Comments

• Thanks for all the kind words guys.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    afterburnt wrote: »
    more on.
    I hope this was intentional. :o
  • @Realistic

I blame you for making me purchase a Equalizer to run from my Denons REC OUT lol...

Literally tonight you started this sickness with me :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • you can get new R2R tapes for $450 a pop at acoustic sounds...
  • EndersShadow I am happy I could help LOL. What did you buy? Post a picture when you get it.
  • Yup I know all about those tapes, no way man.
  • Rednedtugent would the monitor 7s pair up well with my set up?
  • EndersShadow take two aspirin for the sickness and call me in the morning, LOL.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Viking64 wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    more on.
    I hope this was intentional. :o

Don't pay attention to him, that guys a but whole.
  • Can't think of why they wouldn't. If you get some w/ the peerless tweeter you might not even want to go the upgrade route to the Polk RDO replacements.
    They are wide. Space may be an issue. 7's are good all-rounders.
    Realistic wrote: »
    Rednedtugent would the monitor 7s pair up well with my set up?

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2017
    EndersShadow I am happy I could help LOL. What did you buy? Post a picture when you get it.

I'm either picking up this baby off CL, Pioneer GR-777

bbf02483a6a4.jpg

Or this one BDR EQ-3000 .... (more likely this one as its from a buddy and 1/4 the cost of the CL one)..

bsrEQ3K.jpg

I'm gonna turn it on only for the girls when we are jamming out :smile:

@mhardy6647

You got anything like these in your "vintage storage facility"?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • I also found these interesting kits that would work just fine.

Kit 1

Kit 2

Kit 3
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I would love to have one of those spectrum analyzers in blue with stereo 32 bands in blue LED. I used to love watching them dance to the music as a teen.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Hi guys its been some time since I have been here but I have been working on building a modest system. I would like to thank Todd and Ken for all there help and for there new found friendship. I was able to barter off old gear and with some cash I have reached a pretty good point thus far. I would also like to say that anyone on the fence about jumping into the reel to reel game, do it the sound is fantastic, well to me anyway. I hope you all enjoy the pictures. From top to bottom Pioneer PL-560, Pioneer DT-500, PIONEER SA-9500II amp, Pioneer TX-9500II Tuner, Sony CDP-XE500, Pioneer SG-750, Pioneer RG-2, Pioneer SR-303, Pioneer CT-F900, and to the left of the rack is a Pioneer 1020L.mew0q69w8gr8.jpg
    f64bwqq2rk3o.jpg
    u1z4psx72rwr.jpg
    Modest??? Wow!!! That's a winner...!!

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2017
    msg wrote: »
    Re: R2R, do you buy old tapes for that sort of thing, or make your own?

How's the fidelity? I have zero experience. Didn't people used to buy records, record them to tape and then put the records away, listening only to the tape copy?

Oh, do you need another expensive rabbit hole?
    The fidelity can be superb -- remember for a long, long (long) time, virtually all all records were mastered from tapes.

16151700256_6657fda6fe_b.jpgOtari MX5050 010215 2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

http://www.tapeproject.com

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    Re: R2R, do you buy old tapes for that sort of thing, or make your own?

How's the fidelity? I have zero experience. Didn't people used to buy records, record them to tape and then put the records away, listening only to the tape copy?

The fidelity can be superb -- remember for a long, long (long) time, virtually all all records were mastered from tapes.

16151700256_6657fda6fe_b.jpgOtari MX5050 010215 2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The MX-5050 is exactly what I'm looking to add. Just trying to secure tapes.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • EndersShadow I wish I did , it took forever to locate the one I have. Those kits you linked me to are pretty cool, I have also seen bigger models on ebay that the girls would really be able to jam out too. Post a picture of whatever you grab in action, please.
  • Todd did your dad get his RTR? Buying new pre recorded tape is not a option for me, half the fun of owning a RTR for me is making my own tape mix or putting complete albums on tape its a good time and I enjoy the sound it reproduces over a cd.
  • Msg do you have anyone near you with a RTR ? If so go give it a listen I don't think you will be disappointed in the sq.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ahhhh, jeez.
    Short answer? No. No I do not.
    dare I click?
    (too late)
    I disabled signatures.
  • I just picked up 15 7inch reels for 20.00, sony, scotch, radio shack, audio tape, and one branded irish. I am going to give them all a spin tomorrow and see whats been recorded onto them, one was recorded in 1963.
  • Thanks again for all the kind comments on my system.
  • Msg, people sure did record there LPs to tape to preserve and protect the records, I have new and used records that I have already put on tape.
  • I'm either picking up this baby off CL, Pioneer GR-777

bbf02483a6a4.jpg

Or this one BDR EQ-3000 .... (more likely this one as its from a buddy and 1/4 the cost of the CL one)..

bsrEQ3K.jpg

@mhardy6647

You got anything like these in your "vintage storage facility"?

@mhardy6647 ... did you happen to see this? Figured you might have something in that massive warehouse of audio finds of yours lol....

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Msg do you have anyone near you with a RTR ? If so go give it a listen I don't think you will be disappointed in the sq.
    Nah man, I don't know anyone locally with one. My parents had one when we were really young, but something went wrong with it and I can only remember seeing it used a couple of times. I'm a bit intrigued, though. I like these analog media formats that involve a bit of ritual. I'm also just realizing as I write that people probably enjoy the benefit of recording records to tape because they didn't have to mess with cleaning the records all the time!

I'm going to see if my Dad still has any of the old tapes around. Doubt it, though.
    Just remembered using his 8-tracks for building blocks when I was around 4 or so... Made good garages for my diecast cars.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    mew0q69w8gr8.jpg
    f64bwqq2rk3o.jpg
    u1z4psx72rwr.jpg

Bob, that is one seriously sweet setup you've got there. Congrats man & thanks for sharing the pics!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I had a R2R up to the mid 70s, a Sony. I agree it sounded it great, but sucked even worse than a turn table for randomly selecting a song. Even with tapes of "favorite songs" I would want to skip and select, and get P.O.ed how hard it was to get to a song start. LOL
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    A few years ago I looked around for a RTR, I wanted to do a complete vintage system and already had a couple of Pioneer and Marantz amps and receivers, but, the cost kind of kept me away. That, and the thought that I don't know the first thing about them as far as repairs are concerned. I like your set up and it's got me thinking again.
  • Appropriate movie trailer for this thread:

Blast from the Past (1999) Official Trailer - Alicia Silverstone Movie

https://youtu.be/9_mi3qoA_QY
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA