Bridging amps? Bad?

phuz
phuz Posts: 2,372
Another forum member has told me that bridging channels on an amp will not sound as good as not. Opinions anyone?

I've already got a Rotel 2ch for my mains, and I've just found a Rotel 6ch amp that I'm thinking of getting to bridge into 3 channels for my center and rear chans.

Can anyone tell me why I should not do this? Thanks.
Post edited by phuz on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    I can't think of a reason, and haven't ever heard that bridging as a general rule will degrade the quality.

Bridge on broham.... Sounds like a stellar plan.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I can't think of a reason, and haven't ever heard that bridging as a general rule will degrade the quality.

Bridge on broham.... Sounds like a stellar plan.

Edit:

Cool, thanks man. :)

I'm going to wait a bit to see if this place will go down a bit over the next month or so. They still want $300 for the amp since it just came in. I know I can get it for cheaper so I'll be patient..........
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    I also have heard that bridging sometime loses sound quality.I can't speak of it with experience,I never tried it myself....If your buying another Rotel amp,I can't see the need for doubling up the power.Try bi amping...that might actually work out better.Let me know what you think....Rotel makes it easy to Bridge,they have switches on the back of some of there amps just for this.....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    As der Russmeister says....bridge on. I can't think of a reason of how it would damage the amp (otherwise, I would think that they wouldn't offer it as an option).

I've listened to El Roma's amps bridged on a few occaisons and thought they worked just fine and, ****, he's had 'em bridged for a decade probably with no issues.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    I don't think it's an issue but I have talked to some of my audiophile buddies that said they lost sound quality when compared...........I never said anything about damage....that must be your thinking or something......
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    hmmmm, I wasn't refering to your post Dan but since you asked, here is my way of thinking:

If it sounded worse to the owner (which is a subjective call) he always has the option to UN-bridge them. I figured that was a no brainer. My opinion is that it sounded swell to me.

I was thinking more along the lines of possible damage to the amp and from what I've seen, it's not an issue.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Troy,
    have you ever done a side by side or a-b compare with a given set of amps bridged and unbridged??I never did this and would like to get your thoughts..........you a 2 channel guy,I figure you tried this at one time or the other.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    No, not side by side. However, El Roma's amps are Carver mt series amps, which are the same series as mine. I've heard some say that it gives amps a 'harder' or more 'electronic' sound and I didn't find that to be the case. I'm not saying that I'm anywhere near an expert on the merits of bridging, and I think in the end how it sounds is largely a matter of opinion.

My main thing, since I can't really speak as to what would sound better to Phuz in this case, is if it is actually damaging to the amp as some folks worry about. That, I can say reasonably certainly is not an issue.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    They are basically the same comments I have heard about bridging amps together.

I'm waiting to hear what Phuz comes across.
    Dan
  • niles300z
    niles300z Posts: 21
    edited September 2012
    Late add as usual for me. I just fooled around with a rotel amp in bridged and unbridged. I agree with most others that report a loss of sound quality upon bridging. Oddly there was no loss of bass but for me it seemed to fatten the sound a bit with a more notable loss of imaging and air or what i think of as musicality. However if i was doing a dance and needed more power i would bridge and let er rip.
  • Blownrx7
    Blownrx7 Posts: 137
    edited October 2012
    niles300z wrote: »
    Late add as usual for me. I just fooled around with a rotel amp in bridged and unbridged. I agree with most others that report a loss of sound quality upon bridging. Oddly there was no loss of bass but for me it seemed to fatten the sound a bit with a more notable loss of imaging and air or what i think of as musicality. However if i was doing a dance and needed more power i would bridge and let er rip.

I would never have expected that. Thanks for actually doing the comparison!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2012
    I can state that bridging the Cambridge-Audio 840W is an improvement over a single amp in stereo mode. I have been doing this for about 5 years. Friday night the right channel amp died, and I went back to stereo mode on the other amp. Aside from having to turn the one amp up louder to reach the same listening SPL, the sound stage feels compressed. It does not have the open, full sound that resulted from two bridged amps.

It turns out that there is another benefit to bridging amps versus two dedicated monoblocks. If one dies you have a spare to tied you over until the other amp is fixed. :lol:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • hewlew1
    hewlew1 Posts: 154
    edited October 2012
    Some people say some amps have trouble when they are bridged into a 4 ohm load. I have 4 Carver M500T amps bridged each one plays into an 8 ohm load and the neidgbors really love them:biggrin: P.S. They have been used in this manner for about 5 years now with no Ill affects that I am aware of.
  • snake1
    snake1 Posts: 567
    edited October 2012
    I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread!! I've been having the same thoughts about bridging 2 amps for the front 2 and possibly a 3 ch. down the road for center and rear duty. Thanks for info guys!
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited October 2012
    Lets not take one bridgeable amp and apply it across the board. Yes, some amps are perfectly fine bridged, others can be, but don't like very big impedence swings. Even some manufacturers state that. Has more to do with design of the amp but one should pay attention to a manufacturers suggestions. For instance, even though my Butler amp can run in mono, it's suggested that while in mono to not use with speakers below 8 ohms. Now, if you have a speaker than occasionaly dips to 6 ohms chances are you'd be fine,but if your speaks dip to 4 ohms, you could be asking for trouble. My advice before bridging is to check with the manufacturer beforehand to avoid any problems down the road.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    Lets not take one bridgeable amp and apply it across the board. Yes, some amps are perfectly fine bridged, others can be, but don't like very big impedence swings. Even some manufacturers state that. Has more to do with design of the amp but one should pay attention to a manufacturers suggestions. For instance, even though my Butler amp can run in mono, it's suggested that while in mono to not use with speakers below 8 ohms. Now, if you have a speaker than occasionaly dips to 6 ohms chances are you'd be fine,but if your speaks dip to 4 ohms, you could be asking for trouble. My advice before bridging is to check with the manufacturer beforehand to avoid any problems down the road.
    +1... When you bridge an amp, it's minimum impedance changes. A 2 ohm stable amp will only be 4 ohm stable when bridged, etc...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • snake1
    snake1 Posts: 567
    edited October 2012
    I'll add this about parasound amps. I spoke with tech there yesterday and he said impedence swings weren't an issue with theirs.
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited October 2012
    snake1 wrote: »
    I'll add this about parasound amps. I spoke with tech there yesterday and he said impedence swings weren't an issue with theirs.

Cool, as long as SQ isn't either, then your golden.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cconklin1
    cconklin1 Posts: 10
    edited October 2012
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    edited October 2012
    glad I found this thread. I am considering bridging a pair of M1.0t Mk2's for my SRS 1.2's and someone told me about reduced SQ when you run mono.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited October 2012
    SQ aside you cannot use bridged amplifiers with SDA's as they will no longer be common ground.
  • trav0810
    edited October 2012
    Ahhh...you are correct. You eliminate the common ground when you bridge. Damn!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited October 2012
    phuz wrote: »
    I've already got a Rotel 2ch for my mains, and I've just found a Rotel 6ch amp that I'm thinking of getting to bridge into 3 channels for my center and rear chans. Can anyone tell me why I should not do this? Thanks.
    SQ on that amp. I'd considered doing the same until I found a revue on a low power 6 channel Rotel, words to the effect: "SQ wasn't up to Rotel's otherwise excellent standards." and ".. while bridging did increase output, it degraded SQ further."

Shortly thereafter bought a 5ch Rotel off eBay, using as a 3ch for my CC & LR tops(see my sig). BTW What model Rotel do you have, irrelavant I know, & what model are you looking at?

My $.02, Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited October 2012
    trav0810 wrote: »
    Ahhh...you are correct. You eliminate the common ground when you bridge. Damn!

You'd have to use the AI-1.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• trav0810
    edited October 2012
    F1nut wrote: »
    You'd have to use the AI-1.

What's the AI-1?

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited October 2012
    trav0810 wrote: »
    What's the AI-1?
    It's a special isolation transformer that prevents there being a direct short between the negative outputs of bridged amplifiers.By bridging the amplifier it's output now operates differentially with the negative half of the signal now taken from the positive terminal of the inverted channel instead of the normal negative terminal which is at ground potential.Shorting the outputs of bridged/differential amplifiers together is a recipe for grief thus the reason for the AI-1.
  • trav0810
    edited October 2012
    Ahhh! Thank you!

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • niles300z
    niles300z Posts: 21
    edited January 2014
    hi guys. I have another amp with some time in comparing bridged vs non.
    this one is 45x4, 90 x1 + 45x1 or bridged 90 x 2. this amp also has two transformers.
    I have come to the same conclusion. better sound unbridged. by a smidge in this case.
    I'm using a parasound CD to a Cambridge DAC. Currently using an outlaw 950 and klipsch fortes for speakers at close range.
    to me there is more air and a more lively extended treble unbridged which can yield a better image. bass is also a bit quicker and cleaner .
    all these things are subjective but I think there is a reasonable explanation having to do with summing and interpolation. or phase. I'll leave that one to the experts. cheers.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited June 2017
    Don't let the opinions of others trump your own ears.

If you think it sounds better that's all that really matters.

If you have to convince yourself that it sounds better or worse, then it probably doesn't.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited June 2017
    Don't let the opinions of others trump your own ears.

If you think it sounds better that's all that really matters.

If you have to convince yourself that it sounds better or worse, then it probably doesn't.

Good point actually. I read many things about audio, and often it looks like people are parroting what they have heard a few say.
    Then they go into something expecting a certain outcome, and their listening experience is tainted from the get go.
    I have learned one thing from sound and audio. If you read enough opinions, you will find there is no consensus on just about everything talked about.