MIT vs Audioquest....

Looking for opinion on the MIT Shotgun s3 versus the equivalent line from Audioquest. I have been exceptionally pleased with Doug's cables, but want opinions on these other offerings. I am looking to get a bit more out of the gear I have on hand as I am pretty pleased with what I have on hand at the moment.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Speaker, interconnect, or both?

I have never tried Audioquest, but I did replace MIT S1.3 XLRs with Shunyata Zitron Anaconda ICs in the stereo. The Shunyata is more open, with better imaging, but that was a few years ago, and I don't keep detailed notes as does Ray.

I have to admit that I did like not having cables with boxes dangling. I always felt that was putting stress on the connectors. Of course, they are now dangling in the HT. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Speaker cables or interconnects?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Both. Sorry, I should have made that clear.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Only have experience with the MIT's, not much help here.... :)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2017
    Interesting question! It would be interesting to hear a qualitative (subjective) comparison of the effect on the sound of one brand of cables (I/C or speaker) compared to the other, with all other components, room, and source material held constant. Just a listener's opinion, you know? No need to get into ****-flinging ;) just "well, this one sounded warm to me, and that one sounded bright". That sort of thing.

I love to compare stuff -- but the price of admission dissuades me from a taste test of cables of this calibre. :neutral:
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    What line of Audioquest would be in line of MIT Shotgun S3's would be my question?

My 2 Channel system is complete with MIT S3, I have used Audioquest cables in the past (lower end) with good results but never the entire system..

After the investment in MIT I have had a hard time wanting to put that kind of funds into trying a full line of another brand in that price range, I want to try it but that's a lot of money to put out for a comparison....
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Audioquest makes a wide range of good to outstanding straight forward conventional cables. Their DBS technology seems to work. The thing that sets MIT apart from others is the 3D qualities they add that I have not found elsewhere especially when the speaker cables and interconnects are the same line. Yes, I said add. When I switch out MIT speaker cables for Audioquest I find the dimensionality is diminished. I use MIT all around for everything these days. It is not a good idea to mix and match with MIT cables.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Emlyn: May I ask what are the differences in your experience in the steps between MIT S3 and MIT S2 and MIT S1? Subtle? More with IC's? Thanks?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    And what happens when you mix and match? Is it like division by zero?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited June 2017
    The differences in the levels within the same MIT range are subtle in my opinion and mainly have to do with the punch of low frequencies. Their speaker cables seem to make the most difference and they are noticeable when mixed with other brand interconnects. Adding the MIT interconnects in the chain strengthens and complements, or adds to, the good aspects of the speaker cables. My recommendation is usually to use all MIT or all Audioquest. I also like Kimber Hero and 8TC speaker cables together.

Years ago I did not like MIT speaker cables without MIT interconnects much when I used them with big SDA speakers. They made the speakers sound odd to me. When I put the cables together in the system they sounded much more cohesive.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    msg wrote: »
    And what happens when you mix and match? Is it like division by zero?

It's like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters.

GhostbustersdefeatingGozer.jpg
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Simple:

Spend more.....

GET MORE
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Won't make a difference, John.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    No experience with MIT vs. Audioquest but I do know MIT's are a noticeable improvement over Mogami and Canare speaker wires and interconnects on my main sda rig.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Kinda comparing apples and oranges John. AQ makes some nice cables, for all sorts of levels. I have never heard their top tier Oaks or Wels though. The ones I have heard sounded well balanced, top to bottom, but always seem to me anyway like they were missing something. Call it flesh, tone, separation of instruments on a stage, can't put my finger on any one critique.

Price to price, all things even, I'd take the MIT all day though.

Kimber 8TC's are also a wonderful cable to compete with AQ. Too many brands out there though to say which is better for anyone. I do like MIT, AZ, Analysis Plus, Wireworld as mid priced champs in their respected categories. Only you can decide which is to your liking.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Won't make a difference, John.

