Parasound 2250 v2 or Adcom GFA-555 II Carver TFM-45

CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,521
edited July 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
I could sell the parasound and buy a
Adcom 555 and have money left over to recap my 12b. The Parasound now runs my rta12b and my sda srs 2 . Im not super thrilled with the sound from the Parasound. (Just me)

The Parasound is on Ebay now. And there are a lot of Adcom 555 mkiis for sale.

Ive seen a few Carver TFM-45 and the M4.0T. The6 cost more and would not leave me as much to spend on the caps for the rta12b.

I prefer a dark /warmer sounding amp. I dont get that from the parasound.

Does anyone have experiance with them?
I do 50/50 HT and music in 2.0.
Thank

Parasound 2250 v2 or Adcom GFA-555 II Carver TFM-45 31 votes

Parasound 2250 v.2
54%
vmaxerdragon1952Willowgeorge danielkevhed72UpstatemaxerniejadeEndersShadowsgtmick63vcwatkinschumlieZLTFUL[Deleted User]D'privedafterburntmlistens03tjw141 17 votes
Adcom GFA-555 mk II
12%
stretchlLegenderNoavgjoehiheidi 4 votes
Carver TFM-45 Silver Seven Transfer functuoned
32%
MrBuhlhonestaquarianmotorstereotreitz3nooshinjohnpitdogg2audiobillyRobbyKYkwarren122audioluvr 10 votes

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Cool, a poll.

I vote none of the above.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I'm plus one with F1
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    The memes say so
  • CH46E
    F1nut wrote: »
    Cool, a poll.

I vote none of the above.

Well my budget for a new apm is $700. While you said non of then, do you have any recomdatio s for that price range?

Any are Polls frowned upon here for some reason?
  • CH46E
    Well, i leaning towards tb Adcom.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    There are some nice amps for sale right here if you can expand your budget.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I own a TFM45. Unless the amp you're looking at has been recapped and completely gone through in the last couple of years you can add 500.00 to what ever price you're paying for it. This is fact and not just "well it should be done" . The icing on the cake is IF someone has been inside and did work it could be more. Many get inside and cause more trouble than its worth.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I like Parasound but I do not like the sound of the Classic line. To me it is to sterile and on the bright side. Never was an Adcom fan so I will leave it @ that. Dogg gave you the best advice on the TFM45.

The HCA series of Parasound are affordable and very good @ what they do. Although these are starting to get long in the tooth age wise, recapping won't break the bank when the time comes. In fact I have a HCA-1500 that still runs as new and is all original.

Or just save up your money and move up the chain. It will be much cheaper in the long run.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    The Carver M4.0t is reputed as one of the best sounding amps within the lineup of standard Carver amps and I personally prefer the M4.0t to the TFM-45, even though the TFM-45 was emulated to sound like the famed Silver Seven tube amps. The M4.0t simply sounds better to these ears and presents a well balanced, pleasant to the ears sonic signature. Adcom amps are not what you would consider warm (read bright) and you already stated that you do not prefer the sound of the Parasound amp you have.

Out of the choices you presented? I would choose the Carver M4.0t.

With your price range, I would try to find a Musical Fidelity A3cr and call it a day.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^the Carver expert.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited July 2017
    ^^the Carver expert.

Agreed. Tom sleeps with a miss Sonic Holography blow up doll every night and his bed points to Lynwood Washington.... :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audiobilly
    audiobilly Posts: 351
    Carver
    Hard to beat for the money. Sound better than Adcom. No experience with the Parasound, maybe someday.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Parasound 2250 v.2
    To continue down the "Carver" road, you'd really need to make sure it has been, or will be recapped given its age.

Personally I'd stick w Parasound over it, which is more of a personal preference as I've owned a fully modded M1.0t MKII, Carver AV-705x, as well as Parasound HCA-1000 and 1200ii.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    treitz3 wrote: »
    The Carver M4.0t is reputed as one of the best sounding amps within the lineup of standard Carver amps and I personally prefer the M4.0t to the TFM-45, even though the TFM-45 was emulated to sound like the famed Silver Seven tube amps. The M4.0t simply sounds better to these ears and presents a well balanced, pleasant to the ears sonic signature. Adcom amps are not what you would consider warm (read bright) and you already stated that you do not prefer the sound of the Parasound amp you have.

With your price range, I would try to find a Musical Fidelity A3cr and call it a day.

Tom

Tom I'd like to know how they are different? It has always been my understanding they are the same inside. 4.0t was a anthracite gray in color and the TFM as well all know was Black. I might be mistaken but I was sure Roland had told me they were internally the same creature. Were they voiced differently?
  • F1nut
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you want dark go B&K.

That's not dark, that's musical.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I own a TFM45. Unless the amp you're looking at has been recapped and completely gone through in the last couple of years you can add 500.00 to what ever price you're paying for it. This is fact and not just "well it should be done" . The icing on the cake is IF someone has been inside and did work it could be more. Many get inside and cause more trouble than its worth.

I can recap and fully calibrate a TFM45/42/M4.0t for about $250 + shipping. I use a bank of smaller capacitors for the main filter caps, as they are virtually extinct now, and any NOS specimens are almost half way through their usable life, before they are ever installed in an amp. The smaller bank of capacitors is superior in performance, with a much lower ESR, and the cost is significantly less.

I would personally go with an M500t, in the mkII configuration - especially if you like a warmer, more musical sound. The 500t is widely considered the most musical of the Carver solid state designs.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    edited July 2017
    daddyjt wrote: »

I can recap and fully calibrate a TFM45/42/M4.0t for about $250 + shipping. I use a bank of smaller capacitors for the main filter caps, as they are virtually extinct now, and any NOS specimens are almost half way through their usable life, before they are ever installed in an amp. The smaller bank of capacitors is superior in performance, with a much lower ESR, and the cost is significantly less.

I would personally go with an M500t, in the mkII configuration - especially if you like a warmer, more musical sound. The 500t is widely considered the most musical of the Carver solid state designs.

That is what Roland at Hi-Tech Audio Ltd. did was a bank of Panasonics IIRC. Also all electrolytic's were replaced and bypassed with good quality film caps. All was approved by the man himself Bob Carver. Once again IIRC Roland stated that with the bank of smaller caps he did the amp had more capacitance that the original HUGE caps. I believe both my TFM45/25 both had superior sound than when new from the factory not once have I regretted spending the money. Roland also did all the output transistors with new heat goop and made sure they were all up to spec and replaced those that were not.

This by no means is a slap at you. That sounds like a great deal.

Between my shipping to and from it was close to the amount I stated. So at about 10yrs ago I felt I wasn't far from reality to cost.

The only problem with the 500T is it is not common ground and cannot be used with SDA's if that is your cup of tea.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    daddyjt wrote: »

That is what Roland at Hi-Tech Audio Ltd. did was a bank of Panasonics IIRC. Also all electrolytic's were replaced and bypassed with good quality film caps. All was approved by the man himself Bob Carver. Once again IIRC Roland stated that with the bank of smaller caps he did the amp had more capacitance that the original HUGE caps. I believe both my TFM45/25 both had superior sound than when new from the factory not once have I regretted spending the money. Roland also did all the output transistors with new heat goop and made sure they were all up to spec and replaced those that were not.

This by no means is a slap at you. That sounds like a great deal.

Between my shipping to and from it was close to the amount I stated. So at about 10yrs ago I felt I wasn't far from reality to cost.

The only problem with the 500T is it is not common ground and cannot be used with SDA's if that is your cup of tea.

No slap intended on my part either...;-) I am a hobbyist, and I work at my own pace, as a form of therapy. I don't really change a whole lot more than just what the parts cost, as it's not a business for me - I just enjoy working on electronics, and have gotten deeper and deeper into the hobby, with a fully equipped bench now. I have gotten to know Bob's designs pretty well (They ARE dramatically different than what most electronics repair people are accustomed to working on, to your point), and they are actually pretty interesting to work on...

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• CH46E
    Wow, thanks for all the responces. Skip, you hit it on the head. My main focus is the RTA12B. I just like them better than the srs. Plus my room size os a factor for the srs.

Im suprised at the acceptance of the Carver. Also from what i remember as pitdog said, i dont think there is any major diff betweeen the 4.0t and tfm45. Both are function calibrated off the Silver Seven. At least that is what i understood.

