Karma giveaway from Polk Audio

123457»

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I shipped a pair of Klipsch RB-5s to RI via UPS. Packed as well, if not better than when they came from Colorado with no damage. They were trashed and the buyer sent me pics. Bass drivers had seperated from cabs, but horns were ok. Ended up giving about 75% of his money back. They had to have been thrown around and dropped numerous times. Filed a claim, but was denied. Im done with UPS and shipping in general.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited July 2017
    Be sure to inspect the packaging before trusting the gorillas at Fed EX...

Congrats Conradicles!
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I'd like to say I'm shocked, but after some recent posts, I'm not. What a shame.

I called that one way back in this thread... THAT sucks, and even though this was a Karma. I think someone in their shipping department needs to be fired over not being able to properly pack items for shipment.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222

I called that one way back in this thread... THAT sucks, and even though this was a Karma. I think someone in their shipping department needs to be fired over not being able to properly pack items for shipment.

[/quote]

Packing could have been superb. There are people at the shipping company's that seem to be paid to "stress test" packaging.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited July 2017
    Before we go all judge, jury, & executioner on the shipping guy, how were they packed, Conradicles? At a minimum, they should have been in a double wall box with at least 2" foam all around.
  • nooshinjohn
    crashb4 wrote: »

Packing could have been superb. There are people at the shipping company's that seem to be paid to "stress test" packaging.[/quote]

They should have been packed with two inch foam all around and in separate boxes. It would appear they went out in a single layer of used bubble wrap and packed back to back in the same box.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    machone wrote: »
    How were they packed?

They should be packed so nothing short of a train wreck can cause damage.

No excuse for this!

That's an understatement.....

I mean.....wtf, really ? If we can all agree shipping delicate items is a bit of a risk these days, then packaging needs to reflect that.....dontcha think ?

Sucks....even though it was a freebie, and generous gesture on Polks part, maybe they can send you out some rtia3's as a consolation gift. Just a suggestion....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Trust me... it's not the shipping department. Just shipped a parasound amp back to them for some work. Double boxed with plenty of padding. Arrived with the heatsink on one corner caved in. Someone along the way dropped it on the corner. This was UPS and it was insured. But still a hassle.
    Sorry that yours arrived so beat up.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited July 2017
    @tonyb

At some point the buck passes to the shipper not the packager..... I'm gonna guess Polk packaged them similar to how they package their other products, which arrive fine, and pass the buck to the shipper with regards to the damage, unless evidence of poor packaging is provided.

Eventually their needs to be SOMETHING done on a NATIONAL level (lawsuit, etc) so that shippers actually have enough of a sting to their pocketbook to incentivize them to care.

Right now they mostly just deny claims and the hassle to file one initially and then fight it is such that its a non starter for most folks.... which results in them not getting hurt in the pocketbook, which means they will never change their ways....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I will post some pictures of the packaging later. No worries here, I am very grateful to win them. I think I can fix some of the damage.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    If they are not what you expected, you should send them back!!! ;)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Plus Dan it is a "National" account they do not want to have dropped. We on the other hand who ship 12 packages a year they could care less if we went somewhere else. You should see them here when it is time for contract renewal they will sell a kid to get our business contract signed.
    @tonyb

At some point the buck passes to the shipper not the packager..... I'm gonna guess Polk packaged them similar to how they package their other products, which arrive fine, and pass the buck to the shipper with regards to the damage, unless evidence of poor packaging is provided.

Eventually their needs to be SOMETHING done on a NATIONAL level (lawsuit, etc) so that shippers actually have enough of a sting to their pocketbook to incentivize them to care.

Right now they mostly just deny claims and the hassle to file one initially and then fight it is such that its a non starter for most folks.... which results in them not getting hurt in the pocketbook, which means they will never change their ways....

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    We on the other hand who ship 12 packages a year they could care less if we went somewhere else. You should see them here when it is time for contract renewal they will sell a kid to get our business contract signed.

Yup, but a fat class action lawsuit against all three would certainly get their attention. Not that I see that ever happening, but if I'm dreaming, why not dream big :smile:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • slopes1967
    slopes1967 Posts: 24
    edited July 2017
    Just got my first pair of vintage polks ever (M10s) and I love them. They'd love some company from their cousins :)

d66e7azpu561.jpg
    isw201kc5kb8.jpg

"Looks like it's bound up, with a tight looseness... Could be worse, could have been a loose tightness..."

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    UPS is the Devil can't even count how many broken Jewel Cases and bent LPs and other stuff delivered with footprints on them. It will get worse with a lot of major retailers pulling the plug and people keep buying stuff online the more business these parcel carriers will get the more parcels they will damage.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Thanks for the PM. All is good no need to rectify. These things happen. I have seen my UPS driver at work walk on packages due to his truck being so full LOL.
  • nooshinjohn
    Thanks for the PM. All is good no need to rectify. These things happen. I have seen my UPS driver at work walk on packages due to his truck being so full LOL.

I watched UPS walk all over the boxes for my Magnepan MG-20's. :s

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    slopes1967 wrote: »
    Just got my first pair of vintage polks ever (M10s) and I love them. They'd love some company from their cousins :)

d66e7azpu561.jpg
    isw201kc5kb8.jpg

Nice set-up. Two suggestions. 1) you should try the Polks without the EQ. I think you'll find you don't need it. 2) you're cooking the Rotel having the TT on top. Try to move it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Thank heavens it was not me that won these, can you imagine....

Dude they've seen enough of your posts. You would of had to drive and pick them up.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Bummer to hear. The funny thing is, there was a time when you could put shock stickers on packages for something like 10% extra over the insurance fee. This was a no questions asked insurance pay out. Now they are extremely expensive with claims that they mess up the automatic package handling and they still make you fight for the claim.

Business shippers are about the only ones that get some break. I know a UPS driver who actually does care, but he's counting the days to early retirement from UPS. Its far from what it used to be. They have become flooded with "fluff" packages from all the online sales from amazon and other volume businesses. The boxes are often mostly air, so all are treated the same and tossed around. If its broke its covered by big companies and big contracts, so no one cares. Packaging requirements have doubled the size of boxes, meaning more trucks and drivers, driving costs up. The work atmosphere is about the bottom line not about quality. No one realizes the cost savings if quality was higher and packaging was smaller. To the executives a quality or specialty shipping division for slightly higher prices is "not profitable" and (lol) the risk is too high even if they charged special shipper pricing. So quality shipping is left to smaller private companies for extremely high prices.
  • That makes me sick. I've seen UPS step and walk on packages that are laying on the floor