Acoustic foam tiles on sale

Options
2»

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,070
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I ordered corrugated cardboard to mount them to. I am not sure how I will attach them to the walls. Anyone have any good ideas?

I used a hotmelt glue gun and so far so good. I had to reposition a couple panels after the glue dried and it can be done but not recommended.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,290
    Options
    oh, yeah -- derp :# -- you mentioned that, didn't you?
    That seems like a reasonable choice :)
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I ordered corrugated cardboard to mount them to. I am not sure how I will attach them to the walls. Anyone have any good ideas?

I used a hotmelt glue gun and so far so good. I had to reposition a couple panels after the glue dried and it can be done but not recommended.

I am going to mount the foam on the corrugated cardboard then attach them to the wall with Velcro dots. This should work, placement is going to be the hard part.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    What's the value-add for the corrugated cardboard substrate?
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    The cardboard allows you to easily mount one item to the wall instead of 6-12 individual square foot tiles, depending on your chosen configuration/need.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ahhh, that makes sense!

I was thinking of a "pointilist" application of individual squares, thus my perplexity.

Thanks.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    How do these panels compare to a diy panel made with fiberglass insulation like Roxul safe n sound or owens corning for first reflection points ?
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    Options
    I have become a fan of the 3M Command Adhesive products. Easy to hang something, easy to take it down. So far, it hasn't left damage behind.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Command-Large-Picture-Hanging-Strips-Value-Pack-17206-6ES/205360679

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    ^^^ +-1; I bought the above but haven't got around to trying them yet.
    Still playing around with placement, though 20 degrees is 20 degrees for
    the first reflection point.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I haven't used that one yet; I do like the 3M version of "super-Velcro", though:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-in-x-3-in-Clear-Extreme-Fasteners-RF6730/204465391

Probably a bit -- extreme -- for the titular application of this thread, though :)

As to Roxul products -- they're 'spensive, aren't they?
    The titular product(s) is/are cheep.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I have become a fan of the 3M Command Adhesive products. Easy to hang something, easy to take it down. So far, it hasn't left damage behind.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Command-Large-Picture-Hanging-Strips-Value-Pack-17206-6ES/205360679

Cheers, Jim

Thanks Jim I am going to try these. Are they reusable?
  • Gerres26
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I haven't used that one yet; I do like the 3M version of "super-Velcro", though:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-in-x-3-in-Clear-Extreme-Fasteners-RF6730/204465391

Probably a bit -- extreme -- for the titular application of this thread, though :)

As to Roxul products -- they're 'spensive, aren't they?
    The titular product(s) is/are cheep.

The Roxul products are definitely a little more expensive but i was just wondering if these cheap foam panels will be comparable performance wise. I dont have any room treatments and im a little cheap lol but i want to get some first reflection points covered that will work.

So does anyone have any experience with similar products as to whether these will work for my intended use?

Thanks
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,070
    Options
    Any treatments are better than none imo. I'm also thinking they're like most everything else in life where the more you spend the better the product. I splurged and used the 2'' thick panels as I can't see the 1'' panels doing much of anything unless you coat the entire room in them.
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 570
    Options
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    How do these panels compare to a diy panel made with fiberglass insulation like Roxul safe n sound or owens corning for first reflection points ?

No comparison. Thin foam can only help with the slap echo from bare open walls. Yes, better than nothing.

Good stuff, like OC, is much more broadband in its effect. That's really what you want in this kind of stuff.

I've working with treatments for a looong time. I wouldn't touch foam for nothing. I've thrown it away.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."

More amazing Internet Science Pink Panther wisdom..."My DAC has since been upgraded from Mark Levinson to Topping."
  • Gerres26
    Options
    CoolJazz wrote: »
    Gerres26 wrote: »

No comparison. Thin foam can only help with the slap echo from bare open walls. Yes, better than nothing.

Good stuff, like OC, is much more broadband in its effect. That's really what you want in this kind of stuff.

I've working with treatments for a looong time. I wouldn't touch foam for nothing. I've thrown it away.

CJ

Ok, thanks for the heads up. Thats the info i was looking for...i didnt want to waste money even though im sure its better than nothing.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    That's why I went with the 96 panel deal. Considerably less and can double them up, at least that's the plan.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    so is that a 12 foot padded cell then... >:)
  • kharp1
    Options
    No sir, it's 11'6" by 12.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    so is that a 12 foot padded cell then... >:)

-- but it sounds good.
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    Options
    afterburnt,

The 3M Command strips aren't reusable. Once removed from the wall, you toss them. But with the heavy duty stuff I linked to, the piece on the picture frame (or whatever) can still be used with a new piece on the wall. And the pieces on the wall appear to me to be identical to the ones you use on the picture frame.

IIRC, the Command adhesive hooks come with an extra adhesive strip, just in case of error, or perhaps later re-use of the hook.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    speaking of:

Wall treatment schemes
    Adhesive options

This -- interesting new product, I think, may present some new options in wall treatments.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nimuno-loops-the-toy-block-tape#/

Lego-compatible adhesive tape.

Just imagine three-dimensional Lego wall treatments.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I use several 2x4 2 inch pyramid foam in my room. I hot glued card board to the back, then used small picture nails to mount them to the wall (one on each corner). They aren't going anywhere and can be removed and repositioned easily while only leaving tiny holes behind.

The small nails can barely be seen.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I bought two 24 packs . Third party seller. Not Walmart. . Went in a different direction,so took to Walmart to return. They refused because of the third party vendor. So I thought . WTF? Called them for an RMA. They said just keep them and they will issue me a refund of funds. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • kharp1
    Options
    I had a slight issue with my purchase form the Walmart website and Walmart wanted no part it. Finally got it worked out through the third party, but, that's what I get for dealing with the **** known as Walmart. Should have known better.
  • alexmusic
    alexmusic Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello

I have been recording music in my home studio for a year now, I want to make my music quality better

But I don't understand microphones for recording music.

Help me choose a new microphone, here are a few options: Shure SM57, Audix D6, Sennheiser

Found a review of Best Microphones For Home Studio
    What to choose?
    Thanks friends

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,800
    Options
    yea right spammer …. BE GONE