Basil Hayden's

A worker at my local liquor store turned me on to it and I suggest you whiskey drinkers give it a shot. It's tough to beat, especially for the price. I predict a bottle or two will make an appearance at LSAF.
Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Umm...thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully I can find it in Waco!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    +1 on Basil Haydens, a fine spirit indeed!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Glad you're enjoying it!

The world of whisky is vast, and delicious.

Explore carefully!
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Glad you're enjoying it!

The world of whisky is vast, and delicious.

Explore carefully!

Indeed. Basil Haydens is tasty ... and kind of a gateway drug. Enjoy!
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Another tasty under rated and widely ridiculously cheap option (in Rye whiskey) is Old Overholt...

Better than ryes costing 3-10 times as much.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Basil is good. I know a bottle Col. Taylor small batch will be at the meet. Too bad I quit drinking. Guess it's a good thing for you guys or Col Taylor wouldn't have made the trip.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Me and whiskey don't get along well. Makes me do/say things my old arse can't back up anymore...
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    I enjoy that whole line up. Knob Creek at the bottom, then the Basil Hayden's, then Bakers, and Booker's at the top. The goal of the Bakers and the Bookers is alcohol content. They are both much higher then the Basil Hayden's. But you certainly can't beat it for the smoothness and flavor
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • kharp1
    Knob and Bakers are almost the same in strength. Knob was my standard for many years. Just has no finesse, though. Booker's is the same way. I use to spend a lot time in Bardstown, KY and met Booker from a mutual friend about 30 years. My first taste of Booker's came from Booker. At that time Booker's was probably the only barrel proof bourbon out. It was a novelty, in my opinion, as it's claim to fame was "it was really powerful." I never felt like it offered the finesse of other brands, and, as the bourbon market has exploded, others, such as George T. Stagg has shown how a barrel proof bourbon should taste.

Basil is almost an anomaly in that it's bottled at 80 proof, which helps account for it's smoothness.
  • Upstatemax
    Never been a big fan of Bookers...

For the price, Noah's Mill is an amazing, high alcohol bourbon. Michter's Cask Strength Rye has been outstanding as well.

Eagle Rare 10 is pound for pound the best bourbon for the $$, IMO. If you're that tight on $$, the regular Buffalo Trace is pretty darn good (same mash bill as Eagle 10 IIRC).

HillRock's Solera is fantastic if you're looking for something a bit different.

Jeffersons is also quickly becoming one of my favorite brands. Their "Very Old" bottling is tasty...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Me and whiskey don't get along well. Makes me do/say things my old arse can't back up anymore...

I can tell :D
    vnlr2432dd0y.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kharp1
    @Upstatemax I agree, in my opinion, everything coming out of Buffalo Trace is good. Buffalo Trace, Elmer T. Lee, Stagg, Col. Taylor, W.L. Weller and the entire Vintage collection is as good as it gets. Oh, forgot Eagle Rare is under their umbrella as well. Eagle Rare does some special bottlings that are usually pretty dang good as well.

Heck, I'm thirsty now!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2017
    I really liked Basil Hayden's & Woodford Reserve at 1st but now i fine them to Smooth and like something with more of a bite. Knob Creek has become my favorite now.

Maker's Mark Cask Strength is trouble in a bottle ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Upstatemax
    voltz wrote: »

Anything Cask Strength is trouble in a bottle ;)

Fixed it for you.

B)

• Stew
    edited February 2017
    I've moved to higher rye/higher proof bourbons that are a touch on the sweet side. Four Roses Single Barrel and Wild Turkey Rare Breed top my list of readily available/reasonably affordable bourbons that fit that bill. Basil Hayden's hits two out three (high rye, a touch sweet). If only they made a 100 proof version.
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • kharp1
    Before I quit drinking I was moving away from the rye. Just didn't like the rye spice. One of my Favorites was Weller Antique, which had no rye and was about the smoothest bourbon I'd ever tasted. Only released once a year and hard to get, but, well worth the effort.
  • Stew
    I've tried Weller just not the antique version. Good stuff but I missed the rye. I guess that's why they make so many varieties. Once you find a version you like, it's not too hard to find others with a similar mash bill.
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Upstatemax
    I feel like this thread needs this:

quote-you-know-what-my-drink-is-jack-daniel-s-yes-that-is-a-wild-man-drink-that-should-come-with-bail-dave-attell-207816.jpg
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    A worker at my local liquor store turned me on to it and I suggest you whiskey drinkers give it a shot. It's tough to beat, especially for the price. I predict a bottle or two will make an appearance at LSAF.

Just picked up a bottle at twin liquors dollar sale for $34. It better be good!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    edited February 2017
    Five Fathers Rye is one of my favorites.

https://www.caskers.com/five-fathers-pure-malt-rye-whiskey/

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2017
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Just picked up a bottle at twin liquors dollar sale for $34. It better be good!!!

it will be :) I kept mine in the freezer as I like a ice cold shot that just slides down.

this Chris Stapleton song just popped into my head
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zAThXFOy2c
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    We were coming home from Charleston Saturday and stopped at a well stocked liquor store in Pawley's Island. South Carolina liquor sales are not govt regulated and heavily taxed as in N.C.; so I try to stock up when passing through SC. Picked up some good ones, most of which we NEVER even hope to see here:

Eagle Rare
    Angels' Envy
    Col Taylor Small Batch
    Col Taylor Single Barrel
    Buffalo Trace Single Barrel
    Blanton's
    Woodford (my default neat)

Looking forward to a blind tasting of these and sipping (hopefully) through the fall.

BTW, we were in Charleston to see Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears from Austin. They were outstanding. Impossibly loud in the small club, but non-stop high gear rocknsoulfunkjam. They don't do an awful lot of touring, so if they play anywhere within a reasonable drive, I suggest you try to catch them. But take earplugs! Seriously.

Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • kharp1
    Col. Taylor single barrel is one of my favorites. Blanton's very good as well. Never had the Buffalo Trace single barrel.
  • Upstatemax
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Col. Taylor single barrel is one of my favorites. Blanton's very good as well. Never had the Buffalo Trace single barrel.

Picked up a bottle of Col Taylor on a whim a few months ago for a "bromance" evening with my best buddy (it's what our wives call it...).

Lot's of music, steak and movies...

Needless to say, the bottle did not survive the evening.

Went back out a few days later and made sure it's constantly available from now on.

B)
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Yeah, good stuff. I like a lot of the Buffalo Trace bourbons and I'm with you on the Taylor SB. This store had bought a barrel of the Buffalo Trace and was selling it at 45% for $29. Wishing I had bought more than one bottle, hehe.

Recently finished up a bottle of Blanton's that was bottled in 1983. Discovered it hiding waaay back in the bar cabinet, hehe. None smoother. But it had lost all spice, leaving only a very slight hint of vanilla. Interesting to experience though.

Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Upstatemax
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Recently finished up a bottle of Blanton's that was bottled in 1983.

That was bottled the year I was born...

Lol.

• Stew
    I usually keep a bottle of Blanton's in the cabinet along with the Four Roses SB and Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Good stuff neat!
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Yep2 wrote: »
    40 Creek is the good stuff to me.
    Mixed.
    Slapping me around as I type this... :'(
    sog6owfeow15.jpg

I do like me some 40 Creek.
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Well??? You've had 6 hours, let us know what you think :D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden