Soundproof a pocket door

I'm planning to install a pocket door on our "game room" which is where I mostly listen to tunes. I think I will build a hollow core door and fill it with sound deadening material. Considering that the door cavity will be 1.5" wide at most, what would be the best material to use? Roxul?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    I have solid core doors through out my house, blocks sound real well
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    VR3 wrote: »
    I have solid core doors through out my house, blocks sound real well

^^^This. By the time you buy all material associated, you could have bought a slab and been done in an hour+-.

Pocket doors probably aren't the tightest meaning there is the untreated void in the wall cavity where sound can easily travel. Maybe you can gasket that as well???
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    Yeah, I should have sealed that cavity and installed the pocket door when the walls were open.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Mass & an air tight seal are what determines the STC of any particular surface. Is an air tight seal even possible on a pocket door?
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Mass & an air tight seal are what determines the STC of any particular surface. Is an air tight seal even possible on a pocket door?

You'll never achieve the seal on a pocket door but you can at least slow it down...possibly.
    There aren't any systems, that i know of, but some mickey mouse rigging can be deployed.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Not sure you can really seal a pocket door
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Star trek did it....right?

I would use a solid core door. Big difference in sound not being able to penetrate, but it will still get around the edges or gap easily.

Our media room in our one house has a pocket door, and it was not really able to be effectively quieted enough, even with the Solid core heavy door.
    We Eventually installed a 2nd solid core swinging door, about 6 foot down the small corridor that led to the media room, that could be closed when almost total quiet was needed. That made a huge impact in reducing most all of the sound.

So like dual doors, spaced about 5-6 feet apart and we just leave both open usually unless we have some fairly loud movie going.
    At first it was cumbersome, but now we grew used to the look of that set up.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    DSkip wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Not sure you can really seal a pocket door

I've seen enough Sci-Fi movies to know that you can. >:)

Poisonous gas is one thing.....sound quite another.. :#