Anybody into BBQ/Smoking?

Options

Comments

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited February 2017
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    @Erik Tracy how do you like the WSM? Has it held up well? Can you smoke a full brisket on it? I am thinking that might be my b-day/father's day gift this year...if I have any say ;-)
    The WSM is holding up nicely.

I did use the NOMEX tape seal around the loading door which helped alot with air gaps and temp control - the stock door is a bit of a joke (but this is true across all the WSMs).

The biggest brisket I've smoked was only 12lbs and I did have to 'tuck' the ends under to get it to fit.

Also, I can only fit 2 full rib racks on the top rack laying flat(after cutting each rack into halves). To do more requires either rolling the racks or using a rib rack.

The most I've done is 4 racks using a rib rack - the ends need to be bent/curved to fit.

I have not tried using the lower rack at the same time - no need to as of yet.

So if you are doing bbq for large numbers - the 22 is what you want. However, I've heard the 22 is a fuel hog and a bit harder to control the temp for lower cooks.

For a family of 4, the 18.5 works well.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options
    Good One - Open Range Smoker - Gen 1

f7b0nm7jxumu.jpg
    kk4h4tvmn1vq.jpg
    sn6qz37j10ya.jpg
    i6xd76yns5d2.jpg
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I don't have personal experience with the WSM but have heard great things. I do recommend the Akorn though. Available at 299.99 at Home Depot and Lowe's. It is just as happy smoking a brisket for 14 hours as it is searing a steak at 700. For me it was a stepping stone to something that will be a lifetime investment but for many people it is an end all grill

I LOVE the look and features of the Akorn, and there are tons are great reviews. BUT, there are a LOT of folks on amazon who complain about the QC and longevity. I don't want to throw 3 bones at something that might not last more than a couple of years, so I'm leaning away from it at the moment.

How long have you had yours and how has it held up?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Thanks @Erik Tracy I have a family of six, and I do like to smoke for/with friends, so that could be an issue...have to do some more research!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    I don't have personal experience with the WSM but have heard great things. I do recommend the Akorn though. Available at 299.99 at Home Depot and Lowe's. It is just as happy smoking a brisket for 14 hours as it is searing a steak at 700. For me it was a stepping stone to something that will be a lifetime investment but for many people it is an end all grill

I LOVE the look and features of the Akorn, and there are tons are great reviews. BUT, there are a LOT of folks on amazon who complain about the QC and longevity. I don't want to throw 3 bones at something that might not last more than a couple of years, so I'm leaning away from it at the moment.

How long have you had yours and how has it held up?

I've had mine for about two years now. It has held up beautifully. I bought a cover and always keep it covered but I have no major concerns about longevity,. Could easily last another 5 years or more. I bet the vast majority of those negative reviews are from people that really don't know how to take care of stuff.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Erik Tracy
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks @Erik Tracy I have a family of six, and I do like to smoke for/with friends, so that could be an issue...have to do some more research!

You can cook for 6 on the 18.5 - esp a good hefty pork butt for pulled pork, or if you use a rib rack for ribs, or a nice sized brisket. Just don't expect any leftovers.

When I do bbq, I plan to cook enough for the initial feast, but then some left overs the next day for another meal.

If you can master using both racks you can increase your 'yield'.

I haven't tackled that as of yet.

You'll have to do your own trade off analysis for fuel vs cost vs yield.

I will say that the WSM can turn out some of the tastiest Q I've ever done.

Ain't it fun? ;)

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I'll smoke a good cigar.

gvjec7f06k0s.jpg

Opus X Lost City. I'll take one of those.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I don't know of anyone who does BBQ/Smokers/Grills
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    Options
    The green one is my Ugly Drum smoker I built for my house, the big guy is at our river place for feeding lots of people.

jd5g1pdabcuv.jpg
    rwxb5f5z4szp.jpg
    7648lslu8yvt.jpg
  • stangman67
    Options
    Built this for my new Vision ceramic kamado this weekend. Grill should be here on Thursday, hope next weekend is nice!

IMG_20170226_131648_zpsqe51sqab.jpg

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Erik Tracy
    Options
    Very cool!

I sometimes wish I had more 'work surface' when using my WSM. Your setup looks sweet.

