Bi Amping LSiM 703s?

2»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited February 2017
    K_M wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Every amp I have used in my system sounds markedly different. K_M, I can tell you've never critically listened to a higher end amp. If you did, your opinions would be different.

H9

That is a logical fallacy.
    Circular reasoning.

Anyone that disagrees obviously does not have a legitimate understanding, if they did, they would agree with me.

Never said anything about amps sounding the same, wrong person.
    I get what you are trying to say, but it is simply not correct in my case.

I think we are back to the same logic I see several use in this forum:
    Anyone is free to disagree, but they are always wrong......lol

This is the post you made I'm referring to (for clarity)

on our separate amps, yes there "Is" a difference, but not nearly as pronouned as I have seen many say. It matters mostly if running without a sub and at high levels for sure, but at moderate levels or even somewhat loud, mostly a non issue, even with the cheapo yamaha to our surprise

Bold is what I was commenting on specifically. Better, high end amps, vastly improve lower level listening.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited February 2017
    WTF?
    Getting back to the original question, bi-amping 703's is a waste of
    time and money unless you have an external crossover.

oh, if you have a pre high/low bass management, all the better.
    Then all you have to do is crawl in there and figure out where the
    slight ringing is coming from.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    For anyone who needs a TLDR for *ANY* one of @K_M posts, I offer:

Now that got my panties in a bind!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    tonyb wrote: »
    A generalization followed by a flawed conclusion. Logical Fallacies.

Unless one has heard every Amp and every AVR.......One is making a generalization based on one's own very limited personal experience or simply their opinion or likes.

"If one knows HOW to listen" falsely implying that anyone that disagrees or does not share the same opinion, does not know how "to listen".

One can not "Trust their ears" and at the same time put out absolute statements.
    Absolute statements have no place in a subjective endeavor.

You can not have it both ways.

That takes some critical listening abilities, ***not your passive casual ones***. :)

I get it, to some degree, the realm of good listening skills is somehow only in older, mostly white males. But I suppose the skill of talking down, being right all the time, and a patronizing tone, is part of that listening skill set.

Ummmmm........did you really write that? Really!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited February 2017
    In regards to amps not making a difference at lower volumes.....all depends, most times it's not the amps fault but a failure to address other shortcomings within one's system. Could be cabling, impedance issues, synergy, material you listen to, etc.

...or the often overlooked room acoustics.
    Me being Female, has nothing to do with my comments.

If you use the forum search function for "panties in a bunch" (put in parentheses), you will find that the expression is used a lot on this forum from one male to another. It simply means "don't overreact". In this regard, you were being addressed just like "one of the guys".

e5givahyd91r.jpg

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Go eat some ice cream. Sheesh....

Do only the girls get ice cream? I want some ice cream.... :p

• K_M
    edited February 2017
  • K_M
    edited February 2017

To H9:

Got it!. I meant to say, after re reading that, IT MATTERS MORE IF NOT USING A SUB.
    I still say there is a difference, but I guess "Vastly" is not term I would use.

Actually we kinda did think more in line with your comment, until we spent half a day moving stuff around and experimenting, so sorry it was simply a comment based on..."hmmm thought it would matter more, but sort of was not all that big a change" after hooking up our cheap AVR unit, our expensive AVR and our one power amp.

Not a scientific test or anything special but more of a "Hmmm, interesting" thing we kinda both thought listening to Lee Ritenour.

With more critical listening time spent, perhaps I would go back to my original thinking, more in line with what you thought. Not sure.
    Sometimes listening too critically, is not more enjoyable.
    Finding the ultimate, is not always the same as just enjoying, and being moved by the music!

• "Sometimes listening too critically, is not more enjoyable."

ain't that the truth!
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Go eat some ice cream. Sheesh....

Do only the girls get ice cream? I want some ice cream.... :p
    Chocolate for me

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    "Sometimes listening too critically, is not more enjoyable."

For me this is an absolute fact, which is why I very seldom do it. I know what music I like and how I like to listen, doing anything other than that annoys me to no end.

I have spent most of today swapping cd's, SACD's & DVD-A in and out of my system, I'm exhausted. I just put my player back on so that I can just sit down and enjoy the tunes!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    And isn't this what it's all about?
    "Finding the ultimate, is not always the same as just enjoying, and being moved by the music!"
    Well said.
    And to each of us that path is different. Some are content with what we have, while some strive to squeeze that last bit of sound out of each hz.

And the music rolls on.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    How did I miss this thread...

At low levels a good amp makes a significant difference. It's not all about the volume. Listen to the dynamics. Of course it all depends on what kind of music you're listening to.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    F1nut wrote: »

You must be an old white guy.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • so bottom line DONT BI-AMP 703's with AVR or with a AMP AND WEAR BOXERS
    so they dont get into a bind. and just to help I use 705's as my fronts and as my back surounds with 702's as my rears and it works great for both music and ht
  • Update on my end RE: 703s.

I bi amped them today and noticed an improvement. Not revelotionary but it helped brighten up vocals and mids . My main concern before was they sounded sunken and drown out by bass. Also played a little bit with my speaker position.

Now I'm wondering if a lower gague wire can help. And if going to separate amp would help that much more

PS: I thought CFB recruiting chat rooms were tough. K_M and F1nut need a separate chat room.
    AVR: Marantz SR 5011
    L/ R: Polk Audio 703 LSiM (Bi Amp'd)
    C: Polk Audio 255c - LS
    R: Def Tech
    Sub: PSW 505 (12 inch)
    DVD: Oppo UDP 203
    TV: 2016 Sony XBR 75X850D
  • Also, I'm playing music thru Tidal HiFi connected wireless to Marantz.

Am I getting best sound that way? Recommendations?
    AVR: Marantz SR 5011
    L/ R: Polk Audio 703 LSiM (Bi Amp'd)
    C: Polk Audio 255c - LS
    R: Def Tech
    Sub: PSW 505 (12 inch)
    DVD: Oppo UDP 203
    TV: 2016 Sony XBR 75X850D
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Kingkwas wrote: »
    I bi amped them today and noticed an improvement. Not revelotionary but it helped brighten up vocals and mids . My main concern before was they sounded sunken and drown out by bass. Also played a little bit with my speaker position.

I guarantee the difference you're hearing is related to playing with speaker positioning, not biamping them. Speaker position can change the sound pretty dramatically, cheapest tweak there is.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Nightfall wrote: »

I guarantee the difference you're hearing is related to playing with speaker positioning, not biamping them. Speaker position can change the sound pretty dramatically, cheapest tweak there is.
    If his speakers are in the same place etc, he might have something.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Also, I'm playing music thru Tidal HiFi connected wireless to Marantz.

Am I getting best sound that way? Recommendations?

In my opinion....no. A separate dac would help out in streaming. Quality cabling also.

How are the speakers setup in the Marantz ? Small or large....do you have a subwoofer in the mix ? What are the speaker levels set at ? How are they placed in the room, how big is the room, and how far away do you sit ?

Lots of things will play into the sound you hear, it's not always just the speakers fault for poor sound.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable