Polk Audio LSi15 Crossover Modification Thread

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited March 2013
    Pictures taken on top of Bill's immaculate rack!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tankman
    Tankman Posts: 419
    edited March 2013
  • VR3
    edited March 2013
    Thank you sir!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited March 2013
    Wow...beautiful.

Trey, have you heard the lsim 705?

Curious how a modded 15 would stack up with a 705.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • VR3
    edited March 2013
    Thank you sir!

The LSiM705 is a baddd mother...

Having heard the LSi9 modified in person I would say a LSi15 modified would hold its own against the LSiM705.

Now if you were modify the LSiM705... game over I am afraid. Those speakers modified would be a force to reckon with for sure.
  • thefferon
    thefferon Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    Hi Trey,

Noobie here. I just picked up a nice pair of Lsi15s. I want to do both the DB840 woofer mod (drivers and mortite on order!) and possibly the crossover mod if feasible. I'm wondering:
    - were you / the customer ultimately happy with the improvement in sound from this upgrade?
    - do you offer assembled crossover upgrades for owners to install in their Lsi15 cabinets? I picked up my speakers locally and can't imagine packing them up and shipping somewhere both ways (for both cost and TLC reasons :) ). Have you done more of this mod since your last post?

Funny, my speakers have mismatched finish - one is ebony the other cherry. My brother is a carpenter and does fine cabinetry so I'm enlisting his help to replace the wood panels on both speakers so they will match. Any advice on that mod, as far as avoiding altering sonic qualities by using different kinds of wood, or on mounting materials and methods?

Thanks,
    The Fferon
  • VR3
    edited June 2013
    Hey Fferon!

Please give me a shout at Vr3Mods@GMail.com :)

To my knowledge all of the LSi15 modifications I have performed have ended with happy ears! :) You will just have to ship the crossovers, not the whole speaker... :)

Will talk more in email!

Thanks! :)
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
    I am really liking the Delrin... fancy fancy
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
    Woo hoo!
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited December 2013
    I like! Since I just acquired a pair of LSi15, I have my sights on XO upgrade.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • VR3
    edited December 2013
    Thank you sir!

The LSi series responds to upgrades very well!
  • VR3
    Clarity Cap ESA
    Mundorf E Cap bypassed by ESA
    Mundorf Mox Resistors
    Stock Inductors, Stock Wiring
    Point to point with aluminum termainl plate

ty7xc2i9y8z5.jpg
  • VR3
    The caps and resistors are as basic as they get... the resistors and inductors have their own set of compromises as well
  • VR3
    Clarity Cap CSA - Jantzen permite and air core for easy fit

jxcse4bj6esp.jpg
    xca712s8cp42.jpg
    mxvvyv0n9d2k.jpg
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    I finally shoe horned these bad boys in last night. Looking forward to giving them a listen tonight. Wonder how long it will take for them to break in.

nt9ctk6sk5i6.jpg
    f98cvrgbw1cm.jpg
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • sgmsmg
    So far so good. I can definitely hear a difference. Can't wait until they are broken in more.
    2 Channel
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI

Home Theater
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
  • VR3
    I'm very impressed with where you installed those! lol
  • VR3
    Break in is about... 2-300 hours
  • sgmsmg
    VR3 wrote: »
    I'm very impressed with where you installed those! lol

Definitely was not an easy space to get to but it was worth the effort.
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • sgmsmg

Any pointers for proper break in? I need to research this more. At the rate I get to use these that will be next year some time :D
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited April 2017
    sgmsmg wrote: »

Any pointers for proper break in? I need to research this more. At the rate I get to use these that will be next year some time :D

Leave them on playing the radio 24/7

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    Yep, just background music on a loop for a week or two - leave the house, leave em playing :)
  • sgmsmg
    Does extremely low volume count? I work nights and sleep during the day.
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    external would drastically increase the costs of the modifications...
    No chit, Sherlock! LOL

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

yep
  • sgmsmg
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

yep

Thanks!
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • sgmsmg
    Reporting back after these have had some time to break in (~300 hours). These speakers have definitely been transformed. All for the better. More detailed, accurate and efficient if that is possible. I can't really give a quantitive evaluation of improvement because I made some changes to my setup during the break in. A major one being the use of a different DAC (NAD M51) than my Oppo 105 and another is the addition of heavy curtains to cover the reflective window surfaces in the room. Currently I have no room treatments but that is an eventuality.

If anyone is considering a Vr3 crossover upgrade it is well worth it in my opinion. Excellent communication, with progress reports and pictures. Top notch service and support. The quality of these can be seen in the pictures contained in this thread. These crossovers were well worth the money spent. I wanted to upgrade but didn't want to have to deal with selling/buying more speakers. Not to mention I wasn't looking forward to lugging these back down from the 3rd floor.

Thanks again to Vr3!!!! :)B):)B)
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • VR3
    I appreciate the kind words :) Thank you again!
  • sgmsmg
    I appreciate the kind words :) Thank you again!

No problem. You deserve them. Thank You!
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • WS6
    WS6 Posts: 1
    VR3, I'm looking to upgrade my Lsi15 crossovers. Are you still in that business? I really like what I see of your work here.

I know they are old speakers. But mine are in mint condition, and I love the sound. I have a LsiC as my center channel. I think this HT front punches above its weight.

Cheers!