msg Posts: 9,306
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm offended.
    Reported!
    I disabled signatures.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited June 2017
    I understand Polk's desire to keep this place family friendly and all, that's just good business; I think the mods get a little carried away at times, and it just kind of blindsides everyone. Like my temp banning a few months ago over a funny picture (no nudity). The "heavy-handedness" isn't appreciated.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • @steveinaz, to put it in perspective, there are only two of us and I just started about a month ago.

I would reference my "Respect" thread from a few weeks ago. If everyone can get along, show respect to others, not bully and follow the rules, then we won't have any issues.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Sure it has much to commend it as a life philosophy or political principle, but as the man has said over and again, this is a BUSINESS with one goal and a clear hierarchical structure. Lots of you work for corporations whose main goal is the almighty dolla, why is it so hard to grasp here lol...

The primary motivation here is not pleasing or placating anyone, it's selling more gear. Whatever is done in the forum is instrumental. The goal is $$$

And while I completely agree with you here, that doesn't change the fact that there has indeed been placating to some. A small minority really, that have made the most noise. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

But this is Polk's playground and if we can't accept the rules (no matter how obviously disproportionately applied) then we should find another playground.

What you call a "Small minority" in fact, is actually several dozen forum members, and most of the "Silent Majority" of the forum that simply either do not post much, or quit posting regularly due to the issues I mentioned on another thread, about "Why the forum is not mentioned" and how Polk does not appreciate the silliness anymore.

2 or 3 people are not complaining about issues, it is several dozen or a large majority of the forum.

@KenCustomerService If these numbers are wrong, please chime in.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Well said, Darryl....
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    K_M wrote: »
    Sure it has much to commend it as a life philosophy or political principle, but as the man has said over and again, this is a BUSINESS with one goal and a clear hierarchical structure. Lots of you work for corporations whose main goal is the almighty dolla, why is it so hard to grasp here lol...

The primary motivation here is not pleasing or placating anyone, it's selling more gear. Whatever is done in the forum is instrumental. The goal is $$$

And while I completely agree with you here, that doesn't change the fact that there has indeed been placating to some. A small minority really, that have made the most noise. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

But this is Polk's playground and if we can't accept the rules (no matter how obviously disproportionately applied) then we should find another playground.

What you call a "Small minority" in fact, is actually several dozen forum members, and most of the "Silent Majority" of the forum that simply either do not post much, or quit posting regularly due to the issues I mentioned on another thread, about "Why the forum is not mentioned" and how Polk does not appreciate the silliness anymore.

2 or 3 people are not complaining about issues, it is several dozen or a large majority of the forum.

Several dozen......

Have a mod look and show us several dozen that post here... or better yet just visit.

Several dozen, nope. Just a few that want to rule the place.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • msg
    lightman1 wrote: »
    We all get along, Ken. I have flown and driven 10s of thousands of miles to meet up with and hang out with many a member here. Gatherings, dinners...
    Heck...even Ryan @ZLTFUL and his wife put up with me for a few weeks a year.
    I've installed dedicated power circuits for Dan @EndersShadow to his HT. He and his family have welcomed "Mr. Russ" on many occasions. Many a dinner, beer and bar hopping with Steve @gudnoyez in his neck of Iowa.
    We have built lifelong friendships from this Polk brand you are bringing to the masses.
    @DSkip @voltz @marvda1 @dkfreebird @treitz3 @AsSiMiLaTeD @deronb1 @indyhawg @oldrocker @VR3 @txcoastal1......the list goes on.
    We have built an extended family around your product.
    That's why we get a little testy when things get heated.
    Carry on with your task at hand, but don't homologise it to the point where it becomes.......pointless to be here.
    I am Russ.....10+ years Polk family member.
    And keep an eye on your shrubs. ;)
    I like the message here, Russ, but I don't like a single person on this list.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Why can't we all just get back to the subject which brings us here???

Seems like in the last few weeks we have all decided to complain about items that are not in our control and not focus on helping, understanding, learning and general discussions about audio/HT products.

Now back to our regular scheduled program.....
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • lightman1
    edited June 2017
    msg wrote: »
    We all get along, Ken. I have flown and driven 10s of thousands of miles to meet up with and hang out with many a member here. Gatherings, dinners...
    Heck...even Ryan @ZLTFUL and his wife put up with me for a few weeks a year.
    I've installed dedicated power circuits for Dan @EndersShadow to his HT. He and his family have welcomed "Mr. Russ" on many occasions. Many a dinner, beer and bar hopping with Steve @gudnoyez in his neck of Iowa.
    We have built lifelong friendships from this Polk brand you are bringing to the masses.
    @DSkip @voltz @marvda1 @dkfreebird @treitz3 @AsSiMiLaTeD @deronb1 @indyhawg @oldrocker @VR3 @txcoastal1......the list goes on.
    We have built an extended family around your product.
    That's why we get a little testy when things get heated.
    Carry on with your task at hand, but don't homologise it to the point where it becomes.......pointless to be here.
    I am Russ.....10+ years Polk family member.
    And keep an eye on your shrubs. ;)
    I like the message here, Russ, but I don't like a single person on this list.

