The search for the perfect listening chair is over...

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,230
Hello everybody. Just chiming in to say that after an exhaustive search finding a listening chair that was made for me and my body, I have finally found the chair for me. I was in the market for a chair that had a low back, was comfortable and had a recliner for those longer listening sessions. The prices of the chairs I looked at ranged from $600 to over 3K. The issue I kept having was two fold. Either the chair was simply uncomfortable, too wide or (most common) when you put the leg rest in the up position, there was a pressure point that dug into one part of your heel, subcalcaneal tendon or your calcaneal tendon. This is the main issue I have with my current listening chair.

I went through hundreds of chairs that some or all all of these issues were present and after a time, I stopped looking at cost. I just concentrated on fit.

Well, today I stumbled across a chair that was right up my alley. The leg rest on this one supports the lower leg very comfortably over a span of about a foot and with plenty of cushion to help distribute the weight. Simply put, it was heavenly to lift up the legs and have this chair support them. No pressure points whatsover and you didn't have to readjust your body toward the front or back of the chair to experience this. I tested it out about 15 times and all 15 times I sat down, whether I was forward, tucked way back, off to one side, angled....whatever, it was extremely comfortable each time.

The back is lower than the ears but only by about 4-6 inches and increases when the back goes further back into the reclining position. It is powered and the button is off to the right of the chair in a natural location. In other words, you didn't have to run your hand all over the side of the chair to find it. It's located right where one would expect it to be. Now I will admit, it not the sharpest looking chair out there that I ran across (I do like the looks of the more modern chairs) but I didn't purchase it for looks, I purchased it solely on fit, how comfortable it was and function. Here she is...
11716_01-20?wid=1000&hei=800

It's a Lane "Eureka" power recliner and the color escapes me at the moment. The power function is whisper quiet and I detected no noise at all when reclining while in the store. This may change at home in a quieter atmosphere but it is quiet enough to where I do not think this will be a problem. Finally, after an untold amount of stores, boutiques, consignment stores, high end stores (you name it, I was there) in 3 different states and after sitting in well over 200 chairs, I have found the one for me.

The only thing I wish this chair had was storage in the arms, some outlets within the storage chamber, USB ports and a cup holder. The problem I ran into with all of the chairs that had this was that they were mostly cloth (no go for me) and they were completely uncomfortable or seemingly built for a seven foot tall man that weighed close to 500 lbs. One chair I sat in I swear was close to 3' wide in between the armrests. I had to fall over to one side just to reach the armrest. That made no sense at all and to boot, it was as comfortable as sitting on concrete and the cushion was about 6" too long. Whatever.

My search is over and now I can actually listen in a chair that is fit for me and my body. FYI, cost was not that bad. About 750 with tax.

[UPDATE] I set it up in the listening position and the strangest thing happened as soon as I started playing the same track from the Yellowjackets "Best of" album from last night. The acoustics to what hits the ears have changed. Nothing dramatic but still, a change none the less and clearly (to me) noticeable. Kind of curious as to why this would happen with just a change in a chair but to me, is definitely interesting. Also was pleasantly surprised to hear just a faint hint of the motor when reclining and the stereo turned off. Was even more pleasantly surprised when I found out that this chair is a combination rocker/recliner. I guess I never noticed it was a rocker due to the fact that it was squeezed in to a row of chairs so tight that a gnat would have a hard time getting through the space between the rows of chairs.

It is extremely comfortable (to me).

What do you guys use for a listening chair?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Thanks for the education (that I didn't even know I needed)!! I'm only dealing with couches right now, but that will change eventually. And, I learned some new words... calcaneal and subcalcaneal? I'll know what they mean when I look them up after posting this!
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Tom,

Congrats! Sounds like it was quite a journey. I could not prove it with math or anything, but I do notice a difference in sound when I use a leather chair versus fabric. Maybe it's the reflections, but again, I can't scientifically prove it. Ha

I will be on a search for some listening chairs in my not to distant future. Been looking at some zero gravity ones.

Halen
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    halen wrote: »
    Tom,

Congrats! Sounds like it was quite a journey. I could not prove it with math or anything, but I do notice a difference in sound when I use a leather chair versus fabric. Maybe it's the reflections, but again, I can't scientifically prove it. Ha

I will be on a search for some listening chairs in my not to distant future. Been looking at some zero gravity ones.

Halen

Leather reflects, cloth absorbs.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Hehe....I know, I know.....

Tell you what.....I'll tell myself to shut up! Would that help? LOL

I honestly prefer the reflections in this case Jesse. Go figure. I was always under the impression that reflections were bad. The imaging is crisper and more focused and the impact/feel/tightness of the lower frequencies just got crystal clear......and I had no issues before......just got better.

Never in a million years would I have EVER though a chair could have made a difference in the end result. One day ago, I would have taken a bet that it would NOT have made any difference at all, unless perhaps the back was too tall.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Tom, what the...
    I gave you an Insightful, and the LOL goes here.

Man, with the subject and all that writing, I was expecting some fancy, space age material zero-g something or other, and here you go posting up about some big fat chocolate poofy chair?!? Anticlimactic, man!
    BUT - very cool that you found something you like :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Tom,

What's your setup today? Specifically, speakers. Thanks.
  • treitz3
    Truth be told, I told my wife (who is out of town and is an interior designer) that it reminds me of this guy;

1002569-ghostbusters_stay_puft_marshmallow_man_bank_1.jpg

It ain't the purdyest but man is she comfortable! It's not like I look at it whilst listening anyways....so I'm good.

I do like the look of the other chairs out there, like the zero gravity, stressless, Eames lounge chair along with other ones I looked at. Even my office chair was a contender (seen below). Many issues with all of them but the looks were very nice.....and I did not want an ottoman.

0065629247429_A?$img_size_380x380$

Tom
  • treitz3
    Ron, those look like a Captain's chair on steroids. Very nice sir! I'll make it down there one day.....they look VERY comfortable and extremely luxurious. Looks to be premium leather as well.

Tom
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    F1nut wrote: »
    Tom,

Halen

Leather reflects, cloth absorbs.

Have you double blind tested this???
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Looks to be premium leather as well.

Tom
    You'll gripe about the lack of 1k to 2.2 k not being direct off of the British leather as the subtle nuance refraction of the Tibetian goatskins that bring the vocals to life....... it's a fvckin chair, Tom!
  • msg
    Woh Woh Woh, just what kinda site is this? Leather and being double blinded?
    I disabled signatures.
  • lightman1
    msg wrote: »
    Woh Woh Woh, just what kinda site is this? Leather and being double blinded?

A good one, Scott.....
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    By the way Scott it's tobacco not chocolate
    Jeesh
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Ron, those look like a Captain's chair on steroids. Very nice sir! I'll make it down there one day.....they look VERY comfortable and extremely luxurious. Looks to be premium leather as well.

Tom

They're very cost effective, look at macy's ads, they go on sale every holiday 40-50% off. There are 1/2 dozen styles that slightly differ

Go test them out because it depends how big/tall/short etc you are on how you like them....I drove the salesman ****...he didn't get that I had audiophelia >:):):/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have a leather LAZY-Boy that I picked out after planting my rear in about every chair they had till I found a perfect fit ;)

then I lost 50 lbs :(
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • treitz3
    Tom,

Hi Halen. My main speakers are Tyler Acoustic Signature Series Lynbrook edition, 1 piece in Ribbon Mahogany, completely gutted, rebuilt, refinished with custom built external upgraded crossovers, spiked and w/each shelf on a suspension chassis. See below for subs.

