why is cable lengths in meters

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I wish we had switched to the metric system. I can count to 10.

Lies. You can count to six or twelve. If there are still beers in the case nobody counts. That only happens when it's empty.

Twenty four hours in a day.
    Twenty four beers in a case.
    Coincidence?
    I think not.

18 Pack now made for golfers no?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    When it comes to wire, we sell some in meters and some in feet on the website. It really depends on the manufacturer. Some sell and price in meters and some sell and price in feet. But I'll sell you cable lengths in any measurement you want! millimeters, centimeters, inches, feet, yards, meters, You name it. :)

Well you da man Doug but we all already knew that.

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    mantis wrote: »
    It's all madness, if we just went Metric like the entire rest of the world, our lives would be so much easier.

I have to disagree. I work at a machine shop and when we get a blue print that's in metric its a pain in the a$$. 95% of our blue prints from customers are in inch's. All our measuring tools, calipers, micrometers, depth mic's are in inch's. We have to covert a blue prints from metric to inch's in order to even make and inspect the parts.

On top of that the customer accepts that we convert to inch's and send the parts to them with an Inspection Report that is in inch's.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    gce wrote: »
    It's all madness, if we just went Metric like the entire rest of the world, our lives would be so much easier.

I have to disagree. I work at a machine shop and when we get a blue print that's in metric its a pain in the a$$. 95% of our blue prints from customers are in inch's. All our measuring tools, calipers, micrometers, depth mic's are in inch's. We have to covert a blue prints from metric to inch's in order to even make and inspect the parts.

On top of that the customer accepts that we convert to inch's and send the parts to them with an Inspection Report that is in inch's.
    Now Imagine just living in just Metric. All Metric measurement, tools everything.
    When I was a Auto Technician for Nissan, everything was Metric. When I worked on Pontiac, it was a mix of both metric and Imperial. So you had to guess which one it was by looking at it by size , then trying Metric and Imperial to see which one fit better. I hated that. Not to mention having to own tools Both Metric and Imperial took up a lot of extra space in my tool box.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    That's because the parts of the car are being made outside the USA and imported. It's not new news that many products have a mix of standards.

Globalization does that right ? You get a mix of everything. Nature of the beast to have to have tools for it all.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2017

Sure, converting FROM metric to inches would be a pain.

But if everything was metric it would be quite easy.
    Most engineers and manufacturing only use metric. What type of parts are you making that require "inches", that seems unusual, as Most anything manufactured, assembled or designed, is measured in Metric, as it is usually more precise and universally used.
  • gce
    K_M wrote: »
    Most engineers and manufacturing only use metric.

Maybe in your world. I've worked at this same shop for 34 years and I can maybe only count on one hand how many company's we've had that use metric.

We make parts for Eaton, Beckman, Newport (in Ireland), Turbonetics, Varco, just to name a few and none of these supply us with prints with dimension in metrics.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I'd love to go just Metric, life would be so much easier. Go buy a 2x4 at the Lumber yard. Go ahead and measure it and see what it really is. It's not 2x4

The 2 x 4 metric equivalent isn't actually 5 x 10 cm either. So much your notion.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gce
    2 X 4's are cut green and shrink when dried. Has nothing to do with metrics.
    Anaheim Hills CA,

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2017
    2 X 4's are cut green and shrink when dried. Has nothing to do with metrics.

And, AFAIK, that has always, or at least long, been the case.

Speaking of temperatures -- remember, when it's really cold, -40 degrees F = -40 degrees C. Brrrrr.

fahrenheit_celsius.gif
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited March 2017
    B) Why do they call it absolute "zero" when it has been given a numerical factor?
    Isn't zero just zero?
  • gce
    lightman1 wrote: »
    B) Why do they call it absolute "zero" when it has been given a numerical factor?
    Isn't zero just zero?

It's absolute because zero is the lowest possible temperature at 459°F and 273°C.
    Anaheim Hills CA,

• mhardy6647
    awww, he knows that ;)

-- and, of course, it is zero on the Kelvin scale.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Double and add 30. Works for me...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    She makes a couple good points.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    -- way up firm and high, as Bob Seeger put it.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    your 1m cable is 200 million beard-seconds long.

Serious bang for buck.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mhardy6647
    agfrost wrote: »

Serious bang for buck.

umm -- OK, I think I decoded this.
    The average (?) growth of male human beard length per unit time = 1 beard second. Apparently, that distance is 1/200,000,000 of a meter or 0.005 microns (if I did the arithmetic right) :*

I like it, a very practical unit ;)
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    nbrowser wrote: »
    When ever I have to much time on my hands I think of stupid sh%t like this. We still live in the U.S and I think we still use feet and inches,calibers for ammo measurements unlike the rest of the world that use meters and wacky conversions like type 303 ammo which equals 30 caliber or a 12.7mm machine gun is 50 caliber. Is there any reason U.S. makers use the universal meter language. Hey thankfully we still drive on the left side.
    Oh, I do have a conversion chart right next to me so I know wtf lengths are talked about.

Simple explanation, there are like 3 or so countries in the world not going metric, the US of A happens to be one of them.

I suppose that's because America values its imperialism!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421

Serious bang for buck.

umm -- OK, I think I decoded this.
    The average (?) growth of male human beard length per unit time = 1 beard second. Apparently, that distance is 1/200,000,000 of a meter or 0.005 microns (if I did the arithmetic right) :*

I like it, a very practical unit ;)

My boys (10 and 13) are big fans of the "MythBusters" TV show. Former host Adam Savage is touring with a science show called Brain Candy--We took the boys (who have March birthdays) as a birthday gift to the Chicago show at the lovely Oriental Theater.

The aforementioned Mr. Savage mentioned that the "beard-second" was his favorite unit of measure, so I thought I'd inject it here. I believe the Google converter will happily convert to/from beard-seconds, so it must be legit.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2017
    tonyp063 wrote: »

Excellent. Excellent.

My boys (10 and 13) are big fans of the "MythBusters" TV show. Former host Adam Savage is touring with a science show called Brain Candy--We took the boys (who have March birthdays) as a birthday gift to the Chicago show at the lovely Oriental Theater.

The aforementioned Mr. Savage mentioned that the "beard-second" was his favorite unit of measure, so I thought I'd inject it here. I believe the Google converter will happily convert to/from beard-seconds, so it must be legit.

Every bit as legit as the Smoot -- which is very well known in our part of the world, at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoot

I would note, wryly, that the Smoot unit was born the same month & year -- as I.
  • gce
    + / - 1 ear. :D
    Anaheim Hills CA,

• helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Tony, it's time for a new car! :o Depending on which hogshead (beer or wine) you are talking about, you are getting at the best 432 gallons to the mile. And I thought my SUV got bad gas milage! :#
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • mhardy6647
    yeah, but it's got a Hemi in it...
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638

jud7am8nmwhw.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2017

jud7am8nmwhw.jpg

:-)

I had a friend in high school with a Dart like that one* ! -- push button A/T and a slant-six, baby!

https://youtu.be/xFuk-Fk6GyA

Gawd that brings back memories.
    My first car was a Valiant of that era (the Plymouth version of that venerable sled) with the *whopping* 170 cid slant-six.
    It did 0-60 in about 3 days.
    I vividly remember getting passed by fully loaded semis while going up the Wurtsboro hill on NYS rt.17 on my way to college.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Passed by loaded semis? Crazy. Even my 1500cc Civic doesn't get passed by them on the seriously steep grades going up the mountains on I70 west.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Actually, I assume the nuts are metric; who knows?

That's what she said!