Basil Hayden's

124»

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Woodford double oak should be pretty easily found.

I picked up a bottle of Pikesville Straight Rye the other day at the recommendation of my buddy. It’s good stuff!
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Woodford double oak should be pretty easily found.

I picked up a bottle of Pikesville Straight Rye the other day at the recommendation of my buddy. It’s good stuff!

The Pikesville is one of my favorites. If you like Rye give the WhistlePig Rye a try.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Recently grabbed a bottle of Basil Hayden Dark Rye. Very enjoyable pour. Smooth without much burn.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    If you haven’t already, try Basil Hayden 10 year. They typically release it in the fall. I like the regular Basil Hayden, but it is one of the smoothest bourbons I’ve had, which sometimes (to me) makes it taste like it is lacking some character. It just doesn’t have that punch to it, or burst of flavors that a lot of bourbons have. Sometimes that’s A okay, just depends on my mood.

The ten year is like if you take the smoothness but also add more flavor and character to it. It’s great.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited June 2023
    Not one of my favs. The BH just lacks a lot.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    tratliff wrote: »
    Not one of my favs. The BH just lacks a lot.

Blanton's Single Barrell as a regular sipper.
    Willett's Pot Still Reserve for when friends are over but I don't want to break out the really hard to find stuff.
    My last bottle of Barterhouse for when there are special occasions.

But I also keep a very wide range of whiskeys from all over the globe on hand so any whiskey drinker feels at home.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Just called our liquor store and told them to hold a few bottles of New Riff for me, yum!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,022
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Another tasty under rated and widely ridiculously cheap option (in Rye whiskey) is Old Overholt...

Better than ryes costing 3-10 times as much.

Tried an Old Overholt on clearance that was very good. Next one was not good.
    Have you seen much variance in it?
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    muncybob wrote: »
    Just called our liquor store and told them to hold a few bottles of New Riff for me, yum!

That is a tasty one for sure. Grabbed a couple of bottles when we were in KY for Russ' wedding last year.
    CGTIII wrote: »
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Another tasty under rated and widely ridiculously cheap option (in Rye whiskey) is Old Overholt...

Better than ryes costing 3-10 times as much.

Tried an Old Overholt on clearance that was very good. Next one was not good.
    Have you seen much variance in it?

I haven't on Old Overholt but the Very Old Barton we use as our primary cooking bourbon, it seems to be a roll of the dice from bottle to bottle.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    We tend to use Old Overholt in cocktails, I think it has been really good in that application. Haven’t noticed variation, but probably wouldn’t when it is mixed.
  • CGTIII
    For the price I like Evan Williams BiB mixed 1:1 or 1:2 with Very Old Barton. Gives the oak and depth of EW and also cuts the sweetness of the VOB. Under $80 for 4.5L! (when buying 1.5Ls here in GA)

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Every time I see this thread title, I think it's about some boxy British speakers.
    I disabled signatures.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Evan Wlliams BIB is my usual drink, very underrated and well priced. Just finishing up a 2 week project replacing 100+ 10' fence boards and 4X4 posts at the barn, celebrating with some BIB tonight!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    muncybob wrote: »
    Evan Wlliams BIB is my usual drink, very underrated and well priced. Just finishing up a 2 week project replacing 100+ 10' fence boards and 4X4 posts at the barn, celebrating with some BIB tonight!

Agreed. The EW BiB is my go to for mixers, but it’s certainly good enough to be poured neat. It’s the best bang for the buck that I’ve found…and I’ve looked long and hard😁
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • CGTIII
    EW BiB bothered my stomach by itself, even on the rocks. Mixed with the VOB, no problem.
    4qavqdm3hh66.png