PS - Richard Grey 400Pro Power Supply to -
    CDP - Marantz SA-7S1 Super Audio CDP w/Transparent Reference IC's to Pre -
    Server - Node 2 NAP w/Transparent Gen5 Optical cable to a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC w/ Transparent Reference IC's to Pre-
    TT - Music Hall MMF-5 w/ Goldring 1012Gx cart, "The Clamp", isolation footing, the 25th AE Nitty Gritty DS RCM in Jatoba and smoked cover with the "Shark" and Soniclean steam cleaner to Jolida JD9 MkII tubed phono pre w/ Transparent Reference IC's to Pre -
    PRE - Dodd Audio MLP tubed pre-amplifier with 4ea. Ei 12AX7 Gold Pins, isolation footings w/ custom cord to separate PS and pre. w/ Transparent Reference IC's to -
    AMP - Musical Fidelity A3cr Dual Mono choke regulated SS amplifier w/ Transparent Musicwave Ultra SC's to -
    SPEAKERS - Tyler Acoustics Lynbrook Sig. Series in Ribbon Mahogany, spiked with a custom built and upgraded crossover unit in conjunction to stereo set of Tyler Acoustic custom subs w/Seas 12" woofers, 500w plate amp each, spiked and on Target stands w/ AQ King Cobra 12' IC's coming from the MF AC3r to the subs.

All but the speaker, subs and crossover units are on an Elite stand (model number unknown) and located in a dedicated room in the former MBR of the house. The only things in the room are two plants at the first reflection points, the stereo, the RCM and stand and CD's located to the left of the listening position. All spare parts, tubes, gear, more CD's and a plethora of LP's are located in the walk in closet.

Dual or triple 20 amp dedicated lines and 2ea Rythmik F-25 subs being planned as we speak. Also on the hunt for a mint Musical Fidelity 750w amplifier that is not located in Canada (Customs, duty fees, power of attorney, misc BS charges and shipping are WAY too much). Might have to wait a while for this one...

Forgive me for any mis-prints or wrong information. I am getting old and most of this was all off of memory. Should be correct though. I'll call you if you are available tonight or feel free to call anytime (up to 12:00am)

Tom
  • lightman1
    Sheet fire, Tom....Brag much?
  • txcoastal1
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Sheet fire, Tom....Brag much?

Halen asked a stoopid question ;):p

Before any of you go reporting me...I disclose, I have pictures holding Halen's daughter...he's one of my bro's
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• msg
    Tom,

Hi Halen. My main speakers are Tyler Acoustic Signature Series Lynbrook edition, 1 piece in Ribbon Mahogany, completely gutted, rebuilt, refinished with custom built external upgraded crossovers, spiked and w/each shelf on a suspension chassis. See below for subs.

PS - Richard Grey 400Pro Power Supply to -
    CDP - Marantz SA-7S1 Super Audio CDP w/Transparent Reference IC's to Pre -
    Server - Node 2 NAP w/Transparent Gen5 Optical cable to a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC w/ Transparent Reference IC's to Pre-
    TT - Music Hall MMF-5 w/ Goldring 1012Gx cart, "The Clamp", isolation footing, the 25th AE Nitty Gritty DS RCM in Jatoba and smoked cover with the "Shark" and Soniclean steam cleaner to Jolida JD9 MkII tubed phono pre w/ Transparent Reference IC's to Pre -
    PRE - Dodd Audio MLP tubed pre-amplifier with 4ea. Ei 12AX7 Gold Pins, isolation footings w/ custom cord to separate PS and pre. w/ Transparent Reference IC's to -
    AMP - Musical Fidelity A3cr Dual Mono choke regulated SS amplifier w/ Transparent Musicwave Ultra SC's to -
    SPEAKERS - Tyler Acoustics Lynbrook Sig. Series in Ribbon Mahogany, spiked with a custom built and upgraded crossover unit in conjunction to stereo set of Tyler Acoustic custom subs w/Seas 12" woofers, 500w plate amp each, spiked and on Target stands w/ AQ King Cobra 12' IC's coming from the MF AC3r to the subs.

All but the speaker, subs and crossover units are on an Elite stand (model number unknown) and located in a dedicated room in the former MBR of the house. The only things in the room are two plants at the first reflection points, the stereo, the RCM and stand and CD's located to the left of the listening position. All spare parts, tubes, gear, more CD's and a plethora of LP's are located in the walk in closet.

Dual or triple 20 amp dedicated lines and 2ea Rythmik F-25 subs being planned as we speak. Also on the hunt for a mint Musical Fidelity 750w amplifier that is not located in Canada (Customs, duty fees, power of attorney, misc BS charges and shipping are WAY too much). Might have to wait a while for this one...

Forgive me for any mis-prints or wrong information. I am getting old and most of this was all off of memory. Should be correct though. I'll call you if you are available tonight or feel free to call anytime (up to 12:00am)

Tom

RePORTED.
    For thread derailing.

We were talking about decor, iirc. Where's Fruity Steve, anyway? Oh, it's Saturday night. Probably busy steaming his ascots and dic.kies.
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    edited July 2017
    Dang Tom, I remember you talking about your system and how you haven't really heard much to compare to it and now I know why! WTG Kudos's on that setup.

Marvin's home system really stood out in my mind as a very well made/thought out system that sounded about as good as it could get that I know he took time to piece together like he did! (till he heard those dang Rosso's) now he is lost in space!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• msg
    In all seriousness, Tom, wowww. What a setup.
    I like that you include bits and pieces that are part of the ritual, like your steam cleaner. There's so much extra that goes into the enjoyment of these systems and the music they play. The music almost seems an afterthought, next to the chase and build. Almost.
    I disabled signatures.
  • lightman1
    But...again...Tom forgets about music and wants a perfect white noise spectrum.
    This ain't no schiit..... Put him an an anechoic chamber and he will find fault in the upper rear left wedge cascade..

And to wittttttts (hardy ;) ) Tom is the perfect non musical listening audio neophyte...to me just wanting to tell him.. Shut up Tom.... the music is playing.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    A low back Chesterfield style chair and ottoman work well for listening in comfort. Smoking jacket and pipe optional.
  • voltz
    he was a blast to hang out with or go from room to room with and hear what he thinks of each system, he reminds me of Marvin.

Marvin is E.F. Hutton to me, as I listen to what ever he has to say as he listen's to each system in the different rooms and what he finds in their sound. He doesn't have my Aircraft hearing ;)

funny thing happen on last day, was in same room as Tom & Marvin...they both said the same thing about 1 note bass to me... :p after they left I stayed behind and me the dudes in the room talking about music for a hour, about our favorite AC/DC song etc.. was so cool! it still all about the music 1st ! that is what brings us all together in the end!

• txcoastal1
    Ah, Tom would probably enjoy smelling his forts in the anechoic chamber

• lightman1
    voltz wrote: »
    he was a blast to hang out with or go from room to room with and hear what he thinks of each system, he reminds me of Marvin.

Marvin is E.F. Hutton to me, as I listen to what ever he has to say as he listen's to each system in the different rooms and what he finds in their sound. He doesn't have my Aircraft hearing ;)

funny thing happen on last day, was in same room as Tom & Marvin...they both said the same thing about 1 note bass to me... :p after they left I stayed behind and me the dudes in the room talking about music for a hour, about our favorite AC/DC song etc.. was so cool! it still all about the music 1st ! that is what brings us all together in the end!

Preach it brother D!
  • msg
    Emlyn wrote: »
    A low back Chesterfield style chair and ottoman work well for listening in comfort. Smoking jacket and pipe optional.
    Isn't that what the Maxell guy was sitting in?
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Ah, Tom would probably enjoy smelling his forts in the anechoic chamber
    And analyze the decay

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Dibs on the spare change when Tom swaps out his chair again next weekend.
    Word is he's planning to Karma the Doritos crumbs, too.
    I disabled signatures.