They don't like you either, Scott. Hampton Roads in September. I will give you a long list of these people.......then you can cry about no one hitting the coveted "like!" icon for any of your posts.

Reported for demeaning my self esteem :'(
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    vmaxer wrote: »

Several dozen......

Have a mod look and show us several dozen that post here... or better yet just visit.

Amen.

And @K_M do you REALLY expect Ken to give us a number of the people who have complained?
    First, it would go against his pledge to hear both sides before making any judgement. And second, I watch the members and guest numbers as much if not more than the moderation here and you are confused if you think over 100% of the active members and visiting guests have complained about "us".

Everyone participating in this thread knows who the squeaky wheels are. Including the moderation. But for some reason, the moderation is choosing to ignore or accept the passive-aggressive sniping that you and yours constantly resort to. Sorry but I have never been one to pull any punches. I call em how I see em. Even called BS out on @F1nut a time or twelve on things like Emotiva. But if you notice, he and I can agree to disagree without me trying to prove to him why my perception is better than his...again, unlike you and yours.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • K_M
    edited June 2017
    vmaxer wrote: »

Several dozen......

Amen.

And @K_M do you REALLY expect Ken to give us a number of the people who have complained?
    First, it would go against his pledge to hear both sides before making any judgement. And second, I watch the members and guest numbers as much if not more than the moderation here and you are confused if you think over 100% of the active members and visiting guests have complained about "us".

Everyone participating in this thread knows who the squeaky wheels are. Including the moderation. But for some reason, the moderation is choosing to ignore or accept the passive-aggressive sniping that you and yours constantly resort to. Sorry but I have never been one to pull any punches. I call em how I see em. Even called BS out on @F1nut a time or twelve on things like Emotiva. But if you notice, he and I can agree to disagree without me trying to prove to him why my perception is better than his...again, unlike you and yours.

There are no sides.
    We are all guests on Polk's forum.

I do not expect Ken to do anything but enforce the forum rules.

Perhaps if we all behave and act politely, you will see this imaginary "Us" and "Them" you make mention of, is the root of most of the forums problems.

All views and people are welcome. The thing of trying to drive new people off, calling them trolls, or trying to bash them or gang up on them, was hurting the forum, and creating the atmosphere where hardly anyone new was staying.

I am all for getting along with everyone.
    Perhaps you need to try a bit harder.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Really? Because you make it a point to try and discount any experience that doesn't agree with your preconceived notions.

You say that someone hearing a difference in cables is expectation bias...not that they simply have a different experience than yours.

You say you can't tell the difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC file...and insinuate that if anyone else *CLAIMS* they can, they are experiencing expectation bias.

You can't seem to grasp that everyone's experiences that differ from YOURS are equally valid and THAT is why you see people having a problem with you.

The difference between *us* and *you* is we don't discount someone's experiences the way you and yours do. Instead, we share our own experiences and leave it there. You are the ones insisting that we are wrong because our experiences differ from what you seem to think is your own infallible sense of hearing.

And then you resort to trying to convince people how wrong they are by spamming them with IMs until they have to threaten you with reporting to moderation.

How about you try approaching it this way...when someone posts up something that doesn't agree with your line of thinking, before replying, say to yourself, "Self, Am I going to tell this person that they don't really hear a difference but only expectation bias?" If the answer is yes, then you have just proven me and everyone else who feels the same way right.
    Same goes for your propensity to blather on about ABX testing when again, there are other methods of testing just as valid that you tend to discount out of hand because you personally don't agree with them.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    I still say he needs a mansiere. And a girdle might come in handy, too.

DISCLAIMER: Previous statement made on a non-professional assessment that that is a man. Not trying to assign an unwanted gender identity with unsolicited advice.

One of the "problems" with the respect issue is that it can be difficult to attempt to give respect when none is shown in return. Ryan mentioned the issue of "expectation bias" that some folks throw out quite a bit. One of the long time WELL respected members had posted on a new piece of gear. He, as usual, documented and recorded his findings as he tried out numerous pieces from different vendors. The gear that sounded better in his system was documented to show these results. He expressed that he was a bit surprised that this particular piece sounded the best, that he had "expected" several other units to perform better.
    He had a reasonable "expectation" that XYZ gear would give the best results. It didn't.
    But he didn't "adjust" his real word findings with his expectations, because that's what he does and that's who he is.

This gentleman has been insulted (and I don't use that term mistakenly) by accusations of "expectation bias" by somel folks who's only "proof" is that they wouldn't be able to hear a difference.
    Their passive-agressive cries of "Well, I never said he was a liar !" or other lame protestations when confronted should be given the attention they deserve: none.

Sal Palooza
  • K_M
    edited June 2017
    Really? Because you make it a point to try and discount any experience that doesn't agree with your preconceived notions.

You say that someone hearing a difference in cables is expectation bias...not that they simply have a different experience than yours.

You say you can't tell the difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC file...and insinuate that if anyone else *CLAIMS* they can, they are experiencing expectation bias.

You can't seem to grasp that everyone's experiences that differ from YOURS are equally valid and THAT is why you see people having a problem with you.

The difference between *us* and *you* is we don't discount someone's experiences the way you and yours do. Instead, we share our own experiences and leave it there. You are the ones insisting that we are wrong because our experiences differ from what you seem to think is your own infallible sense of hearing.

And then you resort to trying to convince people how wrong they are by spamming them with IMs until they have to threaten you with reporting to moderation.

How about you try approaching it this way...when someone posts up something that doesn't agree with your line of thinking, before replying, say to yourself, "Self, Am I going to tell this person that they don't really hear a difference but only expectation bias?" If the answer is yes, then you have just proven me and everyone else who feels the same way right.
    Same goes for your propensity to blather on about ABX testing when again, there are other methods of testing just as valid that you tend to discount out of hand because you personally don't agree with them.

You seem to be extrapolating many ideas and comments from several older somewhat heated discussions/posts.
    I will do my utmost to be respectful and consider all your views seriously.
    I truly hope you are able to also.

Let's not dwell in the past. I truly hope we can all get along

Above all else, we all need to be polite and respectful to each other.
  • K_M
    edited June 2017
    @mrbigbluelight

Disagreeing with someone is not a personal attack or insult, nor does it show lack of repect. It is quite common on audio forums, and in fact is usually the norm.

Seeking agreement/confirmation, and not getting it, is not just cause for attacking someone or insulting them either.

If we all follow forum rules, and quit taking disagreement Emotionally and as an insult, I bet things will be just fine!

Cheer up and smile!
  • lightman1
    Shut up, Larry.......
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Shut up, Larry.......

Quit trolling my bushes Russ!!

LOL!!

• msg
    edited June 2017
    Nicely said, Larry.

And this part made me laugh.
    bk819d9jg9da.jpg

PS.
    Brian doesn't have any problems here because it puts the lotion on its skin.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited June 2017
    I wish Polk stood by us dealers and installers.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    Hermitism wrote: »
    The perfect compromise (fyi, the photo was subtly changed):
    pknfhe85s04q.jpg
    I'd like to solve the puzzle... Go kiss yourself???
    No, you are incorrect.
    You must be a lawyer.
    If not, you should be.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    As a disclaimer, I'm not making light of moderators having to monitor content of a public forum. I know the mods are involved in making changes so I'm not telling them how to do their job, but as suggested by the mods, I'm merely "discussing" what's been brought out in the open in this community forum.

So for sake of discussion....looking at the rules, I'm trying to see where the old avatar was either abusive, vulgar, or profane. Maybe if the "solution" to the puzzle was on the shirt it could be different but it wasn't, which makes the shirt funny. So it's at the extent of your imagination...kinda like the girl in the advertisement.....which I also didn't find remotely vulgar, or obscene, or tasteless....but being 3/4 nekked, it's safe to assume what someone's "imagination" could do.

I know it was stated by the mods that they can't tell a professional athlete what to wear, but Polk was obviously aware what she was going to do and wear....and that's OK, again, I don't think anyone was offended..when was the last time anyone went to a public pool?

How long has F1 had this avatar? Been awhile and I don't remember any content discussing it being offensive....did I miss something?

When was the last time you went by a Spencers gift store and saw a sign...

"Nobody under the age of 13 allowed in the store"

Going on what's been said, are we losing customers due to issues of forum content and pics/avatars or is this just a precaution? Based on what was said, I assume the latter. I think it's a safe bet the age group searching Polk products would vastly be a mature group. Again, that's not expressing that there doesn't need to be set of guidelines and constant monitoring of a public forum, I understand the ramifications.

So no disrespect to the mods, I don't have an issue with authority, just trying to add to the discussion.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited June 2017
    deleted because it won't make a difference anyway...
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    If one so desires they could go to Audiokarma to view Jesse's avatar where it doesn't seem to "offend" anyone nor do they have a 6 page thread discussing the merits of it. I think it's a great avatar but sadly I cannot say the same for this forum anymore
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Do the mods sport man buns?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
This discussion has been closed.