BBUBBA
BBUBBA Posts: 66
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
anyone using or have listened to B+K AVR-307
or there separates reference amp 7270
reference pre-amp 30 ?
say comparing it to Denon AVR 5803
onkyo TXDS-989
MARANTZ SR 9200, MM9000,AV-9000, MA-6100(MONOBLOCKS)
PIONEER ELITE VSX-49TX:)
Post edited by BBUBBA on

Comments

• dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited April 2002
    The B&K stuff is a cut above the other products you mention
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • BBUBBA
    edited April 2002
    Thanks dean!!

Question. what about the Class AB amp design they use MOSFET I have heard they crank out the power but also run extremely hot , could in the long run take out output transistors and more
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    I will have to agree with Dean on this one( but i'm happy about that)B&K it a cut above the rest.Not in feature's but in pure sound quality.
    The Avr307 is still in my opinion the best receiver on the market(at least untill the new avr507 is released this fall).
    As far as there seperates, they just get better,They don't care what load you put on them, they will drive the most demanding speaker's.Even Martin Logan's with ease.
    I'm a really big fan of there product's, I have been to the factory for factory training.
    They build everything by hand.They don't pump out product like the Japanese do.About 30 to 50 total a day.
    They even but together there own circuit board's I was very impressed with the hole plant.Training with a step above the rest as well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • BBUBBA
    edited April 2002
    I didn't like the way B+K listed there specs 200watts into 8 ohms @ 1khz . with .09% THD

the way I figure the FTC specs should be close to 160watts into 8 ohms 20hz-20khz @ .9% THD or the same but all channels driven at closer to 1%THD which is still great ,but why do they play spec games? The design of the amp is what makes it sound so good. :o
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    spec'sare spec's,
    It's one hell of an amp.Go try it out ,I think the spec's won't bother you anymore.
    Spec games are for marketing hype, a game everybody feel's they must play.I wish it would end.Life would be so much nicer and less confusing
    Dan
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    and with the 7270 i have found it on line new for about 2200 withch is a good buck per watt that is what i want to get next the 7270 and te ref 30
  • gmg
    gmg Posts: 22
    edited April 2002
    I'm a big fan of B&K. I have the Ref 30, a 7250 for the surrounds and center and the 2220 for the mains. My amps don't seem to run hot at all. I think they play smooth with the music I listen to. Four Play, Lee Ritenhour and Yes. Dating myself on that one. The Ref 30 dosen't have all the modes like my receivers, Onkyo 787 for example, did. But I don't miss them at all. The 2220 sounds very sweet with my RT55i's. and the bass is fast and tight. The 7250 has more than enough juice to run the rest. I'd try and listen to some Polks hooked up to a B&K. It is kinda a laid back sound to me. Not really in your face. Gordo
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Thats because you used Onkyo in the past,very bright,extremely bright,you now own pure clean power to drive you speaker's.Awesome setup The new peramp will be out in the fall.Keep your ear to the ground.
    Dan
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    I had a chance to hear a genelec system on a B&K amp and processor, and holy crap was it great! I almost wet myself listening to DTS Jurassic Park (T-rex scene). The rain was so enveloping and real.
  • BBUBBA
    edited April 2002
    I did some research. The amp design in the B+K is a cool runner .it's the pure class A amp design using MOSFET that run hotter then hell. Mantis do you know what the new preamp will be offering?