Monoprice's new Engineered and Patented Monolith RCA on order

1235»

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    A question that I've been pondering........has anyone here with say an over $5G revealing preamp gone back to basic interconnects and Home Depot extension cord speaker wires after having some of the better interconnects and speaker wires? I'm not trying to stir the pot but I can't help but wonder if anyone with great electronics decided that there's no difference in cabling and headed straight back to the basics even if it doesn't match their upscale gear?

Gone back for good? No way!

I was curious a couple of years ago so I swapped out all of my MIT interconnect cables in my two channel system for Blue Jeans Cable balanced and unbalanced cables. I also replaced the speaker cables with Audioquest CV6 DBS cables. The effect was to remove a good deal of the airy 3D like quality from music. The sound was direct, clean, clear and powerful. Just flat and when playing CDs the high frequencies again sounded a bit smeared and harsh. Many people would be perfectly fine with that type of cabling and sound if they had hearing loss, didn't care to spend more, just weren't willing to try something new, or out of personal preference like that kind of sound quality, or had a primarily home theater system. I left the cables in for a week.

When I switched back music became enjoyable to me again. If I had not been able to tell a big difference, I would have sold the MIT cables and pocketed the money from them.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    F1nut wrote: »
    This is somewhat along the lines of your question. I sold off my office rig at one point including the MIT cables. After awhile I missed having a rig in my office, so I bought some new gear along with some cheaper cables. Well, things were not up to my standards, so I bought a new set of MIT cables. Ahhhhh......musical bliss returned.

I remember years ago when I brought home Joe's speakers and picked up some MIT's at Sal's on the trip back. My electronics weren't as good back then and I could not detect a difference between the mogamis I was using and the MIT's so those Shotguns got sold, Last year after several electronics upgrades I decided to revisit some MIT's once again. With the better electronics now the difference cannot be overlooked or denied. So I'm thinking when people post there aren't differences in cabling I tend to believe them as their rig hasn't reached the point where they can hear those not so subtle differences.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    This is somewhat along the lines of your question. I sold off my office rig at one point including the MIT cables. After awhile I missed having a rig in my office, so I bought some new gear along with some cheaper cables. Well, things were not up to my standards, so I bought a new set of MIT cables. Ahhhhh......musical bliss returned.

I remember years ago when I brought home Joe's speakers and picked up some MIT's at Sal's on the trip back. My electronics weren't as good back then and I could not detect a difference between the mogamis I was using and the MIT's so those Shotguns got sold, Last year after several electronics upgrades I decided to revisit some MIT's once again. With the better electronics now the difference cannot be overlooked or denied. So I'm thinking when people post there aren't differences in cabling I tend to believe them as their rig hasn't reached the point where they can hear those not so subtle differences.

Yup a lot has to do with the system itself. A sub $1k system should be wired with Monoprice cables. Move up to better gear move up to better cables.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

That is likely in some cases, perhaps many. However, even on my lowly guest bedroom rig I could hear the improvement going from standard 16 gauge zip cord to MIT Shotgun cables, so I think it has to do with what experience the listener has with different cables and also how trained their ears are. Yet another reason may be how they listen. For example, do they sit in the sweet spot with their eyes closed or are they playing on their laptop at the same time?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited June 2017
    ^^^ A lot of people, myself included for many years, did not sit in the right place or position the speakers correctly and really did not concentrate all that well on the visualizing/hearing of the soundstage etc. Probably too busy partying to sit still. When changes were made to a system be it a source component or cabling a sound difference many times might never have been realized because no one was listening attentively enough. Very true that a higher-end systems will usually benefit more. I learned a lot from audio magazines before the internet, forgot most of it though!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mrloren wrote: »

Yup a lot has to do with the system itself. A sub $1k system should be wired with Monoprice cables. Move up to better gear move up to better cables.

I dunno about that man, some sub 1k systems are certainly deserving of better cabling. Lots of real estate in cabling between monoprice and MIT too. To each his own I guess, but I even have upgraded interconnects for my outdoor speakers, and they make a difference.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Just to reboot my own grip'o death story. I bought some Monster I/Cs and not knowing what or even if there was a correct way of removing them it happened. I tried to remove the cable from the amp input and sure enough it almost pulled the port out of the housing and goodby Onkyo P-301. I called Monster cable and they really didn't say much, BUT about 6 months goes by and in mail I get a new set of better quality of Monster I/Cs which I did not use and gifted them if you want to call it that to someone else w/ a stern warning..
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I have my Home theater wired with monoprice 12 ga CL2 cables with no complaints as it gets the job done and didn't cost a fortune for the 150ft I needed. HT sounds fine to me, but I have also tried their so called premium 6ft terminated speaker cables on the hifi, and my preferred budget cable BJC10White absolutely smoked them. The monoprice cables do not belong on anything intended for critical listening IMO.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant