Sad day for Apple Music and Spotify users

Apple Music and Spotify users, these are dark times for us. I may have to cancel my Apple Music account as I do not know what i'll listen to now. Whatever shall I do? How will I recover from such horrible news like this?

1ps6c4h1gxtl.jpeg

#extremesarcasm
No excuses!

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    It's the Spotifypocalypse!
    -- or maybe the Applepocalypse.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Those are my two favorite aminals!
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Probably needs to juice up tidal or whatever its called....must be failing bad
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    I should have put a clearer warning in my OP, warning of the extreme level of sarcasm so y'all don't slip and fall on it.

Tidal is failing miserably and Jay Z can't help but whine about it, claiming Apple, Spotify and others are not playing fairly. Sorry dude...it's called BUSINESS! Tidal is the equivalent of Microsoft trying to enter the smartphone business.

Tidal claims people want to pay a premium for high bit rate music streaming, but the streaming market doesn't care about high bit rate. Maybe several hundred on the Polk Forum cares, but millions of streaming customers don't.

Besides, there's no bit rate high enough to make his music listenable.
    No excuses!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Some bands have also not let Tidal use their material for streaming like Metallica
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I could care less.
    I use Apple Music to find music I want to buy. It's a great preview tool so I can finally in my life stop buying albums with one good song.
    To this day I still prefer to buy the CD and then rip it lossless.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Still a CD guy too, and then rip to lossless using Jriver. Works for me.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I should have put a clearer warning in my OP, warning of the extreme level of sarcasm so y'all don't slip and fall on it.

Tidal is failing miserably and Jay Z can't help but whine about it, claiming Apple, Spotify and others are not playing fairly. Sorry dude...it's called BUSINESS! Tidal is the equivalent of Microsoft trying to enter the smartphone business.

Tidal claims people want to pay a premium for high bit rate music streaming, but the streaming market doesn't care about high bit rate. Maybe several hundred on the Polk Forum cares, but millions of streaming customers don't.

Last time I checked, they are all failing to turn a profit, including Spotify, since most (about 2/3) of their "subscribers" are using the free account. For now, the music streaming business isn't viable, but obviously, its the way things are going so folks are trying to make $$$ on it. And I think Jay-Z has a point: the only way to possibly make a profit is to completely screw the artists. And for those of us who like music, that's a bad thing right?

Tidal does pay a little better, even though it's very hard to get good data on it.

As people caring about lossless streaming, as of a year ago Tidal had 1.35 million "hifi" subscribers, which while palling in comparison to Spotify's numbers, certainly greatly exceeds the "few hundred" Polk members you cite.

I for one really like Tidal, use it every day for hours a day for both background and critical listening (although I don't have all that much time for the latter), but I also would like artists to get paid, and realize that streaming probably isn't a sustainable model. So it will be interesting to see how this all pans out in 5-10 years...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    With as many people that listen to streaming music these days they need to charge companies more money to advertise and/or increase the amount of ads on the free accounts than they are if they're losing so much money. Having ads more often would generate more income as well as entice more listeners to pay for an ad free account.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Streaming seems to be doing well. Too bad it is mostly low-fi.

"Music streaming services accounted for the majority of all music revenues in the U.S. in 2016 for the first time ever, according to recent data released by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). A report published by the RIAA said that estimated retail revenue from recorded music in the U.S. grew by 11.4% in 2016 to $7.7 billion, and streaming music accounted for 51% of that revenue."

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/04/05/music-streaming-platforms-now-bring-in-the-most-re.aspx
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    DSkip wrote: »
    Tidal needs to stop targeting the hip hop crowd that doesn't give a rats **** about quality. The marketing is all wrong and thy can't see that.

Tidal advertises? I don't think I've ever seen or heard a single advertisement for any music streaming service to be honest with you.

• Nightfall
    edited April 2017
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Why this isn't on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN, etc. etc. etc. This is massive news...real big insanely HUGE news! The masses should know...or at least his three fans :)

He has sold 55 million albums so far.

I'm not a fan of rap, really, but I still appreciate the talent that a lot of rappers have even if others think it's talentless music.

• andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Seems like a sensible business strategy.
    This is fallacious.
    This is subjective.
    Nightfall wrote: »

I'm not a fan of rap, really, but I still appreciate the talent that a lot of rappers have even if others think it's talentless music.
    This is the truth.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I don't listen to JayZ, but there are lots of rappers and hip hop artists who are incredible musicians, and um, artists. Check this video out. This dude is ridiculous.

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/12/489769830/anderson-paak-the-free-nationals-tiny-desk-concert
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited April 2017
    I am a big fan of Tidal. I don't listen to hip-hop but they have most of the music I have looked for. Besides competition is good for everyone. Streaming is here to stay. We need more HiRez options.
    Carl

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Nightfall wrote: »
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Why this isn't on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN, etc. etc. etc. This is massive news...real big insanely HUGE news! The masses should know...or at least his three fans :)

But **** Z isn’t one one of them..
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Most streaming services don't make money and neither do the artists.
    While streaming can potentially open new artists up to a wide audience, song placement on film or TV or a successful concert tour are the only real ways to make money as an artist.
    As with many industries, the business model has changed in favor of the consumer.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Interesting thread to resurrect after one year for a first post. Trying to sell those products in your links?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    This is absolutely spam, ignore it
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I wish Jay Z would pull the trigger on a gun pointed at his head. After wiping-out the Kardashians, the Jenners, and Kanye West, of course. :p
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I wish Jay Z would pull the trigger on a gun pointed at his head. After wiping-out the Kardashians, the Jenners, and Kanye West, of course. :p

Don't hold back tell us how you really feel.
  • Viking64
    Willow wrote: »
    Don't hold back tell us how you really feel.

"The Beverly Hillbillies" is better than "Green Acres", which is better than "Petticoat Junction".
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Hosanna
    Hey Sanna Sanna Sanna Hosanna
    Hey Sanna Hosanna
    Hey JZ, JZ won't you smile at me?
    Sanna Hosanna
    Hey Superstar
  • Viking64
    Hosanna
    Hey Sanna Sanna Sanna Hosanna
    Hey Sanna Hosanna
    Hey JZ, JZ won't you smile at me?
    Sanna Hosanna
    Hey Superstar

Tell the rabble to be quiet,
    We anticipate a riot,
    This common crowd...................I better stop there. :p
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Green Acres was the best, man.
  • Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Green Acres was the best, man.

Well, maybe when Mr. Haney had the racing monkeys. :p

Eb is no match for Jethro, though, in the dumb department. Lisa Douglas was fine, but maybe a bit too snooty. Plus, Elly May loved animals. And her father was rich. And let's face it: Beverly Hills is better than Hooterville, regardless of what the name implies. HAHAHAHAHAHA