a little confused

earnest poole
earnest poole Posts: 22
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
:confused:
I am not sure if I am as pleased with my setup as I should be.

Receiver, Denon Avr-2802
Front Mains, RT-800i's
Center, CS-400i
Surrounds, RT-35i's
DVD, Sony DVP-NS700P

I have the 800's bi-wired with 14awg AR wire as well as the 400.I am using the same wire on 35's with direct wire connection to the receiver on all of them and AR gold pins on all of the speakers.I am using AR optical cables from the dvd player,AR digital coax. from the digital cable box and AR RCA's from the TV.So thats what I got and it sounds pretty good but i was expecting more.I anybody thinks they know what I could do to improve what I have I would love to hear it.I dont have a sub yet but I am planning on a HSU Vtf-2 soon

Thanks alot
Post edited by earnest poole on

Comments

• schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited April 2002
    What are you not happy with? Is it not clear enough, loud enough?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2002
    Yeah ernest,

what are you not satisfied with? your set up sounds okay.. what is the wpc rating on your receiver? How long have you had this set up? I think over time we become accoustomed to the sound our systems put out and want more from them.. sounds like you did the bi wiring correct.
    but give us an idea what the problem is.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    add a seperate amp to your denon receiver main outs and the rt-800i will open up to match your cs-400i center and you can get a better matching system, if you can add even another amp for the surounds and it will all open up, the sound stage.will get deeper & wider. then you will get happy about your systems sound.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited April 2002
    I personally don't see the problem except for the fact that you don't have the HSU yet. :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    I think it's a fine setup.Whats wrong with it???
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    I dont have a sub yet but I am planning on a HSU Vtf-2 soon
    This would be a huge problem with me. Like nite and day. Even with my rt1000's I still gots to have plenty of bass. Movies and music alike. The room has to have some shaking going on. It's like having a car setup. If I turn my two 10" Polk EX's off -- there goes like half the sound.:eek:
  • earnest poole
    edited April 2002
    My receiver is 90Wx6 and I have only had the set up for about three months I bought it all at the same time.I think that the problem I am having with it is that it does not sound as life like as i expected it to.I guess I was expecting it to sound just like the movie theatre but it doesn't
  • schumach
    edited April 2002
    How do you have your speakers setup on the receiver (large or small)?
  • earnest poole
    edited April 2002
    I have the center and front speakers set to large and the rears set to small.I don't have a rear center or a sub yet so their set to none.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    I guess I was expecting it to sound just like the movie theatre but it doesn't
    It shouldn't sound like a movie theater; it should sound better. I definitely agree with LAX and Scott about getting a subwoofer. It makes all the difference in the world. Let's take a step back from the home theater aspect of it. Are you happy with the quality of the sound when you listen to regular music? If not, then the problem lies outside the realm of the home theater setup. Perhaps the room acoustics are bad. Tell us about the size and shape of the room, type of walls, objects in the room, etc. It's also possible that you just don't like the sound of Polk speakers. What else did you audition before you made your purchase?

Aaron
  • schumach
    edited April 2002
    To add to Aaron’s questions. Where do you have your speakers?

Have you used a calibration DVD and SPL to setup the speakers?
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    Earnest, I have a very similar setup (Denon2802, 800i's, 400i) except that I have the F/X 500i's, and they're employed as side surrounds. Do you have your 35i's to the rear of you, or at your sides? People seem to prefer the 35i's in the rear (not that there is anything wrong with that). Also, and this is the biggest difference, I fully believe that once you get a decent sub (the HSU CERTAINLY qualifies) you & your system will be singing a different tune.

Aaron's right, it should, and I bet will, sound better than a movie theater once you've got your sub and whatever other kinks worked out. I have everything set to small and crossed over at 100Hz's. I honestly think that 80Hz is too low for your (and my) speakers. Some people might argue that, but my experience has been that a sub handles the 80-100Hz's better than our speakers. The RT55i's are a different story. The 800i's & 35i's are wonderful speakers above 100Hz. Get the sub and you will live a long and happy life. Just one man's opinion.
  • earnest poole
    edited April 2002
    OK I Have the worst apartment you could imaging when it comes to setting up a home theatre. The entertainment center has to set in a corner wich puts the 800s right on each side of it facing the couch wich is up against the wall so the 35s are on 28 inch high stands sitting at each end of the couch facing the listing position wich put them right about ear level when sitting .And because the entertaiment center is in a corner you have to set at one end of the couch to be setting in the center of the TV and the 800s so that means one 35 is right in your ear.I set the distance setting on the receiver to the distance of each speaker while sitting on the end of the couch or in the middle so to speak. I bought a spl meter from radio shack and adjusted all of the levels to about 84db from the main listing position.And no I havent got a chance to use a set up or calibration disc yet. I hope this is what yall needed to know to help me out.I'll be happy to anwser all you got , I need the help.:cool: