why is cable lengths in meters

Options
When ever I have to much time on my hands I think of stupid sh%t like this. We still live in the U.S and I think we still use feet and inches,calibers for ammo measurements unlike the rest of the world that use meters and wacky conversions like type 303 ammo which equals 30 caliber or a 12.7mm machine gun is 50 caliber. Is there any reason U.S. makers use the universal meter language. Hey thankfully we still drive on the left side.
Oh, I do have a conversion chart right next to me so I know wtf lengths are talked about.
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    and why isn't it spelt metre? :*
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Good point my conversion chart took the American way out w/ METERS...LOL
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    because most all cable is made over seas where most of the world is metric.

Lew do you know why the Brits and their colony's drove on the left?

So they could still hold their sword in their right hand...I'm not making this up.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You have way, way too much time on your hands !!!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'd prefer they measure lengths in rods or furlongs, personally

1 meter = 0.199 rod

1 meter = 0.00497 furlong

;)

In seriousness (well, relatively speaking), a meter is 39.37 inches, or a little more (about 3-1/3 inches) than a yard. Think of a meter as a yard and, whoopie, the cable mfg. is giving you more for your money! It's like getting 9% more for free! Such a deal!

• leftwinger57
    Options
    Doc,but how many fathoms ? The thing with the sword is correct but I also heard it was in deference for farmers and their wagons,carts and tractors for some reason or another. The scene w/ Chevy Chase in a round-about was priceless.
    About to much time on these here hands, I can't argue w/ the truth.

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Unfathomable.

;)

EDIT: Actually -- come to think of it -- a one fathom pair of "interconnects" would be a pretty good length for many folks; two or three fathom lengths for speaker cables.

I couldn't possibly have put it any better than Wikipedia does:
    There are two yards in an Imperial fathom

:#
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2017
    Options
    oh, and I just had another, corollary thought about this whole feet-meters thing.

I mean, who wouldn't want a stereo power amplifier with two big old illuminated feet on the front panel?

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I like to measure in metric, my wife says I look bigger ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    A centimeter versus a millimeter. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    edited March 2017
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    A centimeter versus a millimeter. :)

I like centimeters vs inches :)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• BlueFox
    Options
    I wish we had switched to the metric system. I can count to 10.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    Options

I sometimes meticulously convert to metric because fractional dimensions in US conversions are a PITA to pin point precision

• mhardy6647
    Options
    In my professional life, we're all metric, all the time.
    Not so much outside of the lab, though.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    LOL. No s h ! t.

I should Google this, but we lost a spacecraft to Mars because two teams were developing the software. One was using US measurements, and the other was using the metric system. The results were close enough to get it there, but the difference between 36" and 39.3701 inches over millions of miles can throw it off a tad. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »

Lies. You can count to six or twelve. If there are still beers in the case nobody counts. That only happens when it's empty.

Twenty four hours in a day.
    Twenty four beers in a case.
    Coincidence?
    I think not.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Another conspiracy.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Dang. That would explain it.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Fake facts.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Fake facts.

"Conspiracy"
    get it right

• helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    Options
    When it comes to wire, we sell some in meters and some in feet on the website. It really depends on the manufacturer. Some sell and price in meters and some sell and price in feet. But I'll sell you cable lengths in any measurement you want! millimeters, centimeters, inches, feet, yards, meters, You name it. :)
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Hysterical thread!

I hate math with a passion and had enough trouble with regular math, trying to teach me metrics was NOT/didn't succeed!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Metric is far easier.
    "our" american system is really tough, as it is all mostly memorized units of measure, and random amounts of one make up the next bigger or smaller unit of another size.

Seems many are hanging on to our system out of nostalgia mostly.
    Our system is very hard to learn, anyone ever cook here??

People tend to be lazy and hate change.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    I'd love to go just Metric, life would be so much easier. Go buy a 2x4 at the Lumber yard. Go ahead and measure it and see what it really is. It's not 2x4
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I'd love to go just Metric, life would be so much easier. Go buy a 2x4 at the Lumber yard. Go ahead and measure it and see what it really is. It's not 2x4

The funny thing, a lot of stuff is metric in the USA, and then on the other hand, a lot of stuff is not.
    We measure all types of things, in liters, Grams, kilograms and many things are measured in centimeters, millimeters and so on.
    Its like we are afraid to really let go and move to Metric.

Cars, Science, and a lot of other things are universally in metric here and worldwide, but we still stick with Feet, and Ounces on some things.
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Metrics great for the math in measure But in terms of speed and temp the scale seems to large for comfortable practicability ie -15 Celsius /100 km a hour snds excessively cold and rather fast
    Post edited by befuddle on
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    What gets me is tires -- you know, when you have a set of 225/65R17 tires on your, umm, for a wild example, RAV4. 225 mm tread width, 65% aspect ratio tires -- on 17 inch wheels. With metric nuts and lugs. Actually, I assume the nuts are metric; who knows?

• leftwinger57
    Options
    Look at what I started. Cathy we have at least the math thing in common. I was so bad they what's called now socially promoting a student. I never passed algebra 1 never. They didn't know what to do w/ me. I hated it so much I walked out of my math SATs. How, you might ponder, well a few drops of Ipikak syrup will make you throw up hence a sick out and a rescheduled test. I never went back and the only school who would take me for free was Bronx C.C. There is a very deep rooted phyc reason for all of this but this isn't the Dr. Phil show and it's a very touchy subject w/ me. I forgot about the whole temperature differences also.

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    It's all madness, if we just went Metric like the entire rest of the world, our lives would be so much easier.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.