I want to try a decent (inexpensive) USB cable for a portable HD

2»

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    vcwatkins was there really much difference between the Forrest and the Freebies? Since you ranked it so low I probably won't hear much of a difference. Plus It will spend most of its time on the Oppo and occasionally on the Auralic Mini it is probably better to squeeze out a lot more nickels and go with Wireworld but they one have one USB 3.0 option

https://store.wireworldcable.com/collections/usb-audio-cables/products/starlight-7-usb-3-0-audio-cables?variant=950479731
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Well, my first one to try was the Wireworld UV. BIG improvement over the freebies. Couldn't believe it. Slowly moved up (or sideways) after that. Probably should have skipped a few of those steps. Live and learn...

I really like the WW Starlight Red. It's what I use for USB 2.0 A-MiniB from PC to Meridian Explorer2 DAC for MQA testing. Good value IMO, especially used. @DSkip might have a good deal on a 3.0.

I never tried AQ Forest then switched back to cheapie, so not much help there. Also, these are all 2.0 between player and DAC (except for one phono pre ADC to PC).
    If I get a chance this weekend, I'll try one between a USB HD and PC. You've got me wondering if it might help.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • afterburnt
    Thanks for the advice from all of yooz, I am gonna hold off and get it together for the Wireworld. I am hoping to squeeze a little more out of the Oppo since it is in the system that I use the most if not I will use it with the other system.

On a side note: A word to the wise, always buy cheap crap and be disappointed I could possibly slow you down. Get good stuff and all you want is more.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice from all of yooz, I am gonna hold off and get it together for the Wireworld. I am hoping to squeeze a little more out of the Oppo since it is in the system that I use the most if not I will use it with the other system.

On a side note: A word to the wise, always buy cheap crap and be disappointed I could possibly slow you down. Get good stuff and all you want is more.

Easier, don't post questions, forum members like to spend other peoples money :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    I got an Audioquest - Forest USB 3.0 and it is has made an improvement. Maybe it's the silver?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    LOL...

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Absolute_Zero
    Absolute_Zero Posts: 72
    edited July 2017
    I haven't had any spendy USB 3 cables. but with a Silicon Image SSD and a Belkin $14 USB 3.1 I'm maxing out a 24GB .vhdx transfer at 325MB/s. So I'm hitting the limit of my SSD.

• afterburnt
    Hey folks I'm talking audio not data.
  • afterburnt wrote: »
    Hey folks I'm talking audio not data.

"I want to try a decent (inexpensive) USB cable for a portable HD"

Boy, how did I ever get that wrong.
  • afterburnt
    @Absolute_Zero I should be more clear with my post however typing is not my forte. You see I have no arms or legs but I do play a mean third base.