Wiring my RT1000i's sub woofer

BBUBBA
BBUBBA Posts: 66
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Say I have a question about wiring my RT1000i's . Right now I have them wired I would say normal .Speaker cable to the binding posts with the jumper plates attached. I though after reading and rereading the instructions that if I ran LFE to the line level input (for sub) or sub woofer. It would work with the binding post jumpers removed. Well no Bass out of sub. I thought it would run like a sub woofer. Well I missed something or ??????
I know I can get deeper bass out of them, because right now they are being cut off at the sub woofer crossover frequency.

If anyone can help ...................please :confused:
Post edited by BBUBBA on

Comments

• lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited April 2002
    Turn your receiver's LFE setting to Main's (and the Mains to LARGE) and then have two RCA cables from the front left/right preouts to the LFE input on the RT1000i's. But remember, the driver is only 6.5" and is powered by only 85 watts (I think, well whatever, you get the point), so you won't get room shaking, foundation moving bass from the towers. Good luck.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Are you getting bass in movies? If so, it's probably the way that your receiver handles bass management. In that case, do what Lax says assuming you have a receiver with L&R preouts. Still, I don't see why you'd want to use RCA cables for your hookup.

Aaron
  • BBUBBA
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by lax01
    Turn your receiver's LFE setting to Main's (and the Mains to LARGE) and then have two RCA cables from the front left/right preouts to the LFE input on the RT1000i's. But remember, the driver is only 6.5" and is powered by only 85 watts (I think, well whatever, you get the point), so you won't get room shaking, foundation moving bass from the towers. Good luck.

ok I understand what you are saying . However I disconnected everything. Except the towers, trying to get the towers subs to work like a regular sub. I ran the LFE output from receiver to the RCA sub input, with the jumper plates removed and the main speaker cable hooked up to the upper binding posts. No Bass output. Disconnected the RCA input cable, put jumper plates back in place and bass output. Not to say I would run them like this I was trying it as a optional hook up to hear if I might like the way it sounds. ????????? Shouldn't the towers subs work like a regular sub??????

confuessed:rolleyes:
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited April 2002
    Hi:

Unconnect everything from your RT1000s. Run speaker wire from your receivers speaker out A and B to the 1000s. Make sure the jumper is in and they are plugged in. Set the sub volumn to around 1 Oclock and enjoy. The sub will act like it should , just use the volumn control on the sub for the amount of bass you desire.

That is the way they should be set up. If you want more bass get a dedicated sub.

Gary
  • rsfrid
    rsfrid Posts: 8
    edited April 2002
    That's how I set up my RTi100's to get best base. I too was confused - the "powered subs" in the towers aren't really subs at all (well, they function as subs) but are meant to work in tandom with the rest of the speakers. Now I need to get a dedicated subwoofer.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited April 2002
    The Rt1000i's always needed a sub to go with them.The sub built in just help's them hit harder and lower.Don't bother with the line level to them as this just makes a wire mess with no tonal improvement's.Take the jumper's out and make your own out of the same speaker wire you use, or bi wire them.Both ways work well.
    Setting the sub at 1 oclock is quit high, you want to sub to blend in perfectly with the rest of the speaker, not overpower it.Iset mine at 9 oclock and the hit hard and blend quit well.
    A good sub to go with these speaker's is the psw450.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited April 2002
    I actually found that using the line level gave me a more consistent sound, but it is your ear that needs to make the final decision. I would also be careful how high you set the volume on the speaker amp. If it is set too high the sound will be muddy. If you have the extra money pickup a setup DVD and SPL, it does make a difference. Hope this helps.
  • lax01
    edited April 2002
    Okay, listen up, for me this works and sounds great. I hook up my RT1000i's using speaker cable to the top terminals and then send a RCA cable from the LEFT AND RIGHT PREOUTS, not the LFE PREOUT !!! !!!! !!!!!, I get good bass, but I also have a sub to take go deeper. So please don't say not to do it this way, because it probably works the same as biwiring it or your ways of doing it.

Thank you.
  • Aaron
    edited April 2002
    So please don't say not to do it this way, because it probably works the same as biwiring it or your ways of doing it.
    Well geez, that's the most technical explanation I've ever heard!

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Perhaps Trubluc or some such can chime in with a good limerick to set us straight on this topic?????

Cheers,
    Russ

SERENITY NOW!!!!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • lax01
    edited April 2002
    Well, sorry I kind of forgot your way of doing it and really didn't feel like looking through all the posts to find it. I was just trying to explain to him a different way of connecting the speaker. To say it is incorrect is wrong because it works for me.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    bbubba; go with lfe rca out to rt-1000, take jumpers off , run mains,center,& surounds small. you will get all the lows going to the rt-1000 subs
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Aaron
    edited April 2002
    We just got done telling him that was not the best way to do it.

Aaron
  • BBUBBA
    edited April 2002
    ok ,

the real problem is that I'm using a Sony receiver! The bass management is not very flexable. Limits options. Can't run mains at full range, and no pre-amp outs. I am deciding on a new Receiver. Looks like Denon. But I have made final decission yet.
    Thanks for all the input.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    sorry aaron, i missed that one.

bbubba if you get a new receiver make sure it haves all of the pre outs thats one of the most importain features i think you can get.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.