• stangman67
    Options
    Thanks, I am really excited for all the real estate I'll have. Table only cost me 100 bucks to built as well

• stangman67
    Options
    New smoker is a huge success. Love it especially for the price

IMG_20170304_141952_zpsdpi9fx4g.jpg

• stangman67
    Options
    Come over whenever!

• Erik Tracy
    Options
    New smoker is a huge success. Love it especially for the price

IMG_20170304_141952_zpsdpi9fx4g.jpg

The bottle opener is mandatory - nice touch.

Now...get to seasoning that rig...looks too....clean. ;)

• stangman67
    Options
    Good eats tonight

IMG_20170305_192350_zpsnej3znkd.jpg

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I made the mistake (sort of) of buying the Weber WSM 18" and like others have said about ribs are tight to get in there and my pork shoulders. Wish I had the 22'

for me I had luck just filling the ring full on charcoal and about 30 lit ones on top for 11 hours of smoking.

For chicken I cut out the backbone then chop in half 2 halves per shelf (1 chicken) and marinate for 6-12 hours in Cuban sour oranges as they are to sour to eat but perfect for marinating - can't remember their names.

then just open all 3 bottom vents & like it get as hot as it wants, in 2 hours it is always done -and they are so moist you could squeeze water out of them :)

Mojo Criollo they call the marinate

Mojo simply means "sauce" and is pronouced like "MOH-hoh", not "moe-joe" (we're not in an Austin Powers movie here) and criollo, pronounced "kree-OH-yoh", is a term that means "of Spanish descent" (i.e. Spain) and is usually applied to things (or people!) from Central or South America and the Spanish-speaking Caribbean.

x200bhgjws3n.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    the way i do my ribs is while the smoker is coming up to temp, i put some mesquite flavored sea salt that i got from world market then course ground black pepper and blues hog rub. the blues hog gives them a great color and just the right amount of that something something to put them over the edge.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • voltz
    edited March 2017
    Options
    That the stuff I was talking about! forgot it was sold by GOYA :)

BTW! if you pull all the chicken off the bones and shred it, it is perfect for any Dish that needs some chicken.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• marvda1
    Options
    here's some ribs.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • voltz
    Options
    ^^^^^^
    How much would it cost me to buy a slab? o:)

Someday I'm going to move next door ;)

• stangman67
    Options
    Yum ribs! I was a out to do some ribs today but I figured I'd save that for next weekend

• marvda1
    Options
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    edited March 2017
    Options
    here you can order from world market.
    http://www.worldmarket.com/search.do?query=blues+hog
    the bbq sauce is also to die for.
    in competition bbq the top three sauces are sweet baby rays, blues hog, and head country.
    Puritan PSM156
  • stangman67
    Options
    I use a homemade rub that sounds very similar to what you just linked, cumin instead of onion (powder I suppose)

• voltz
    edited March 2017
    Options
    my local store has the sauce if you can believe it. and it is very very good,

but in Kansas we use Curly's BBQ sauce mostly ;) used to be made in Hutch but now in Kansas City I think....cook it for a hour and it doesn't break down like others.

BTW Zach send me a pm if you want to share, I use a home made rub to of smoked paprika and others stuff I got off the web somewhere.

• marvda1
    Options
    i use to try to make my own rub but you have to measure exact to get the same taste every time. and if you are like me when you are out of one ingredient you are too lazy to run to the store and thus the rub comes out tasting different each time.
    Puritan PSM156
  • voltz
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My local store has a great deal on Pork Sholuders if you buy the But & the Picnic together. So I always do and I don't even notice which is the Picnic anymore.

Shred it and forget it! let my stomach sort it out!

VVVV
    I use Mason Jars for that Zach! agree you don't want to run out
    Post edited by voltz on

• stangman67
    Options
    Solution is to make a lot at one time! I have enough to last me months

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Solution is to make a lot at one time! I have enough to last me months
    Another is to just buy some pre-made rub; the offerings of the McCormick company,
    especially their GrillMates line, are tasty, inexpensive, and consistently made. I used to do my own rubs too, I've found that theirs are better. Really.

@stangman67, which smoker is your new one? I looked at Vision website but can't seem to locate it (at least in that color?).

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/