First pair of Polk vintage speakers.

Hello, I'm very new and green to Polk vintage speakers. I had been looking for vintage speakers for my vintage vinyl setup. I had inherited a good amount of 1985 Nikko gear from my brother; tuner, EQ, Linear tracking turntable and a dual cassette deck. (I've wanted this gear since I was a teenager in 85, so getting it from him was awesome) The huge 400 watt Nikko amp he had fried years ago, and I ended up finding a nice little 130 watt Rotel to replace it. All I needed was a couple of decent speakers. He had given his speakers away to his kids and they destroyed them. I had an old pair of Technics 2 ways that did the job but of course I knew I wanted something better. I picked up these today for 80 bucks with the original stands they are the Monitor 10a with I think the Peerless tweeters. I've been reading quite a few posts here and it seems like I made the right choice. They sound fantastic to me. And they are in awesome shape overall. My only issue is the tweeter on the right speaker was put back by the previous owner upside down :/ looks easy enough to fix. Take the 4 corner screws off and flip it? I took the 4 screws off and that plate isn't budging. Did they glue that sucker in? I don't want to pry too much and damage the tweeter or the enclosure edge. Any suggestions, or just let it be? It's driving my sense of symmetry bonkers :)

Thanks

i366tcllul6u.png
zzvbqj3us5ka.png
5d1zen5j9r8r.png

"Looks like it's bound up, with a tight looseness... Could be worse, could have been a loose tightness..."

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
Rotel RB-981
Nikko Beta 30
Nikko Gamma 30
Nikko NP 750
Nikko ND 850
Technics SL-D202

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Worst case, you could remove a mid woofer and push the tweeter out from the back.

I thing you got a very good deal BTW.
    With a pair that old though, I'd look into replacing the caps and resistor in the crossovers with fresh parts. You'll hear a noticable improvement.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,352
    edited July 2017
    Yep, you'll have to remove a driver then push the tweeter out from behind. The gasket has excellent adhesive qualities.

Not clear from your post, but lose the EQ if you're using it.

Agreed on the crossover upgrades.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,056
    Leave tweeter as is, put on the grills, and consider it an exercise in self-control. :-)

8k65axl77h5q.jpg

bwzgb6yj53w8.jpg

50jjjmiwwrps.jpg

eml8gw50ybup.jpg
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • slopes1967
    slopes1967 Posts: 24
    edited July 2017
    Thanks guys! The OCD pics were a riot, and the advice was great. I did end up removing a driver and with a some constant pressure the tweeter finally came out. Looks as if the metal plate was oxidizing
    or maybe something was put there as another sealer and it decomposed. It was white and powdery as you can see in the pic. Tweeter is flipped and back in. Hit the contacts with some deoxit beforehand. Balance has returned to the force lol.

Next question: What do you guys do to remove stubborn sticky dust on these cones?

I will probably upgrade the crossovers at some point. Gonna save up a bit and get the good parts. Right now enjoying them as is. When I do it, it will be my first speaker mod, so albeit I'll be a bit nervous about ruining these babys. I actually have a line on a newer pair (possibly 10b units) So I may grab those as well.

Thanks again for your help.

33xem061his1.jpg
    j22deui3pnj3.jpg
    "Looks like it's bound up, with a tight looseness... Could be worse, could have been a loose tightness..."

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,352
    Original Windex sprayed on a soft cotton cloth. Wipe in a circular motion.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• slopes1967
    F1nut wrote: »
    Original Windex sprayed on a soft cotton cloth. Wipe in a circular motion.

Thank you sir.

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    At least the tweeter is just upside down, I have seen 2 pairs of early m10s with RD0-194s on craigslist lately...smh.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • slopes1967
    edited July 2017
    At least the tweeter is just upside down, I have seen 2 pairs of early m10s with RD0-194s on craigslist lately...smh.

When these popped up on the LetGo app (literally. The guy was still finishing the description of them and the posting still had the generic "Black and brown speakers" by LetGo) I answered him right away, knowing absolutely zero about these speakers. In between messages with him I did a little research and came upon here and figured out that they were peerless tweeters and that was a good thing. I wasted no time driving the 30 minutes to get them. He was asking $100 but I got them for 80 bucks with what appears to be original stands (not sure they do have that slight angle to them and are black) I'm very happy with them and glad they are in an original configuration. The label on the back of the driver I removed to get to the tweeter was dated 05/31/79 :) Ahh to be 12 again...

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    slopes1967 wrote: »

When these popped up on the LetGo app (literally. The guy was still finishing the description of them and the posting still had the generic "Black and brown speakers" by LetGo) I answered him right away, knowing absolutely zero about these speakers. In between messages with him I did a little research and came upon here and figured out that they were peerless tweeters and that was a good thing. I wasted no time driving the 30 minutes to get them. He was asking $100 but I got them for 80 bucks with what appears to be original stands (not sure they do have that slight angle to them and are black) I'm very happy with them and glad they are in an original configuration. The label on the back of the driver I removed to get to the tweeter was dated 05/31/79 :) Ahh to be 12 again...

Good deal there! I always enjoyed my experiences with the Monitor line of old. I have had two pairs of Monitor 5s, one with the SL2000s the other with the SL2500s. I got both for a combined $60, haven't used them since I got the SDAs though but miss them sometimes.

Enjoy your M10s they are good speakers.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,166
    I'm guessing you live in Colorado?? I almost picked those up, the other set of 10's he has looks to be in good condition as well..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,281
    Next question: What do you guys do to remove stubborn sticky dust on these cones?

The cone will clean up nice BUT they will still be tacky/shiny do not try and scrub until you remove it. they are meant to be that way.
    you will be amazed at the amount of dirt that will come off keep rag moist as it will try and grab as the original Windex dries.

just an FYI
  • slopes1967
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you live in Colorado?? I almost picked those up, the other set of 10's he has looks to be in good condition as well..

Actually I'm in Massachusetts :)

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• slopes1967
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

The cone will clean up nice BUT they will still be tacky/shiny do not try and scrub until you remove it. they are meant to be that way.
    you will be amazed at the amount of dirt that will come off keep rag moist as it will try and grab as the original Windex dries.

just an FYI

Good to know! I knew that they are supposed to have some tack to them, but just wondered how you guys dealt with it. Slow and steady wins the race. These had been in his living room closet for years. He took them out of service sometime back in the early 2000's when he bought a whole new sick system from Tweeter Etc. when they were going out of business.

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• slopes1967

Good deal there! I always enjoyed my experiences with the Monitor line of old. I have had two pairs of Monitor 5s, one with the SL2000s the other with the SL2500s. I got both for a combined $60, haven't used them since I got the SDAs though but miss them sometimes.

Enjoy your M10s they are good speakers.

Thanks, I'm thrilled with them :)

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,166

Ha, there was seriously a set just like that for sale here last week..
  • slopes1967

Ha, there was seriously a set just like that for sale here last week..

Maybe there's some unseen force that compels owners to let go of their speakers at the same time :)

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    You'll want to use a lint free, micro fiber cloth. Keep the cone wet with Windex, and keep turning the cloth until it comes clean. I usually use Fantastic or 409 on the rubber surrounds first, to get the brown oxidation off, then do a final clean wipe with Windex. As mentioned, they will be tacky when dry.
    BTW, Welcome to CP. what part of MA?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • slopes1967
    You'll want to use a lint free, micro fiber cloth. Keep the cone wet with Windex, and keep turning the cloth until it comes clean. I usually use Fantastic or 409 on the rubber surrounds first, to get the brown oxidation off, then do a final clean wipe with Windex. As mentioned, they will be tacky when dry.

Gotcha, and thanks for the welcome! Yeah theres a lot a of brown going on, on the surrounds and the cones somewhat themselves. I started cleaning them tonight.

I am located in the South Coast, RI Line, Swansea.

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• westmassguy

Gotcha, and thanks for the welcome! Yeah theres a lot a of brown going on, on the surrounds and the cones somewhat themselves. I started cleaning them tonight.

Cool. I'm on the other side of the Commonwealth, we don't talk funny out here :smiley:

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • slopes1967

Cool. I'm on the other side of the Commonwealth, we don't talk funny out here :smiley:

I know you guys don't. Isn't that weird. I'm close to RI so I have a mix of Boston and RI, it's quite something... :)

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Beans!!!!! They're wicked awesome! :D

(Attended Berklee for 3 yrs)

• pitdogg2
    Dave i have never used fantastic or 409 windex has work fine for me but its good to know there are alternatives.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,895
    edited July 2017
    My first vintage Polks were M10's still have them, good speaker.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Again as said a few times ONLY USE ORIGINAL WINDEX. Not new and improved not w/any other chemicals and it works well. Be careful don't dig into them just wipe and wipe until clean. I had M7s and they needed a cleaning bad but after the treatment they looked new, sort of.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • westmassguy
    Dave i have never used fantastic or 409 windex has work fine for me but its good to know there are alternatives.

Only on the surrounds, and only once. Once you get the brown oxidation off, the Windex will keep them clean. I only use it for the really bad initial cleanup.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2

Only on the surrounds, and only once. Once you get the brown oxidation off, the Windex will keep them clean. I only use it for the really bad initial cleanup.

Got it thanks brah
  • slopes1967
    I'll have to say that the 409 on the surrounds and then the windex on the cones did the trick. They were dirty girls, amazing how much crud came off!

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• slopes1967
    So, I did notice that on the drivers that shiny black tack is only on the upper half of the cone. The lower half appears to have gone away over time. Sun exposure? extra dust and gravity? Or did the previous owner scrub them? all the drivers on both speakers are like that. Still sound ok as far as I can tell

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• westmassguy
    The whole woofer cone should be shinny and tacky.
    The PR on the bottom will not be.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • slopes1967
    The whole woofer cone should be shinny and tacky.
    The PR on the bottom will not be.

Well that sucks Beavis... All three drivers are like this:

vhymxt0gnet4.jpg

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202