I agree, just like amplifiers all cables sound the same.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    People prefer one or the other for their performance in their rig and that's how it should be because rigs, rooms and ears are all different. In my experience I've found MIT cables bring me closer to the music. I find them perfectly balanced from top to bottom and as Mark mentioned, they have a 3D quality that I've never found in other cables.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    John, with the level of your system there will be a significant difference that only you can solve by a lot of trial and error. I have extensive experience with many models of MIT. They have a definite profile, more on the musical side until you get up into the reference level and they become more on the resolving side. The upper levels are expensive! And intended for reference systems.

The SG series which have been around a long time, gone through a lot of innovation, offer a unique presentation, I have gotten the same presentation as F1 describes. You have to hear it for yourself to determine if that is your cup of tea for long term enjoyment. I would try the cable company. I am also not a believer that your entire system has to be wired up with one cable brand, even network cables. Never worked for me and I have tried several looms from different brands. Too much of one flavor can be too much.

I have never had audioquest in my system with the exception of the digital pro cable. Even though it is long in the tooth - it is still excellent.

I would try one at a time, I always prefer MIT IC’s from source to preamp but never in the preamp to amp position. All my MIT is now in my home theather system.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    stones89 wrote: »
    I would try one at a time, I always prefer MIT IC’s from source to preamp but never in the preamp to amp position. .

Interesting observation......mirrors my own experience with positioning. Also not a fan of one brand for the whole system. Trial and error is the name of the game.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Oracle! That's all you need, ac cables from the Oracle line are great .... but nothing and I mean nothing I have tried can compare to a full setup of top of the line Oracle.

Wireworld platinum eclipse did not sound as good with HD90 speaker cables as a cheaper pair Oracle 3.2 but on their own the platinum are better.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I would try one at a time, I always prefer MIT IC’s from source to preamp but never in the preamp to amp position. All my MIT is now in my home theather system.

interesting could you expand on why ?

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042

Hmmm; I guess we all hear differently as that's where I prefer my SG's (pre to power). Most bang for the buck imo as all the sources benefit from these fine sounding cables.

• F1nut
    The MIT cables definitely give better results as a complete system in my rigs.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    As a data point, how long have you stayed with one "model" of MIT?
    F1nut wrote: »
    People prefer one or the other for their performance in their rig and that's how it should be because rigs, rooms and ears are all different. In my experience I've found MIT cables bring me closer to the music. I find them perfectly balanced from top to bottom and as Mark mentioned, they have a 3D quality that I've never found in other cables.

• F1nut
    Well, I have different versions, but I've been using MIT cables for a long time.

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I think Audioquest is a far superior cable company compared to most offered out there. Not to mention there is a ton of snake oil companies that sell you cables that don't offer any real world benefits.
    The goal with any cable is to send given signal from A to B as clean as possible. There is no reason to try to enhance cable signal transfer. You want a pure signal that came from your source as best as possible and arrive at the Pre , Amp and speaker without taking anything from that signal or adding to it.
    With that in mind I suggest comparing the Shotgun S3 to the Audioquest Rocket series. The 44's or the 88's will be a fair compare without going crazy.
    Even with Audioquest, when you start getting into their very high end cables, you start to great lose costs benefits very quickly. In my personal experience with all things cables, you lose the price to performance early. Most of these higher end well respected cable companies built their budget stuff based off their high end stuff so you can get a very high quality cable in the lower end models and save a ton of cash to spend on better amps speakers room treatments etc that will greatly benefit your system more so then buying very high end cables.
    Finding the right level of cable for your given system is always a challenge. You also don't want to short change yourself and buy cables that don't do your system justice.
    I assume you have done your homework and found this level of cables for your given system is where it needs to be.
    If you have the ability to purchase both sets of cables and shoot them out, that would really tell you what works in your system for you. I will tell you not to bother and go with the Rocket 44's and call it a day. But where is the fun in that???
    As suggest above, I also suggest doing the entire signal chain in either MIT or Audioquest so you get the full signal path . This way you will get to experience the way both companies get the job done.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Dan the point of high end cables as such is that you have done everything, room gear , speakers and you want to fine tune. When all that's out of the way then good cables turn a high end rig into a .... Super high end rig ? Wireworld are the budget high end King. MIT Oracle are the reference standard, I don't care what they mess with because you get this really 3D holographic sound stage and it may be exaggerated a little or it may be the way a signal is supposed to sound, in any case its my favorite ridiculous money cables to listen to!