Polk Audio LSi15 Crossover Modification Thread

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,964
edited December 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Coming soon!

Clarity Cap SA, PX, ESA, Mundorf Resistors! Should be fun! :)
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited July 2012
    Your a busy man lately good for you vr3.
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Way to busy!

I only make threads for "New" mods - hardly for the repeats! Juggling like 5 crossovers right now! :)

Thanks!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Parts, Stock Crossovers + random part from Legacy Empire crossover! :-P
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited July 2012
    Trey out of overall curiosity PM me the cost of the upgrade.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Woofer/Midbass Network

This is a TOUGH modification... definitely had to be creative on parts placement
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2012
    Trey, do you have the actual speakers there to mount the crossovers in? They look like they could be kinda tricky to mount...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    I do not...

What would be tricky about it?
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    I see what might be tricky...

Looks like I might only have 5" of play here till I might run into a port!

Interesting - requesting pictures from the owner with measurements now...

Maybe remote mount the tweeter network! :)
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2012
    VR3 wrote: »
    I see what might be tricky...

Looks like I might only have 5" of play here till I might run into a port!

Interesting - requesting pictures from the owner with measurements now...

Maybe remote mount the tweeter network! :)

Yup lol they almost require either external mounting or having the cabinet to mount in as well. Big PITA as a result IMHO.
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Well the enclosure is 13 3/8 - I assume by pictures the part is center mounted and the port is probably no bigger than 2.5" - that leaves me roughly 5.18 of mounting depth - lots of assuming here...

If that is the case, I am currently at exactly 5"

So I stop NOW, cut the rods - we can remote mount the tweeter network which should be easy as pie...

Basically drop in the crossover and either hot glue or velcro the tweeter network into place - you would have to remove the woofer to do it...

We will make it happen! :)
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Just read there is only 2.5" of clearance..

Wowzers..

Time to take a step back and punt!

@_@
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited July 2012
    Keep pluggin...I am rooting for you for selfish reasons :cheesygrin:
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Already for a solution - just waiting for a confirmation! :)

Going to do a 6x8 breadboard, going to do a stack for the midbass/woofer network and layout the tweeter network around it - use rubber feet to suspend it off the cabinet walls and mount it right above the woofer - should have plenty of space! :)
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited July 2012
    I was wondering if there is a point where one would be better off abandoning the original crossover mount on the terminal cup and make a new PC board? It seems that there would be plenty of room to mount a board on the back wall. On smaller enclosures is it ok to go external?
    Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    external would drastically increase the costs of the modifications...

Going with a remote mounted perfboard seems to be the way to go
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    We are pretty sure this configuration will work...
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Looks like the above configuration mounted on the rear or front wall is going to be the winner!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2012
    I have some pics I can post later that may help. You can search for them too, I've posted them here before.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    After many back and forth emails, a phone call and a few MS Paint diagrams I believe this is the winner for this first LSi15 modification...

A mirrior imaged set of these crossovers will fit perfectly in the midbass enclosure.. :)!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2012
    Here's what I ended up with. Not very easy to shoehorn inside, but it worked.

LSi15%20Crossover%20After.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Very nice!

Yep...

Given the budget of the owner I believe these turned out well...

If another $150-200 was thrown at them it would be cool to replace the inductors and larger values straight up... :)
  • cbow8
    cbow8 Posts: 306
    edited July 2012
    i just found this thread!!! why didnt you tell me trey lol??. im working on paying those new monos bud let me see what i can scrounge up id like to take these things all the way!!! going to be my two channel speakers for a while sooo i want them bad a***
  • cbow8
    cbow8 Posts: 306
    edited July 2012
    and..... you know shi*** getting deep when you have to bust out the paint program to draw up some blue prints hahahah. was a bit of work but truely fun. i enjoyed this project and your a nice fella to work with. im really excited for everythign to be home and running on new amps!!!
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Mirror imaged pair!

Just gotta attach the driver wire and test these bad boys out! :)
    Pair.jpg 141.2K
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Free air test..

SOUNDS GREAT!
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    This is not my cleanest modification unfortunately just because all of the component were mounted and I had to unmount them and start over -

However, I walk away with a modification anyone can install in their speakers, period...

So... yeah!
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited September 2012
    Nice looking components; should be an easy install.
  • VR3
    edited March 2013
    My official internal LSi15 modification, woofer network! :)
  • VR3
    edited March 2013
    Tweeter network, nice and compact
  • VR3
    edited March 2013
    Testing!