SDA Wooden End Caps or Re-Veneer Suggestions

Comments

• nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    Just let me know! I'd be happy to do them.

Nik
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Sorry to get back to you so late. Yes mine were deeply water stained and I'm guessing some sun bleaching also because there was little of the original varnish left. The directions on the axolic acid box was to do an entire deck surface. Not a good idea for the end caps they would warp by the time it dried2sszg9ng0znq.jpg
    1myd2sti1ui7.jpg
    . F-i NUT helped me through this process of mixing the acid w/ water to a paste consistency, apply to effected areas then let dry. Clean up the dried crystals ,tack cloth them, some minor sanding and they were ready for the stain. The picture on the 1st page was w/o the clear poly and once that was done a nice sheen was laid down
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    I feel I'd be doing a disservice to Larry, our own Toolfan66 (of "Larry's Rings" fame!), if I didn't post a few pics of my SDA-1Cs. He did an incredible job, the finest I've seen, on their end caps prior to my acquiring them. The originals were replaced with stained hardwood ones.

39y7xm9t7gd4.jpg

52u49mqo6szm.jpg

utnwjqhz9t82.jpg

nu62asyzgy17.jpg

They're still in pristine condition and would work, style-wise, in just about any room with pretty much any décor.

• Those really are magnificent. He did a wonderful job. I like the dark stain.
    Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Those look superb!
  • teekay0007
    edited January 2016
    uld3ngq5h6ow.jpg

Where did you get that rack? I really like the looks of that too.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056

teekay0007 wrote: »
    I feel I'd be doing a disservice to Larry, our own Toolfan66 (of "Larry's Rings" fame!), if I didn't post a few pics of my SDA-1Cs. He did an incredible job, the finest I've seen, on their end caps prior to my acquiring them. The originals were replaced with stained hardwood ones.

39y7xm9t7gd4.jpg

52u49mqo6szm.jpg

utnwjqhz9t82.jpg

nu62asyzgy17.jpg

They're still in pristine condition and would work, style-wise, in just about any room with pretty much any décor.

Terry finally I get to see those 1C's, I was wondering if pictures of those beauties were ever going to surface. I tell ya when we hooked up for breakfast last fall me and Skyler would of loved to have checked them out, had we not had time constraints. I see a lot of sexy end caps here and those piano black tops of the OPs are also drop dead gorgeous.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    70l9289lgz68.jpg
    6brkt9u77cvd.jpg

Here are the end caps that Ryan ( ZLTFUL ) did on my Z edition 2.3tls. Just took em Christ I had to tiptoe this I'm 6'4 these 2.3tls are some pretty big speakers.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Conradicles
    uld3ngq5h6ow.jpg

I think Walmart online. It is currently in my media closet holding all of my H/T gear.
  • teekay0007
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Here are the end caps that Ryan ( ZLTFUL ) did on my Z edition 2.3tls. Just took em Christ I had to tiptoe this I'm 6'4 these 2.3tls are some pretty big speakers.

Steve, those 2.3TL end caps look great! Ryan did a nice job on them. I'm glad you were able to pick them up last year. I'm hoping they are bringing Bieber, Manilow and Newton-John right there into the room with you, like you wanted! >:)

• teekay0007
    uld3ngq5h6ow.jpg

I think Walmart online. It is currently in my media closet holding all of my H/T gear.

How's the quality on it? Good, solid stuff? Or, does it have 'Walmart' written all over it? Do you have a model number? I see they sell a ton of different ones.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Naked :)mvi78vk1jjn5.jpeg
    Randy/Maine
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Naked :)mvi78vk1jjn5.jpeg

I'm offended
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Conradicles
    Still trying to decide what to do to my SDA SRS 2 end caps. Anybody know a good source for real wood caps, kind of like esoteric cutting boards? I know real wood can crack, but still it looks amazing.
  • Conradicles
    Man both of those are inspiring!
  • TCK
    TCK Posts: 231
    They all look great, makes me want to redo mine. My 2Bs look good, just a little dull. How hard are those caps to get off and what method(s) did you use?
    - SDA 2B (1989, Oak Tops, 194s, Spikes)
    - Monitor 7B (1982 Peerless, Sonicaps, Mills, Dynamated, JB Welded, Binding Posts)
    - SVS SB12-NSD (2 in Flat Black)
    - SVS SB 3000 (Gloss Black)
    - Pioneer SC-1222K AVR
    - Marantz MM 7055 (5 Ch Amp)
    - Pioneer PD-D6 SACD Player
    - Marantz NR1403 AVR
    - Sony UBP-X800M2 (4k Blu-ray)
    - Sony UBP-X1100ES (4K Blu-ray)
    - Adcom GFA 555
    - Monitor 5 (194s, Side Surrounds)
    - Monitor 5Jr+ (194s)
    - LG OLED65CXPUA (4K OLED TV)
    - LG 55UN7300PUF (4K HD TV)
    - RT35i (Cherry)
    - CS400 (Center)
    - CS350 (Center)
    - F/Xi A4 (Rear Surrounds)
    - RT25 (Rear Surrounds)
    - Audioquest Cables

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain " LG
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited March 2017
    wv506b6xhpgf.jpg
    I did the 2.3's and SRS by Removing the top drivers and PR ,undoing the 8 nuts internally and the caps come straight off,Everything on the caps was removed and reused on the new ones!
    The SRS caps were done with another Australian hard wood "jarrah"q7g8k6k7jt8x.jpg
    eyrtt0mh64kr.jpg
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Did you do these yourself?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited March 2017
    never thought I'd say this to a dude... that's some sweet wood. ^^^^^^
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Those are beautiful.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    TCK wrote: »
    They all look great, makes me want to redo mine. My 2Bs look good, just a little dull. How hard are those caps to get off and what method(s) did you use?

2B end caps are glued and stapled. You have to carefully pry them off, start at the rear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    ptrooper wrote: »
    wv506b6xhpgf.jpg
    I did the 2.3's and SRS by Removing the top drivers and PR ,undoing the 8 nuts internally and the caps come straight off,Everything on the caps was removed and reused on the new ones!
    The SRS caps were done with another Australian hard wood "jarrah"q7g8k6k7jt8x.jpg
    eyrtt0mh64kr.jpg

I like!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    70l9289lgz68.jpg
    6brkt9u77cvd.jpg

Those 2.3TL's have been around a bit. They started with @trav0810 who brought them to my house and swapped them with @ZLTFUL for a set of upgraded RTA15TL's, and then obviously they went to you.

Its fun to know see some of the provenance of the speakers around here, though none can compare to the Threshold amps of @txcoastal1 which were owned by Matt Polk
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I really regret selling my 2.3TLs to @gudnoyez but really couldn't have asked for a better person to buy them...as long as he understands that I have first dibs if he decides to sell em! ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • TCK
    TCK Posts: 231
    Thanks @ptrooper , nice work, takes them to a new level of cool. I wish my ends were that easy, looks like mine are the "pita" kind to get off

F1nut wrote: »
    TCK wrote: »

2B end caps are glued and stapled. You have to carefully pry them off, start at the rear.

Thanks @F1nut , that would have been quite a surprise. Good to know.

Great to see all the exterior mods.
    - SDA 2B (1989, Oak Tops, 194s, Spikes)
    - Monitor 7B (1982 Peerless, Sonicaps, Mills, Dynamated, JB Welded, Binding Posts)
    - SVS SB12-NSD (2 in Flat Black)
    - SVS SB 3000 (Gloss Black)
    - Pioneer SC-1222K AVR
    - Marantz MM 7055 (5 Ch Amp)
    - Pioneer PD-D6 SACD Player
    - Marantz NR1403 AVR
    - Sony UBP-X800M2 (4k Blu-ray)
    - Sony UBP-X1100ES (4K Blu-ray)
    - Adcom GFA 555
    - Monitor 5 (194s, Side Surrounds)
    - Monitor 5Jr+ (194s)
    - LG OLED65CXPUA (4K OLED TV)
    - LG 55UN7300PUF (4K HD TV)
    - RT35i (Cherry)
    - CS400 (Center)
    - CS350 (Center)
    - F/Xi A4 (Rear Surrounds)
    - RT25 (Rear Surrounds)
    - Audioquest Cables

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain " LG
  • Conradicles
    ptrooper wrote: »
    tops to my 2.3s's.....west australian timber,very hard wood "Marri"b8y9roovx89n.jpg
    seu5zgqxe4dd.jpg
    h2ws4iunepoc.jpg

@ptrooper These would match my man cave totally! Link to where you got them?
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    @conradicles.
    woodworkings.com.au
    08 94598115
    15-17 carole rd,Maddington Western Australia 6109
    Photos never show justice,,these look fire trucking hot in person.