MIT Shotgun series cables

Options
Looking for a bit of advice, as I know the Shotgun series speaker and IC cables supposedly work best when all cables in the system are of the same series....i.e. S1, S2, S3. Also, This next purchase would be for a set of balanced S2 IC for the pre to amp connection. My speaker cables are S2 series biwires and perfect length. The other ICs are S3 from DAC to PRE and also have a set of S1. I really want to go all the same series at this point, somewhat because of mild OCD issues....roll with the S2 blalanced pair and sell the S1 or S3 to finance these...thoughts?

Comments

• stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    I've used many variations of MIT cables, different series as well as all the same. Sonically, I find it better to mix and match levels.

Through much trial and error I am not a believer in a full loom from the same manufacturer. Others have a different POV. It has just never worked for me. YMMV.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Kev, you must surely be experiencing absolutely unbearable, horrible sound with that mishmash combination of MIT cables, making you want to put all your stuff out by the curb on trash day.
    (I can relate to this neurosis)

What are the balanced S2s replacing?

I'd probably put the S1s on the DAC to Pre, and move the S3s.
    Be good if someone could comment, designwise, on what the S1s have over the S3s, but seems to me, putting the best of the three in place would eliminate any potential signal limitations at the source, so you're not passing a "degraded" signal to the rest of the chain from the get-go? Of course, best to test for yourself to see how you like each if you can get the S2s before selling the S1s or S3s.
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    The balanced S2 would be replacing unbalanced S1s going from pre to amp...I know, I have issues..,
  • stones89
    Options
    You have issues? I don't think you have issues….

3by18l4byd5f.jpg
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • msg
    Options
    ^^^ lol, nice, man :D
    Who cares about pool anyway.

Nah Kev, I see where you're coming from. I prefer balanced between the pre and amp, myself. Aside from the obvious dB bump I notice, I would be curious as to whether I could pick up any SQ difference between balanced and unbalanced.

So you currently have S1s in the front end, and only S2s from the amp to speakers? I see your dilemma and considerations here. I'd be questioning whether to move to S2 from S1 as well, even if going to balanced. Certainly does invite more question. Any chance of holding out for finding balanced S1s? Of course then you'll be wondering how much better your speakers could sound with S1s there...

It's obvious that these changes are disrupting your peace.
    Now I'm getting sucked into it. I hate your guts.
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    stones89 wrote: »
    You have issues? I don't think you have issues….

3by18l4byd5f.jpg
    At least you covered your pool table! Is that a PS Audio AC5 I spy in the middle....
  • stones89
    Options
    That is a PS Audio Statement. Works great on my stereo amp but I am using mono's, plus it is one stiff cable.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    What I did swap out today was a Black Cat digital coax for an AQ VDM 3 between the DAC and CDP. That and mixing 2 different tubes into the compliment of 4 in my Cary pre was a pleasant surprise.
  • stones89
    Options
    Nice, tube rolling can definitely change the tone and presentation. Is the Black Cat made by Stereolab?
  • msg
    Options
    Black Cat was a line of cables by Chris Sommovigo.
    Kev, presuming this was a Veloce you swapped out?
    I just recently obtained a nos one of these after 2yrs on the lookout.

Mr. Sommovigo moved to Japan and is still building. Interesting fellow; cool philosophy on life and living. Serious about cables.
    https://blackcatcable.com/pages/about
    I disabled signatures.
  • stones89
    Options
    Good to hear about Chris, I have a Stereolab Diablo SC that I swap in from time to time. It is interesting as it has the equivalent of 32 AWG or something similar, very thin but I would not characterize it as lean. I used to have his 600 silver SC but sold it.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I mixed different series of MIT in one of my systems and sounded quite pleasant.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• kevhed72
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    It is....it popped up on US Audiomart so I jumped on it. When I tried it vs. my generic glass Toslink coming from the the squeezebox there was barely a difference. When I hooked it inline to the CD player is really where it really became noticeable.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice, as I know the Shotgun series speaker and IC cables supposedly work best when all cables in the system are of the same series....i.e. S1, S2, S3. Also, This next purchase would be for a set of balanced S2 IC for the pre to amp connection. My speaker cables are S2 series biwires and perfect length. The other ICs are S3 from DAC to PRE and also have a set of S1. I really want to go all the same series at this point, somewhat because of mild OCD issues....roll with the S2 blalanced pair and sell the S1 or S3 to finance these...thoughts?

As they are all Shotguns they are the same series just different levels. Since it appears your gear is not a balanced design I don't think you'd gain anything going to the balanced IC, but I also don't think you'd notice much difference going from the S1 to the S2. Certainly not as much of a difference as going from the S1 to an S3.

If you ever want to sell the Statement power cord I'm interested as long as it has the removable ground pin.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stones89
    Options
    The PS Audio Statement does not have the removable pin.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, thanks.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ok, thanks.

s6gatw7m02fm.jpg
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    Options
    LOL.....no the reason is the early Statement cords didn't have very good grip on the IEC end. PS Audio improved that and also added the removable ground pin. That's how to tell if the IEC end is the death grip version.

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    LOL.....no the reason is the early Statement cords didn't have very good grip on the IEC end. PS Audio improved that and also added the removable ground pin. That's how to tell if the IEC end is the death grip version.

ah I see, I also enjoy the death grip. You could hang off a building with the furutech stuff.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• msg
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    It is....it popped up on US Audiomart so I jumped on it. When I tried it vs. my generic glass Toslink coming from the the squeezebox there was barely a difference. When I hooked it inline to the CD player is really where it really became noticeable.
    Did you buy that just recently from a guy named Frank?
    I disabled signatures.
  • stones89
    Options
    Unfortunately my Polks are right in front of the amp plugs so for me to use the PS I must have a severe bend because of the speakers close proximity to the wall. 8 inches - thats about as much as it will bend.