Anybody into BBQ/Smoking?

Options
Such a beautiful day here in Maryland, so I got a 10 pound brisket in my smoker right now. 8 hours in and only at 167 degrees! Lots of time left to go. Anybody else got a smoker?

Zach
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Yes Sir one of my hobbies. I smoked some trout and lobster tails last weekend. Good times Zach!
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,197
    Options
    That's awesome. I haven;t experimented with fish. For now I am using the Akorn Kamado style smoker but looking to upgrade into a ceramic kamado. Going to Sam's tomorrow to see if they have any of the Visions in stock. What do you use?

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    Oh yeah me too. I use a 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. I mainly do pork butts and ribs but I enjoy brisket as well. I'm in the mood for a cook too!
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Smoked brisket is my favorite food. Got my mouth watering!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • stangman67
    Options
    This is my smoker. I have a Auber PID to control temps but even with that I cannot keep it at 225, the fire slowly dies and then I have to open the top vent up completely to revive it, and then it way overshoots and its a constant struggle. If I set it to 240ish it does alright but I still need to watch it. Definitely time to go ceramic I think. I'll post some pics of the brisket when its done, probably gonna be another 5 or 6 hours though

IMG_20170219_161112_zpstq2dctrf.jpg

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,429
    Options
    Got the BGE but I haven't used it so far this season. Got a little lazy last year after the purchase of a propane grill. The BGE has been in use for over a decade or so, love the end results.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • stangman67
    Options
    I'm not so sure could ever use a gas grill again. Sure it is convenient but man the results out of a charcoal smoker is fantastic, and I find it incredibly fun as well. Throw back some beer and sit outside

• stangman67
    Options
    12 and a half hours of fighting with this grill (no I didn't wrap while on the smoker). Just need to let it sit for a while before sampling. Took it off at 199 degrees.

IMG_20170219_202916_zps5gf9uuoc.jpg

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,429
    Options
    I got the gas grill for breakfast items and things that only take 5-10 minutes to cook. The BGE is for longer cooking items like what is pictured above. I am liking the gas grill for the convenience of quick cooking items. Got tired of spending more time prepping the BGE than actual cooking time. Know what I mean?

The BGE ain't goin' anywhere. She's a workhorse.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • stangman67
    Options
    I get where you are coming from Tom. I had a gas grill when I first got the Akorn and I found myself wanting to use the gas grill for convenience , but I really preferred the results when using the akorn, even for the quick jobs such as burgers and steaks. It is definitely more of a commitment but I am enjoying it for now

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,882
    Options
    this is my smoker, a rockin' w 24"by 48" insulated firebox smoker.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • stangman67
    Options
    Wow look at that beauty! You must be throwing some big parties with a smoker of that size. I'm not sure I have enough friends to warrant a smoker like that

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I use an old school R2D2. Will upgrade one of these days. I find it fun to smoke things most folks don't think about trying.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Wow Marv! That smokin rig says you mean business. Ain't no rookie drivin that big rig.

I've known Marvin for 6yrs now, several gatherings and 6 LSAF's and not a single sample of his BBQ....WTH
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Damn and that is one impressive smoker. I use a traeger pellet here. Nice smoker marv
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I'll smoke a good cigar.

gvjec7f06k0s.jpg
  • oldmodman
    Options
    Love smoking beef and pork. Never have good luck with fowl.
    I used to use my big horizontal smoker. it took a lot of lump coal and wood.
    Now I just use my Weber kettle and the "snake" method.
    Here is the snake method. it works incredibly well, it is easy to do, it uses way less wood, and it's nearly automatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGRbyg_zeI
  • deucekazoo
    Options
    I have a Green Mountain Pellet grill. I love that thing and smoke/grill all year round. I just smoked some pork shoulder for the Super Bowl. It turned out really good, but made way too much. I also like smoking cheese. I only use the grill as a holder. I have a smoking tube I use so the cheese does not melt(cold smoke). Only down side with cheese is that you have to let it rest in the fridge for a month before you can try it.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I smoked a 9 lb pork shoulder yesterday. 225 @ just shy of 17 hours. Took it up to 200. Wrapped it up in foil after 6 -7 hours when it hit the stall.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    Options
    After I trimmed it up, it was probably more towards 8 lbs or 8. whatever before smoking.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,910
    Options
    Don't have a smoker, love them but not sure I have the patience for the time it takes.

Speaking of BBQ, Chicago was 65 degrees, I was eating outside on the deck in February...in Chicago. Had to throw some ribeye and fillet mignon on the grill just to smell that smell again....and of course eat. Dang, I could never be a vegetarian.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    12 and a half hours of fighting with this grill (no I didn't wrap while on the smoker). Just need to let it sit for a while before sampling. Took it off at 199 degrees.

IMG_20170219_202916_zps5gf9uuoc.jpg

Now that's impressive. What kind of rub do you use?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    This is my smoker. I have a Auber PID to control temps but even with that I cannot keep it at 225, the fire slowly dies and then I have to open the top vent up completely to revive it, and then it way overshoots and its a constant struggle. If I set it to 240ish it does alright but I still need to watch it. Definitely time to go ceramic I think. I'll post some pics of the brisket when its done, probably gonna be another 5 or 6 hours though

IMG_20170219_161112_zpstq2dctrf.jpg

Keep the top vent open at least half way always. Control temps with intake.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • stangman67
    Options
    Doesn't work like that on this akorn, too leaky. If I keep the top open half and the bottom closed it will get way too hot. My PID barely ever activates the blower to keep temp, even with the top barely cracked on my Akorn.

• stangman67
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »

Now that's impressive. What kind of rub do you use?

I just used an off the shelf Bone Suckin Sauce Steak Rub. Turned out ok, little bit dry which I attribute to the smoker getting too hot at times and dried the meat out. Actively looking at ceramic cookers at the moment, will probably order one today at some point

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Here's my tailgator smoker pit. The last pic is a factory pic
    391ubre9gqdf.jpg
    tp7k6nza69rn.jpg
    46xokjw3yfki.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stangman67
    Options
    That thing is cool! I just pulled the trigger on a ceramic Kamado. WIll take a few weeks to get here, but will give me time to try and sell my Akorn

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    Yup. Got a 18.5 WSM
    1-29-17-Ribs-and-Beer.jpg

Last cook was St. Louis ribs done to smoked tender deliciousness
    1-29-17-Rib-Done.jpg

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,995
    Options
    @Erik Tracy how do you like the WSM? Has it held up well? Can you smoke a full brisket on it? I am thinking that might be my b-day/father's day gift this year...if I have any say ;-)
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • stangman67
    Options
    I don't have personal experience with the WSM but have heard great things. I do recommend the Akorn though. Available at 299.99 at Home Depot and Lowe's. It is just as happy smoking a brisket for 14 hours as it is searing a steak at 700. For me it was a stepping stone to something that will be a lifetime investment but for many people it is an end all grill