

Lake is already stocked. Plus it's been there since 1931. There's other fish in it as well. I've been told that bass, weakfish and perch have been pulled out of it.

Which is odd because I don't believe the weakfish baloney. That's typically a saltwater fish so maybe there's brown trout in there too and someone mistook a brown trout for a weakfish. They do look similar

• lightman1 wrote: »

Does it?

Roger that. Hit me with a PM when you get a chance.

Russ standing in a puddle of pee working on hot wires....Pics or it didn't happen B)
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Congrats John! think you scored on this one.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Nice, will be beautiful after it's all landscaped. On Golden Pond. :)
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Beautiful! Polkfest!!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Holy garages.
    Keep a couple for yourself and turn the rest into small, studio apartments.

Congrats!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mrbiron wrote: »
    Holy garages.
    Keep a couple for yourself and turn the rest into small, audiophile listening rooms, each with different gear for different days.

Fixed it

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    @Jstas I feel so bad for you, I really hate it when I see someone get taken so badly. :disappointed:

BUT being the magnanimous and omnipotent god like kind of guy I am I'm willing to take it of your hands for a couple thousand dollars (no more than 5), but only after you have fixed it all up and made it fully wheelchair accessible. >:)

All kidding aside, It looks like you found a little piece of heaven! good for you. Hope you and yours have a great life there. :smiley:

If I found & could afford a place like that my relatives (the scum sucking POS they are) would have to fight over it after I was dead and flushed.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Irish Spring soap is a recommended deer repellent.
    Just thought I'd mention that.

If that's true it explains a lot. My luck sitting in blinds waiting for a white tail stud to come by is like 0-250. I practiced no smelly stuff but have been an Irish Spring guy forever. My dam brother could go bow hunting and stab deer as they walked by.

To the OP, this property looks like heaven to me so long as I had a riding mower to keep the grass and weeds down. And maybe a small John Deer dozer to push dirt around. Build up a Kawasaki KLX-110 pit bike to get around on. Dynamite the pond to kill anything living in it. And make sure UPS can and will get to the house.
  • mhardy6647
    Not a small John Deere -- a big (-ish) Kubota.
    Trust me on this one ;)

7mrtlx68vi77.jpg
  • Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Had an uncle that bought some land down by lake Whitney and was using something about that size to clear the land. Dummy rolled it and squished himself. Took about a week before he was found.
  • mhardy6647
    It's my son-in-law's... but we have an... agreement :)

The funny thing about tractors (and I am saying this for the OP's benefit), you can get more tractor for less (or the same) money as the "gentleman farmer" tractors... That 48 HP tractor cost the same as the 29 HP "LX" series (or is it "L" series?), but it's much more capable.

Used ones don't save much money either; the resale value (at least up here) is phenomenal. Kubota's got 7 year, 0% APR financing on new ones, too.

• A house? No...that's a compound! Looks fantastic. Congratulations!
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Doc are you cutting in your own nature walks for you and the family????

Looks like fun actually
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Congrats John! That's a fabulous looking house and property! WOW! Good luck with the new crib!
    Carl

• Nice looking place. Congrats
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Doc are you cutting in your own nature walks for you and the family????

Looks like fun actually

Yes -- well, that's what my son-in-law's doin' at their place. They have about 85 acres, mostly wooded -- about a half-hour from us.

Yes it is great fun, and easier (and faster) than chainsawing and machete-ing!

Son-in-law & I were spotting for each other; he was (is I guess?) an Eagle Scout, and he is very safety conscious.

... and you'll note that the rollover protection is "up"! You can't see it, but I am wearing the seat belt, too!
  • Great looking place John! If the dam on your property is located toward the entrance, or you have to drive over the creek/spring to exit, make sure to park a car on the far side during a large rain event. I've seen relatives get trapped on their own property by not thinking about this.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Jstas
    I don't need a small John Deere or even a big Kubota. The property is only 3.25 acres. The lawn tractor I have now will work fine. I might need a small backhoe to help with clearing the shore line of the lake and removing stumps but anything bigger I don't need nor do I want to spend the money on. An ATV like a John Deere Gator or a Polaris 2-seater would serve me better on the property than a way too big tractor.

I'm not dynamiting anything. I want things living in the lake otherwise it will just turn into a festering cesspool of a mosquito factory. Living things keep the lake healthy. If there is anything I have to kill in the lake it's water lilies.

The house and property are on a major road. It's not back in the woods anywhere remote. I have regular trash collection, mail delivery and the house is on county provided utilities for everything except water which is a well.

Also, good point @Dennis Gardner but luckily, the dam is at the other end of the property and doesn't cut off access. Besides, the lake is small enough that if it came to that, I could walk around it. The stream that feeds it is also quite small as it's the headwaters for a fairly large river in South Jersey.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Everyone needs a small John Deere and a big Kubota ;)

Nice property! Love the pond/dam.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2017
    As a nearly pointless aside, up here in New England (most states up here, at least) define a pond as up to 10 acres. Larger bodies of water are legally great ponds. The legal issue is fairly profound; great ponds must by law (unless they are reserviors) be open for public access (boating and fishing). This causes some thorny issues in our old town (Harvard, MA). Harvard has, in its center, a 330 acre great pond (Bare Hill Pond). By state law, public access was permitted -- and, technically, it was -- but there was essentially no place to park or launch a boat that wasn't private property or town property. The latter required an annual beach permit (or a daily fee) to access. There was ongoing tension between town & state about that :/ (probably still is)

The "Great Pond" laws apparently date back to fairly ancient British law.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    That place is just begging for a 2-day Polkfest. OK, maybe 3, but let's not get ahead of ourselves... so when is it again?

Seriously, find a couple of classic car guys and rent out some garage space over the winter. We did that years ago and picked up $300 for 4 months of doing nothing, and that was for one car.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/