Someone stated the Parasound sounded sterile. I agree but did not know what word to descibe it. It just does not effect me like the sound of other amps ive heard. Some make the hair stand up on the back on my neck and some dont. When i first got my NAD 906 hooked up it sounded absolutley phenominal to me. I loved it.

I will keep an eye out on the TFM 45s and the M4.0t. Id rather have the 45. As childish as it soulds i love the VU meters. Lol. If i can find one that needs a repair for the right price i may just go for it and send it to The Carver Site guys for a full upgrade. I think the charge for the 45 is $365 or so.

I have like the sound of B&K in tha past so thats another option. Was also looking at sone Acurus amps.

Thanks again for the info guys.

Fyi my Parasound is on the bay right now. I think 2 days left. Hope it sells.
  • CH46E
  • F1nut
    Both are function calibrated off the Silver Seven.

Biggest joke in audio. None of the Carver SS amps sound anywhere close to the Silver Seven tube amps.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you want dark go B&K.

That's not dark, that's musical.

The top end rolls off. It would be a good match for the rta12 IMO. Better than the other two options.

I'd describe the top end as natural as opposed to many amps with a hyper detailed top end that far too many think sounds like real music does.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited July 2017

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Here is a link to a NuForce amp that has gotten some pretty good reviews. They are closing it out and the price for new is great. I have no affiliation with this and have no experience with this amp.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NUSTA200

Here is a link to TAS review:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/optoma-nuforce-sta200-power-amplifier/
  • CH46E
    My concearn witg the Nuforce is tge 80 watts per rating. While i know 80 watts can be loud but i dont thinknloud enough for me. I do like to play at or near the speakers limit. I like very loud sometimes. Thats the reason i dont use the 90 bridged NAD 906. Plus i cant use it on the sda.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

Tom I'd like to know how they are different? It has always been my understanding they are the same inside. 4.0t was a anthracite gray in color and the TFM as well all know was Black. I might be mistaken but I was sure Roland had told me they were internally the same creature. Were they voiced differently?

Hi pitdogg2. The TFM 5 series were all emulated to sound like the Silver Seven tube amps (15, 25, 35, 45, 55, 75) and Jesse is 100% correct. They may have been made to emulate the tube amps but the differences between the actual Silver Sevens and the TFM 5 series are vast.

It has always been my understanding that the M4.0t and the TFM-42 with the weird strobe lights in the front were emulated to sound like another amp that escapes me at the moment.

The M1.0 was emulated to sound like Bob wanted and the M1.0t to emulate the sound of the Conrad Johnson Premier 5 after winning the famous Carver challenge against Stereophile magazine and their "Golden Ears" many moons ago in a hotel room over the course of three or 4 days.

FWIW, the M1.0t is the least favorite amp of mine (and many other share this observation) unless you are using it to power a sub or something. The linear frequency curve and sonic signature is.....um, shall we say, bright. Yes, we will call it bright.

With that said, my two favorite sonic signatures and overall sound characteristics within the mainstream Carver amps are the M-500t and the M4.0t. My favorite rare Carver amps are the Silver 7's and the Silver 9 tube amps that still get critical acclaim after all these years.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 2017
    Yea i have had the pleasure of hearing the tubes back in the day. Their finesse has to be experienced and i agree vast differences in signatures. I was always under the impression that the tfm 22/42 were exactly the same as 25/45 but l.e.d. instead of vu meters. I always wanted a set of the silver 7 or 9 monoblocs those are beasts. With SDA's they would not be a go from my understanding.
    Yea it would be nice to experience the world of carverfest i do not ever see it in my future however.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    No experience with the 2250 but I did have a couple Adcom 555's and a tfm45. The Carver easily bested the Adcoms on my 2.3's. As was mentioned you can do much better than either of those amps but they will get you by. The Adcoms also do not have dc protection if that's a concern
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Parasound 2250 v.2
    I had that version of the Adcom 555....much better suited for HT than music IMO
  • treitz3
    Here is a setup we had at Carverfest a few number of years ago. Some of the most rare of Carver gear is seen in this picture. The preamp was one of only one ever made. You see the famed Silver 7's and Silver 9's in this photo and custom speakers built by James Sauter. This system literally shook the ground I was standing on (gravel driveway) 40 feet away from the system.

DSC01953.jpg

Tom